Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-series running boards?

Hi all--

A query from the local gent with the '46 M15 short-box stepside pickup...Having updated the wheels and tires on the truck, he is now looking to get rid of the huge, apparently homemade, square running boards the M now sports. Someone on here's going to know...is there a source for stock running boards for a short-box M series?

TIA

S.

There is no such thing as a short box M15 (unless, of course, he made his own). The M15 with a pickup box had a 120" wheelbase. The M5 (short box) had a 113" wheelbase. The M15 was a 1 ton pickup. The M5 was a 1/2 ton.

Stock running boards for an M5 are pretty hard to find. The trucks got used and abused and the running boards generally were one of the first items that were trashed. Running boards for M15's are even tougher to find since they made so few of those trucks.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a couple of new running boards that I believe to be for an M-15 or 15A? ( no part#) They are both lefts and look like take offs, when buyers wanted a saddle tank instead. The front of them are rounded and the back side is cut off square.I would have to dig them out but I think they are about 3 feet long. Probably would not work for you.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Don't most of the old style running boards mount on "outriggers" bolted to the frame of some sort or another? If so, would it be possible to use a modified Ford or other of the same era to get the 'look" till good ones are found?

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Good quality fiberglass running boards for M5 trucks are available from Class Glass Performance, also fenders and parts for some other Stude trucks.

The M15 had 120" wheelbase vs the 113" wheelbase of the M5, so maybe M5 boards are a little short.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks all!

I think the truck is an M5...had been taking "M15" from one of the dataplates on the firewall. It does have a noticeably short wheelbase particularly in comparison with the height of the cab. As I mentioned a while back when I posted a couple pix of the truck, I'm not yet very "up" on the Stude truck lines; sorry for the confusion.

Next time I see the gent with what I'll now call "the M", I'll give him the info...think he may well go for the fibreglass boards, as he wants the truck to retain its character, but isn't concerned about making subtle modernisations. Am encouraging him to join SDC too...

S.

Comment

I would like to know what a "sadle tank" is
              please?(Frank's post)
              I just read the post about comments in the photo
              forum,so i suspect that i should not ask this question
              in this post, even if it was mentioned here?

Regards
              Peet

Comment

A saddle tank is sometimes used in place of a running board on the drivers side to increase the amount of fuel that can be carried on the larger trucks. It also incorporates a step to ease cab entry. I was speculating a little as to the reason the dealer inventory we bought last year included four of them, all lefts,like new, but that showed signs of having been on a truck for a short time.

quote:Originally posted by Studewannabe

I would like to know what a "sadle tank" is
                please?(Frank's post)
                I just read the post about comments in the photo
                forum,so i suspect that i should not ask this question
                in this post, even if it was mentioned here?

Regards
                Peet
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                X