A 1966 Show Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1966 Show Car

I have in my possession the billing forms for cars sold through C-D Motors, Inc., the Studebaker dealer in Trenton, NJ, from late 1963 through early 1966. I picked up this mass of paperwork at York this past March. I have not had time to go through the seven folders of paperwork. I picked up one of the folders last night while cleaning my room, thumbed through the papers and discovered an unusual 1966 Studebaker.

This billing document is on letterhead from the STUDEBAKER AUTOMOTIVE SALES CORPORATION, South Bend, Indiana. It is dated 09-02-65, to the dealer in the Philadelphia Zone. Invoice #50570. The vehicle was shipped to Bridgeboro, NJ and was paid for by the Princeston Bank & Trust Co.

The vehicle-
    Serial number C-130199 (starting serial number was C-130001)
    Model SF8 Daytona 2Dr Sedan..................1,881.00
    485 Artic White
    013 Black Vynl Recln Seat
    019 Automatic Trans.........................155.34
    Model 27 Axle 3.31
    031 5 735X15 2 ply W/W......................23.18
    024 Engine 230..............................27.02
    142 Black Vinyl Roof
    045 Vanity Tray.............................5.48
    057 Tinted Windshield.......................15.44
    060 Climatizer..............................65.00
    062 Electric Clock..........................13.50
    066 Push Button Radio.......................49.36
    070 Undercoating............................11.40
    079 Wheel discs.............................16.21
    081 Seat Belts Black-FRT....................10.50
    082 Seat Belts Black-REAR...................10.50
    087 Outside Mirror Left.....................3.38
    Padded Sun Visors.......................6.95
    Front Bumper Guards.....................7.60
    Rear Bumper Guards......................7.60
    1 Qt Arctic White Paint.................1.75
    Antifreeze
    Broadcast Advt..........................20.00
    Co-op Advertising.......................10.00
    Sales Promotion.........................7.50
    Distribution and Delivery...............83.50
    Tag Philadelphia Show
    Tag Dallas Show
    TOTAL OF INVOICE........................2,432.21

Obviously, this beauty was prepared by the factory as an introductory
    show car for 1966, ie. the quart of paint and tag lines. I see no proof this car was on the floor at the Philadelphia Car Show. I have to assume it was, but apparently it did not make it to the Dallas Show as there is a notation dated 09-18-65 that the car was sold to Ellis Cooper. No other information is available. An interesting car sold from the Philadelphia Show floor. I wonder if it still exists?
    I just wanted to share this little tidbit with you. Peace, Frank

PS- The figures problably will not line up as I typed them, but its understandable.

Very interesting indeed, Frank. Gotta love stuff like that. The car sounds a lot like my granddad's '65 Daytona Sports Sedan. Only it had/has a V8 with a Dana 44 3.31 TT rear end. It's also white with black bucket seat interior and a black vinyl roof. And as far as we know, it was one of two '65 Daytonas sold new by Mr. Burke in Savannah, GA. [8D]

Comment

Thanks Frank! It's so neat to make little discoveries like that! Wonder if that thing survives somewhere?[?]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Craig and Sue Piper of Blairsville, PA, owners of Westmoreland Restorations and super folks to boot, have owned a car fitting that description to a "T", for years and years. In fact, Sue's late father, Marlin Dudeck, bought the car in the early '70's. Theirs has bucket seats, I'm almost certain. I believe those were standard on Daytonas in '66 and if the car had the (optional) bench seat, this would be noted on the production order (the fact that it isn't makes me think the car you mention, too, had bucket seats). Craig's car is a 230 six.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by studelark

I have in my possession the billing forms for cars sold through C-D Motors, Inc., the Studebaker dealer in Trenton, NJ, from late 1963 through early 1966. I picked up this mass of paperwork at York this past March. I have not had time to go through the seven folders of paperwork. I picked up one of the folders last night while cleaning my room, thumbed through the papers and discovered an unusual 1966 Studebaker.

This billing document is on letterhead from the STUDEBAKER AUTOMOTIVE SALES CORPORATION, South Bend, Indiana. It is dated 09-02-65, to the dealer in the Philadelphia Zone. Invoice #50570. The vehicle was shipped to Bridgeboro, NJ and was paid for by the Princeston Bank & Trust Co.

The vehicle-
        Serial number C-130199 (starting serial number was C-130001)
        Model SF8 Daytona 2Dr Sedan..................1,881.00
        485 Artic White
        013 Black Vynl Recln Seat
        019 Automatic Trans.........................155.34
        Model 27 Axle 3.31
        031 5 735X15 2 ply W/W......................23.18
        024 Engine 230..............................27.02
        142 Black Vinyl Roof
        045 Vanity Tray.............................5.48
        057 Tinted Windshield.......................15.44
        060 Climatizer..............................65.00
        062 Electric Clock..........................13.50
        066 Push Button Radio.......................49.36
        070 Undercoating............................11.40
        079 Wheel discs.............................16.21
        081 Seat Belts Black-FRT....................10.50
        082 Seat Belts Black-REAR...................10.50
        087 Outside Mirror Left.....................3.38
        Padded Sun Visors.......................6.95
        Front Bumper Guards.....................7.60
        Rear Bumper Guards......................7.60
        1 Qt Arctic White Paint.................1.75
        Antifreeze
        Broadcast Advt..........................20.00
        Co-op Advertising.......................10.00
        Sales Promotion.........................7.50
        Distribution and Delivery...............83.50
        Tag Philadelphia Show
        Tag Dallas Show
        TOTAL OF INVOICE........................2,432.21

Obviously, this beauty was prepared by the factory as an introductory
        show car for 1966, ie. the quart of paint and tag lines. I see no proof this car was on the floor at the Philadelphia Car Show. I have to assume it was, but apparently it did not make it to the Dallas Show as there is a notation dated 09-18-65 that the car was sold to Ellis Cooper. No other information is available. An interesting car sold from the Philadelphia Show floor. I wonder if it still exists?
        I just wanted to share this little tidbit with you. Peace, Frank

PS- The figures problably will not line up as I typed them, but its understandable.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Craig and Sue Piper of Blairsville, PA, owners of Westmoreland Restorations and super folks to boot, have owned a car fitting that description to a "T", for years and years. In fact, Sue's late father, Marlin Dudeck, bought the car in the early '70's. Theirs has bucket seats, I'm almost certain. I believe those were standard on Daytonas in '66 and if the car had the (optional) bench seat, this would be noted on the production order (the fact that it isn't makes me think the car you mention, too, had bucket seats). Craig's car is a 230 six.
          Here's ANOTHER one that fits that description to a "T"![:0] I can almost guarantee it is not the showcar as it was always in Edmonton (photo is from May, 1978) as far as I know, but it is exactly the same, otherwise, 230 Auto, all the same options, etc.

Craig

Comment

Bucket front seats were an option on 1966 Daytona Sport Sedans.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Pressler

In fact, Sue's late father, Marlin Dudeck, bought the car in the early '70's. Theirs has bucket seats, I'm almost certain. I believe those were standard on Daytonas in '66 and if the car had the (optional) bench seat, this would be noted on the production order (the fact that it isn't makes me think the car you mention, too, had bucket seats).

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH

#####################################################################

Bill, as you will note, the billing document states under the car's exterior color-

[u]013 BLACK VYNL RECLIN SEAT</u>

This is Studebaker shorthand indicating this car was built at the factory with a standard Black Vinyl Reclining (Bench) Seat. I believe others have pointed out bucket seats were a factory option at extra cost in 1966. This was not true of 1965 Daytona 2 dr (Sports Sedan) when bucket seats were standard.

With this said, both the Edmonton, Canada and the Dedeck cars were not this particular car (unfortunately). It would be great if someone verified this car still exists. Thanks for sharing folks.

Frank Drumheller
              '60 Lark Regal VI four door sedan
              '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Couldn't bucket seats also have the optional reclining feature?

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

[quote]quote:Originally posted by studelark

Originally posted by Bill Pressler

In fact, Sue's late father, Marlin Dudeck, bought the car in the early '70's. Theirs has bucket seats, I'm almost certain. I believe those were standard on Daytonas in '66 and if the car had the (optional) bench seat, this would be noted on the production order (the fact that it isn't makes me think the car you mention, too, had bucket seats).

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH

#####################################################################

Bill, as you will note, the billing document states under the car's exterior color-

[u]013 BLACK VYNL RECLIN SEAT</u>

This is Studebaker shorthand indicating this car was built at the factory with a standard Black Vinyl Reclining (Bench) Seat. I believe others have pointed out bucket seats were a factory option at extra cost in 1966. This was not true of 1965 Daytona 2 dr (Sports Sedan) when bucket seats were standard.

With this said, both the Edmonton, Canada and the Dedeck cars were not this particular car (unfortunately). It would be great if someone verified this car still exists. Thanks for sharing folks.

Frank Drumheller
                '60 Lark Regal VI four door sedan

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Couldn't bucket seats also have the optional reclining feature?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bill; The '66 literature I have does not mention bucket seats with the reclining feature. Bucket seats are stated as optional equipment on the Sports Sedan, but doesn't state what was standard (showroom catalog). I assume individual, recliners. I'll have to let someone else answer your question for '66.

Studebaker Form 65-01 [u]STUDEBAKER ORDER GUIDE </u> lists four (4) different styles of front seats and may have carried over to 1966. Since I don't have a similiar form for 1966, I can't be absolutely sure. Listed are:

1. Bench Seat-split back, non-recliner, standard on 2 door cars
                  2. Bench Seat-solid back, non-recliner, standard on 4 door cars
                  3. Bucket Seat-non-reclining, standard on Sports Sedan, no option
                  4. Individual, reclining, optional on Sports Sedan and Cruiser

OK guys, if there is other information or clarification available on this topic, please post it. Thanks for your interest, Bill.

Frank Drumheller
                  '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan

Comment

Working...
                  X