What are the chances...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances...

I went to southern Oregon Friday to pick up another Studebaker project. On the way back my wife and I stopped at a rest area, I looked up and saw a (about '59) Lark cruising past. We got back on the road and caught up to him just as he was exiting. We gave him a good blast of the horn and waved. What are the chances of that happening. His license plate was "A LARK". So cool seeing another Studebaker cruising down the road.

1963 Cruiser, 2-1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based Willamette
    Valley Oregon.
    1952 Ford F-1, 1977 Lincoln Continental (all works in progress)

Neat encounter! Last Stude I met by chance on the road was a 64 Commander 2-dr. I knew the guy driving it, but our encounter was totally unplanned and quite some miles from home.

I've written in the past about having a blond-haired lass pull out onto the freeway ahead of me in a '62 Lark ragtop![:X] I was in Pete and between her lead foot and the congested freeway lanes, I never COULD catch up with her to acknowledge each other's Studebaker. This was north of Los Angeles maybe a dozen years ago.
    At one point, Pete's speedo needle was flirting with 90, but the Lark wasn't about to be caught![}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I recall my friend Dan Webber's story about trying to help a attractive young lady that was off the side of the rode in a Studebaker that ceased to run. She would not even roll down the window to talk to him since it was late at night. Finally, he dug out his SDC membership card and pressed it against the glass and he was able to help her.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Keith:

That was our very own Cascade Chapter president Jim Downing in that "A LARK".

Dean Croft
        Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
        Dean

CLEM

Comment

I remember about ten years ago, I had Ronette, my 1966 Rambler Classic 770 convertible. I was coming from work late at night and I saw a 1966 Marlin on the side with a flat. I pulled my car behind his and helped him. At that time, a 1966 Mustang stopped to help. At this time, a cop pulled up, took a photo and said that no one would believe him.

Comment

About 4 years ago when my dad and I were pulling a 49 3/4 ton pick up home we passed a guy going the other way hauling another early (49-54) C-Cab.

Nick

Comment

On my way to the May Ozark Trails meeting I met a 1958 Packard Hawk going the opposite way. The Hawk was a resent restoration by one of our members.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

In '97, when I drove Pete from California to South Bend - on to SE Michigan and then back to California, I thought sure I'd spot some Studes at least when headed TO the national meet. In fact, it was only fairly close to the meet that I finally spotted a 51 heading that way.
                Coming BACK from the meet ( a week later) I met a diesel Stude truck going the opposite way west of Reno. I think they were as surprized as I was.[:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can't wait for that to happen some day around here. Tuesday night I turned left at a light and a beautiful white, stock '53-'55 Corvette was waiting to turn the other way and the guy and his wife yelled loudly and waved. I couldn't believe it. I'm not a later Corvette fan, but I love those very early ones and was humbled. It's so rare so see a Stude around here on the road that I guess they were shocked and old enough to know what it was.

Comment

Just today I was downtown in my 64 Daytona sitting at a left turn light when, all of a sudden, careening around the corner and coming towards me was a 1956 Golden Hawk (blue and white).

I soon realized it was a local SDC member whom we rarely see. It was still a treat seeing that Hawk on the street. It's a rare sight these days.

Comment

I can't say that I've ever seen another Stude on the road. The closest would have to be on the way to South Bend. We saw 3, even got passed by a bright yellow Champ truck, about 30-50 miles from SB.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

After I drove my 63 Avanti home to NW Ohio from NC, the first long trip I undertook was to Quebec. As I crossed northern Ohio eastbound, we met a car carrier loaded with new Avantis from Youngstown going west. It don't get no better'n that right there.

Comment

Working...
                        X