PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Champion L/Frt. brake drum

50starlite
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Back again with my left front brake noise problem. It makes a rubbing noise on each revolution as the brakes are applied. These new shoes have less than 1200 miles on them and worked fine for about 800 miles. Things I've done to correct the problem: Turned the drum, reset the shoes and auto adj. plug, adj. brake, checked for rub or uneven wear spots on the shoes and drum, bled all cylinders, reset torque on spindle. The auto adj. works as it should as indicated by the shop manual.
The car stops straight and true, I just can't handle a noise that should not be there. Sooo, I think I'll just replace the drum. But a left front 1950 Champion drum is not a easy find, I've tried. I expect I'll have to settle for a used assembly, but that's o.k. as long as it's a good one. I need some help on this one guys. I can live with things like a gas gage that doesn't work, but not brake noises.

Dick
Mountain Home, Arkansas
http://livingintheozarks.com/studebaker.htm

CHAMP
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
The only difference between the left and right drum is the lug studs. Left drum has left hand threads and the right drum right hand threads. If you find a right drum just change the lug studs to left hand threads or change the lug nuts to right hand threads.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Roscomacaw
10-27-2006, 07:14 PM
What shape are the little steel spring clips that hold the shoes to the backing plates? If they were weak, I could see the shoes maybe twisting to where they didn't contact the drum face squarely. These little spring clips are peculiar to 1950.[:I]

As Champ says, no real difference between right and left drums save for the stud threads. Studebaker got away from that supposed safety factor after awhile, so you could use a RH drum (with RH thread nuts, of course) and no problems would result.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

50starlite
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Gary & Mr. Biggs,

Thanks for the input. I was already aware that the left front drum was ďpeculiarĒ to the 50 Champion, as are a lot of things to its front brakes, suspension and steering. I believe I can buy a new R.H. drum/hub from Stud. International but was hesitant about the R.H. threads. I really didnít think it would be a problem, but thought they did it for a reason.

Iíll try and find replacement retaining clips for the eccentric pins, if that doesnít fix the problem Iíll most likely replace the drum.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR

37CoupeE
10-28-2006, 01:56 AM
This may not be the problem but we encountered this with my fathers 47 Starlight Coupe.
He was having brake noise problems with his right front brake.
It was especially noticable during turns but then progressively got worse during regular drives.
Often we would pull to the side of the road, jack up the car remove the wheel and brake drum and inspect for what the cause was.
To make a long story short the spindle was starting to crack near the kingpin.
It took dye penetrant to make this visible.
He got a new spindle and the problem was solved.
Just another place to check.

Roscomacaw
10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Wow! that's a good one! Dick, if per chance, you NEED a spindle (and I might even have a good used drum - I'd have to measure one to see), I have one or two.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

50starlite
10-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I'll keep that in mind Mr. Biggs. I ordered new retainer clips and a return spring, I'll see what happens there first. Both front spindles are grooved, almost like they were made that way. Anyway, I'll check the spindle out very carefully. Thanks again.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR