This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Wagonaire needs a home!

In my travels today, I decided to stop in and visit with a real "character" of a car nut that I've only ever known by the name of Rusty. You'd think someone with a name like that would be a natural for Studebakering and to a degree, you'd be right.

I'd hadn't seen Rusty in a couple of years, but then he only ever showed up at my place when he needed the odd Stude part. I'd visited his "estate" a couple times at his urging and laid eyes on the MANY retired hulks he was harboring on his acreage. Two of these were Studebakers - one 62 Lark sedan and the other a '65 Wagonaire.
    Anyway, I learned from his ailing wife (widow actually) that Rusty had died in an auto accident 2 years prior! After we chatted a bit about her late hubby, I asked if the Studebakers were still amongst her holdings. She replied that the Wagonaire was still out in the field and was available to be bought. With her permission, I went out and had a gander to see if it looked like I remembered it and it pretty much did.
    It's a 65 V8 wagon - 3spd O/D car with factory AC and (I think) PS & PB. There was a bunch of "stuff" piled on the hood and I didn't feel like moving it so I could check on the PS & PB, so I don't know for sure. But it SEEMS like I noted those items when I saw it a few years ago. One glaring defect is it's missing it's original McKinnon V8, but that's not a big deal so far as I'm concerned. The tranny and bellhousing were laying in the rear of the car as well as the wheelcovers and some other bits and pieces.
    Man, the floorboards are SOLID from what I saw. The car is black on black and shiny black paint looked back at me when I pulled up corners of the carpet.
    There IS rot behind the left rear wheelwell as one would expect on a Wagonaire. But one thing that struck me was that I couldn't see ANY rust-thru along the lower edge of the tailgate. That would be one very desireable piece by itself!
    All glass is good (tinted) and even the original seat covers were intact as were the nice-looking door panels.

Alright, this gal's in a wheelchair and trying to scrape by. She's willing to sell this Wagonaire for $500 and it's a bargain for that even with the engine missing. I COULD go back and take photos if someone was REALLY interested. But I didn't have my camera with me and I won't go back just so we can all say "wow" and then forget about it.
    The car's filthy from sitting out for years, has surface rust on the hood but had good trim all around and didn't look to be bashed or scraped or rotten, save for the spot behind the left rear wheel well.
    Contact me if you want this gal's phone#, but please don't expect her to send photos or check to see if it's really got PS or PB or anything like that. She ain't able.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Where is this car located? I might be interested if its not to far away.
    David

Comment

Where is this car located? I might be interested if its not to far away.
      David

Comment

I know its too far for me It sounds like ssomething I'd sure like Bob but there is a bit of road between you and me

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I know its too far for me It sounds like ssomething I'd sure like Bob but there is a bit of road between you and me

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Dave, have you LOST YOUR MIND!?!?! When I think of StudeDave57, I don't think of a '57. I think of that pretty '65 Cruiser pulling up next to my old ragged '63 Daytona at that little show here in Hazlehurst. I recall, saying to my grandad, "Hey Papa, look, a '65 Stude, that's not ours!) (I was 10, just got the car from Mom, and that was the first time we met.) Then you paid a visit to our shop (Still remember that? I think you twisted your neck looking at the '65 Daytona two door.) Sweet Pee and you go together too well. But if things must go that way, I know you'll be sure to make sure it'll go to a good home.

OK, off the soapbox.

EDIT: For some reason, my post got posted above Dave's. [?]

[img]
            http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/020avatar_river.jpg[/img]

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/ (always under construction)

Comment

Dave, have you LOST YOUR MIND!?!?! When I think of StudeDave57, I don't think of a '57. I think of that pretty '65 Cruiser pulling up next to my old ragged '63 Daytona at that little show here in Hazlehurst. I recall, saying to my grandad, "Hey Papa, look, a '65 Stude, that's not ours!) (I was 10, just got the car from Mom, and that was the first time we met.) Then you paid a visit to our shop (Still remember that? I think you twisted your neck looking at the '65 Daytona two door.) Sweet Pee and you go together too well. But if things must go that way, I know you'll be sure to make sure it'll go to a good home.

OK, off the soapbox.

EDIT: For some reason, my post got posted above Dave's. [?]

[img]
              http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/020avatar_river.jpg[/img]

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/ (always under construction)

Comment

Just what I need~ another tempting car!!! I really would like to have a '65 Wagonaire as a driver~ Sweet Pea deserves a better home. [V]
                And to think that I just happen to have a 283 from a '66 Cruiser "just kickin'" around the garage... [:0] [^]
                Do I dare ask for pics?

StudeDave [8D]
                V/P San Diego County SDC
                San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just what I need~ another tempting car!!! I really would like to have a '65 Wagonaire as a driver~ Sweet Pea deserves a better home. [V]
                  And to think that I just happen to have a 283 from a '66 Cruiser "just kickin'" around the garage... [:0] [^]
                  Do I dare ask for pics?

StudeDave [8D]
                  V/P San Diego County SDC
                  San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, the car's here near me in central California. Dave, do you want photos? Are you serious about what you say???[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, the car's here near me in central California. Dave, do you want photos? Are you serious about what you say???[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Mr. Biggs~
                        Yes, it's true what I say- I'd like to get a 'new' daliy driver to replace Sweet Pea. She's been doin' it for me for 15 YEARS now~ [:0] [^] She needs a break~ and a better life!!!
                        I'm not so sure that 'Cleo' (my Packard) would be a very good choice, and 'Baby' (my '57 Commander) is now in need of some major work.
                        Please don't ask about the others- it's too depressing!!! [V]
                        Yes, it's also true that I have a 283 here...

StudeDave [8D]
                        V/P San Diego County SDC
                        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Mr. Biggs~
                          Yes, it's true what I say- I'd like to get a 'new' daliy driver to replace Sweet Pea. She's been doin' it for me for 15 YEARS now~ [:0] [^] She needs a break~ and a better life!!!
                          I'm not so sure that 'Cleo' (my Packard) would be a very good choice, and 'Baby' (my '57 Commander) is now in need of some major work.
                          Please don't ask about the others- it's too depressing!!! [V]
                          Yes, it's also true that I have a 283 here...

StudeDave [8D]
                          V/P San Diego County SDC
                          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I'm in Modesto, I was wondering if the car was close so I could drive over and see it.
                            Thanks,
                            David

Comment

I'm in Modesto, I was wondering if the car was close so I could drive over and see it.
                              Thanks,
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X