DG250 taking off in second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG250 taking off in second

Low works great from L and shifts into second when I select D however when I take off in D my Speedster takes off in second. The book says thats because
    The governor is sticking
    The governor valve or detent is sticking
    Second geer drive mechanism sticking in locked
    Weak or wrong governor spring
    Booster spring too strong.

The correction is to "Check and free up or replace as necessary"
    Thats great advice. Anybody got any better clues or corrective action?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Arent they supposed to do that? May just be later V-8's but I thought all stude V-8 automatics except the powershifts started out in second unless you manually selected low.I remember Dad changing to 6 cylinder transmissions to get a first gear start when he set one up to pull the motorcycle trailer.Someone will correct me if I am wrong.Good Luck,Steve
    sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

Arent they supposed to do that?
      1955 DG250M's started in low gear. They also had a lock up torque converter. Pretty nifty [8D]

(BTW, Powershifts start in second)

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Oddly enough, 1st gear start automatics showed up initially in the '54 Champion. Then for 55, all of the automatics started in 1st. Then for '56, the Flight-o-matics behind 289s (thru serial# AS2-5P 24,000) (President series) started out in 1st and then subsequently changed to 2nd gear start. FOMs behind 259s in '56 (Commander series) were 1st gear start thru trannyh # AS2-5J 19,000. starting with 19,001 they were 2nd gear stgart.
        I don't know about the DGs that were used in 56 trucks or Champions tho.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I stand corrected.Told you they would!Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry,I dont really know anything about correcting your problem.My GUESS is start with the governor and see if anything obvious is causing it to stick and the spring(s?) are still intact.I have never fooled with a stude automatic personally but the GM units I have worked on(not a lot of them either,I usually farm out automatic transmission problems) were easy to get to and into and pretty much self explanitory.Usually the problem was a broken spring or rust locking the weights.Good Luck with it,hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in with better advice.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Bill - It isn't clear to me if the car previously started in first or as long as you have had it it starts in second. The latter may mean that someone may have changed the transmission to an earlier second gear start transmission from the DG250 that your Speedster should have. If the former, I would first completely drain the transmission and torque converter, put in fresh fluid (to the correct level), drive for awhile and see what happens. Many control type problems on these transmissions are cured with a fresh fill of fluid to the proper level.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This car sat rusting in Afton, NY from 1974 until about 2001 when I got it. Before I ran it, I drained the oil out of the transmission and torque converter, changed some gaskets and seals and dumped in fresh fluid. When I first took it out, I had my hands full with engine and rear end things, gas peeing out of the gas tank vent onto the hot tail pipe and was so excited about not burning up in my newly restored car I did not worry about the transmission. I think it was always taking off in second since I got it back on the road after its 25 year break and have driven it about 700 miles. The other night my buddy was driving it back from our second Monday night Studebaker kook get together and he commented that it took off in second and that all 55s should start in first. I checked the tag on it tonight and it is a DG250-M, the version I'm told has the first gear start.
                Bill
                http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                sigpic

Comment

At least your's came with the right tranny in it. My project Speedster did come with a DG 200 in it. I didn't know it until some time after I had it rolled off the trailer into the garage.

Since then I've found a 250M for it. But it's gon'na be a long time before I ever drive it anyway.

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
                  . . . he became a down payment for. . .
                  Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

If it runs fine other wise, what's wrong with starting in second gear? Could be 'sludge' that will work out with time, an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X