Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the going rate for a full flow 289?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the going rate for a full flow 289?

Okay I've been told that I'm in the dark ages with what Stude parts are bringing these days.

Whats a 64 Full-flow 289 coupled to a manual 3o/d bring these days? It's a complete engine (2bbl) and loose.

A great deal depends upon the condition of the motor. If a recent rebuild can be proven, it could fetch a fairly good sum. I've seen them go for as much as 4k for the engine alone. With both engine and (excellent mileage guarenteed) O.D. tranny (also with condition documented) I could forsee an equally good price. Though perhaps it would be better to hear from Jeff, Dick, or good ol' Mr Biggs on this as they would know better than I. Wish I had the bucks. I'd love to have it. Then again...

Hey George! Here's the motor you need for that wagon!!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It's just a used engine that is loose and not "broken". Any condition beyond that would be speculative.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

It's just a used engine that is loose and not "broken". Any condition beyond that would be speculative.
        Transmission is probably a T-86--worth maybe $50-$100 on a good day.
        A full flow 2bbl 289 that spins freely and is not obviously broken but in otherwise unkown condition that is available LOCALLY? If I needed one I might pay 500-750 for it, but any more than that would have me walking away. I have turned down complete 224 and 259 "partial flow" motors that were offered for FREE if I would haul them away.

Comment

There is a running 289 and automatic out of a 63 Lark that is available here in Phoenix if anyone needs one.
          Denny L

Comment

We CASOs never pay more than scrap price for anything. However, looking at it another way, the retail vendors ask $250 for a good 289" crank core and $40 each for used rods. Add up Lionel Stone's or Bob Helm's published prices for individual parts and a good used 289" is worth $2500.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

It is ironic that good running engines are so cheep, when the expense of rebuilding them is steep(the rhyme is unintentional). Just the gasket set is what--$125-$150?

Comment

A rebuilt engine is smoother, quieter, more efficient, more powerful, but a CASO will never drive one long enough to pay for today's rebuild costs. "Good-running engines" usually aren't cheap. The Studebaker V8 is so durable, they are hard to kill. However, disassemble one advertised as good-running and lots of parts are worn beyond the Shop Manual wear limit. If it is still running on all eight, replace the valve stem oil seals, torque the head, set the valves, throw in a complete new ignition system and carb rebuild and keep driving it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Don't know what it's worth, but I'd sure like to have it for my Wagonaire! Of course, it's $300 in gas to go and get it

Maybe I'll need to head west for some other reason and can combine it... Now I just need an excuse

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Out of curiosity, just where is this motor?

Bams, if you could combine this one and the one in Phoenix, You'd have a pair with a spare!

Lotsa Larks!
                    Ron Smith
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Who said anything about a engine being for sale?

I was just trying to figure out if it was worth spending gas to haul a junk car home that I've owned for 3 years. It's come down to the point I have to go get it or I'll loose it.

Comment

I thought of that, Kent, but went on the assumption that it was for sale. Sorry about that.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Okay, I guess V8 engines have become a commodity.

Anyways, I was saving this for my 56 power hawk, but since I'm going to go spend a bunch of gas going and getting my junk car with the 289 in it, I offer the following (this time for sale):

Low-milage 1962 Studebaker V8 259 engine, runs great before pulled. Good oil pressure. Comes with attached working flight-o-matic transmission. Complete engine with all accessories except carb. Detailed and painted. $400. Free relay to South Bend area or can store for free once paid for.

Comment

Ahhhhh... you see, Grasshopper. If one just listens to the chatter long enough, the real purpose will reveal itself.

Good luck with the Hawk, Kent. The price of gas as has gotten obnoxious, hasn't it? The scary part is that there's no end in sight. Looks like 1974 all over again.

Lotsa Larks!
                            Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                            X