Dana 27 in a V8 car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 27 in a V8 car?

Working on my 62 Daytona. Came to me with no engine/trans. Slid under the back with a scraper to see what rear it had.

I scraped off the thick grease and found the tag under a bolt- says 3.31; perfect! But then I started scraping on the webs looking for the "44"- but on the right side I found "27"![}] Being slightly annoyed, I didn't bother pulling the plug to check if it was a TT; and if it's a 27 I assume it's not[xx(]

Could this car have come with a 27? I haven't yet gotten the PO, but it did have dual exhaust, and it was a factory floor shift.

Anyone heard of a V8 4spd. car with a 27?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

I believe most (all?) '62 259 cars came with the 27. I have seen plenty of 3 speed and automatic '62 259's with a 27...never a 4 speed however (but I don't think I have ever seen a 259 4 speed car). Do you know if yours was a 289 or a 259? Also, if it was originally a 44, it could have been replaced in the past with the 27.

There were probably as many or more 27 (and 23) rear ends with TT. Studebaker sold that option mainly as an "all weather" thing rather than a performance thing.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I once had a 259/3-OD '61 Lark 2-door sedan with a factory Dana 27 twin traction. I ended up putting a 3.73 TT 44 I traded an R1 air cleaner to Bill Oliver for. This was about 15-20 years ago. I think MOST 259 Larks in this time period came with 27s.

Comment

My 62 Lark Daytona has a 259 & a Dana 27 rear, 3:73 gears all original per the build sheet.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks. Being an original 4spd. car I assumed it would have a 44... but I forgot it's Studebaker we're dealing with[|)]

No matter; being a ground-up build I'll correct that with a 44TT withflanged axles anyway. Just hoped it was already, especialy since I saw the 3.31 gear, which is just what I wanted.....

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

A 289 4 speed will leave a 27 rear end laying on the ground. Ask me how I know! And that was not even drag racing the thing. It was in a Hawk, maybe the weight made a difference, don't know.

Comment

Parts get swapped all the time. My '64 has a 44 with a set of 3.07's instead of the 3.31 it was supposed to have. So like yourself, I'm also going to be in need of a TT gearset.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hey Bob That 4spd Daytona I sold you had a 44 in it didn't it? It was a 4:55 though. I think If you want to have some real fun, put that bad boy in it! [}]

John
                John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

A 289 4 speed will leave a 27 rear end laying on the ground. Ask me how I know! And that was not even drag racing the thing. It was in a Hawk, maybe the weight made a difference, don't know.
                  Just part of the Studebaker "charm"[xx(]... goes with the cracking stock wheels, bellhousing needing dial-in, pre-62 steering box, front cross member cracking, rear of front fender rot, etc. etc. More reasons why Studebaker faded out[|)]

Lucky for me, there's a great support system for them today, so we can address these myriad weaknesses and make them better cars

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Thanks. Being an original 4spd. car I assumed it would have a 44... but I forgot it's Studebaker we're dealing with[|)]

No matter; being a ground-up build I'll correct that with a 44TT withflanged axles anyway. Just hoped it was already, especially since I saw the 3.31 gear, which is just what I wanted.....

I hope you live in the flatlands... I have a 3.31 44 TT behind our 4-speed Hawk and absolutely HATE it. It couldn't be more of a dog off the line (the engine is '62 289 Full-Flow, R2+ cam, R3 valves, 8.75 CR with the thin gaskets)... and I saw NO increase whatsoever in gas-mileage (which is why I switched from the original 3.73). Other than ~600 lower revs at cruising-speeds (70+)... I see no advantage at all.
                    Done over again... I'm looking for a 3.54... or swapping the 3.73 back in when the time comes.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I had a 62 Daytona W/4spd here for a time. It had a fresh, hot 259 and a 3.31 TT rear - like Ray says, it was a DOG to get going. I was glad it wasn't mine and happy when it was gone.[xx(]

BTW, in most instances, 259s got paired with 27 rears. Almost all 289s and HD applications got a 44 (wagon's too, I think - I'd have to look at the parts book again)

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm building mine with a 5-speed; so I'm thinking I can do just fine with 3.31s. But it may be a little trial and error to get it where I like.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I'm building mine with a 5-speed; so I'm thinking I can do just fine with 3.31s. But it may be a little trial and error to get it where I like.

As you know, most T5's/Tremecs have a VERY deep low gear... 3.35 or lower. There are up to about 2.87's available (special build) which would be real nice. 3.35 even with a 3.31 rear end would be not much fun. Low gear would be over in about 20' [:0] (somewhat exaggerated).

Watch it on the other end also. 5th gear ratios vary from about .65 to .72. It will be hard to pull even 3.31's in 5th with a .65 OD (effective rear end ratio of 2.15).

I LOVED the 289 4 speed combo in my '63 Hawk with a 3.31 rear end. It was the WIDE ratio 4 speed (2.52 low). Left the line easily and quickly. Nicely spread ratios. I would not have been as nice with the close ratio (2.20) box.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I know a TKO like Tom's has a .64 5th gear- don't recall what 1st is. I planned on asking here for recommendations here when the time got closer. I met a guy locally whose company specializes in 5 and 6 speeds, and said he'd be glad to customize one for my application; just don't yet know what I need yet.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have a 62 Daytona with 259, 4 speed, dual exhausts (per the build sheet) and it has a 27. I can't see anything on the build sheet referencing the rear end and it wasn't apparent that it had ever been replaced. Kind of hard to tell thou after 4o plus years.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X