PDA

View Full Version : 47 commander carb

CHAMP
10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I think the Carter has a smaller base bolt pattern than your Stromberg on your Commander. Some of the 52-55 Rochesters would bolt to your intake manifold but you would have to change your thottle linkage and probably fuel line and vac. line and who knows what eles. best bet would probably to fix your carb. or find another one like it.Are you sure the problem is the Carb.[?]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

bailsout
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
can I substitute a champion carter carb for my stromberg? I'm getting a lot of backfiring at 50 mph and the only way to overcome it is to floor it. My compression,timing and dwell are good and it idles really smooth.
Denny

Scott
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure about an answer to your question, but I had a 1947 Commander and rebuilt the Stromberg carburetor myself. I never had backfiring of any kind, even when the unit was dirty and not working properly. You might be able to substitute, but I'm not sure that the manifold bolts are placed right for anything but the Stromberg.

CHAMP
10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I wasn't 100% sure about the size of the basa plate on the Carter and Stomberg. I looked in the shop manual and all I could find was 1-1/4 for size of both the Carter and the Stromberg. Maybe the Carter would bolt on the Commander intake manifold but I think it might run lean.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

bailsout
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I replaced the stromberg with a carter that was on a 49 commander and it bolted up fine with only some minor adjustments to linkage and vacuum line. If it's not a carburetor problem I don't know what it could be. I'll go back to my original stromberg after I open it up and inspect and clean or rebuild it. Thanks all for your responses.
Denny