This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 v8 pulley for the crank

I have two questions, after further review of my1954 232 v8 engine I have discovered two things. First I need a new pulley that attaches to the crank, so any help in locating one would be appreciated, and I also discovered after looking at the pulley that the main bolt that attaches to the crank appears to have an offest head on it. It almost looks as if it is about to ring off, but based on the size of it, and the size of me I doubt very much that I have twisted the bolt head. Is it normal for the bolt head to be offset as it is? or should I look for a new one. As usual thanks for your help.
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

NOT normal for that head to be offset. In fact, I find that downright just about impossible to believe. How are you guaging this to be the case? Are you look at the bolt with it OUT of the crank?
    What's wrong with your pulley? What's it's width? I may have one lying around in the shop.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

NOT normal for that head to be offset. In fact, I find that downright just about impossible to believe. How are you guaging this to be the case? Are you look at the bolt with it OUT of the crank?
      What's wrong with your pulley? What's it's width? I may have one lying around in the shop.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A number of questions from me. Would like some pic. of what you are talking about. Never seen a offset bolt head except in drawings to be funny. and there are 10 parts to a stude crank damper. one is the fan belt pulley hub, second the 6 bolts that hold the damper to the hub, third is a rubber cushion, forth is the vibration damper flywheel, fifth is another rubber cushion, sixth is the lock plate, seventh is the pully, eighth is the cap screw lock plate, ninth is a large flat washer and last is the Cap screw. If any of these pieces is missing or age rotted or damaged in any way you are going to have problems.

Comment

A number of questions from me. Would like some pic. of what you are talking about. Never seen a offset bolt head except in drawings to be funny. and there are 10 parts to a stude crank damper. one is the fan belt pulley hub, second the 6 bolts that hold the damper to the hub, third is a rubber cushion, forth is the vibration damper flywheel, fifth is another rubber cushion, sixth is the lock plate, seventh is the pully, eighth is the cap screw lock plate, ninth is a large flat washer and last is the Cap screw. If any of these pieces is missing or age rotted or damaged in any way you are going to have problems.

Comment

The car has been sitting in a barn since 1968 and the pulley has a rusted spot where the belt travels that is very thin and I am afraid that it will eat the belts faster than I can put them on and leave me on the side of the road somewhere. The bolt is mind boggling to me. I will try to snap a photo of it and post it so that you can see it. Thanks for the reply.
            York, SC 29745

Comment

The car has been sitting in a barn since 1968 and the pulley has a rusted spot where the belt travels that is very thin and I am afraid that it will eat the belts faster than I can put them on and leave me on the side of the road somewhere. The bolt is mind boggling to me. I will try to snap a photo of it and post it so that you can see it. Thanks for the reply.
              York, SC 29745

Comment

Everything is in good order except the big cap bolt and the pulley. I will try to post a photo in the next day or so. Thanks
                York, SC 29745

Comment

Everything is in good order except the big cap bolt and the pulley. I will try to post a photo in the next day or so. Thanks
                  York, SC 29745

Comment

Good, I have all kinds of pullys for 53's but the bolt might be a problem there were a number of different lengths and they have an odd ball thread. Used to take the old bolts and cut them to weld on to one end of the Chevy instalation tools for people, then found out they are hard to come by.

Comment

Good, I have all kinds of pullys for 53's but the bolt might be a problem there were a number of different lengths and they have an odd ball thread. Used to take the old bolts and cut them to weld on to one end of the Chevy instalation tools for people, then found out they are hard to come by.

Comment

There is a lock plate under the bolt head that is bent up against one of the flats of the bolt. Maybe that's why it appears to be off-set.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
                        Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

There is a lock plate under the bolt head that is bent up against one of the flats of the bolt. Maybe that's why it appears to be off-set.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
                          Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have updated this photo album with photos of the pulley and bolt, any help will be great. Sorry for the one blurry photo of the pulley but I am not photograhper. http://community.webshots.com/album/555115703aWvPut
                            York, SC 29745

Comment

I have updated this photo album with photos of the pulley and bolt, any help will be great. Sorry for the one blurry photo of the pulley but I am not photograhper. http://community.webshots.com/album/555115703aWvPut
                              York, SC 29745

Comment

Working...
                              X