• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for $.25 gasoline!

Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners,
    Michigan.
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]

that's like 1/2 hour from me! are the Stude's their display or was a club visiting?

--george
    Battle Creek

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

As a kid I mowed yards and bought many a gallon at 30 some cents per. That would have been 1967 thru 1971, when I got a 40 hr a week job at $1.00 per hour. This was a summer job, as I was in High School by then. Anti freeze was so cheap that we never saved it when having to drain the radiator to replace a water pump, etc. We just let it drain out onto the ground. Wouldn't get by with that nowadays. As an adult I was back in the old hometown having lunch at the big table in the local cafe where everybody that wanted to talk would congregate. I f you didn't want to talk, you would sit at a smaller table. Anyway, we were talking about how times had changed and one of the station ownwers that I had bought gas off of when I was a kid said that he could remember when you could fill up a Model A for a dollar, but he said, "You worked all day for that dollar!"

Comment

That station and those pumps date from long before gasoline was $0.25.

The price of gasoline doesn't bother me much. I have been paying more than $4. for awhile. It is the fact that oil price increases are driving everything else up. It doesn't seem like long ago fuel oil was $0.149. Next Winter it will be $4.999 ($5K to heat my home). Some people are raising other prices using fuel as an excuse. It cost me 60% more for a Spring clean up on my lawn. The gasoline used should have increased the price maybe 5%.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I too remember gas prices in early 70's. I worked at a station of cut rate prices and we often sold for 19.9. At same time my boss was running a B/ Gas hemi Henry J and would buy hemi cars for spare motors for less than $2000, I remember 1 70 Cuda hemi bought for $2000. I think we will never see those prices again, but who knows , I think a recession is headed our way.

Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
          X