Chevy manual trans swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy manual trans swap.

I know this has probably been covered somewhere but after reading through 4 pages of old posts when I did a search I didn't find it. Has anyone swapped a Chevy manual trans into an early C/K with a Stude V-8 using the 3 speed bellhousing and clutch linkage? I have fabrication "skills".... My T-86/OD is working OK but I'd like an extra gear and a synchronized 1st gear and my knee hits the shift lever in 1st and 3rd, that's starting to get annoying.

I am trying to locate a late 60's Chevy Saginaw 3 Spd. OD unit to swap onto a Saginaw 4 speed. It was an electric unit made by B-W and works just like the factory Stude OD. They are pretty scarce now but it would give me the exact gear ratios I wanted, a fully synchronized trans and I'd get to have a floor shift. [8D] For those that will try to convince me not to use the "weak" Saginaw I had Saginaws behind more powerful V-8's and with wider tires than my Stude will ever see and never broke one. A Saginaw will be fine, besides I'm old now.

Analog man in a digital world.

If You use a 1961 4-speed bell housing.....Chev trans will "bolt up" Then You will need a special (longer)pilot brg and use a chev disc to match splines on trans..I think there is a chev throwout brg that will work ....Don't remember what I used(too many years ago)

BTW ....that Saginaw o/d set up (if You can find one)(only used a couple of years)works really good !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

This has been covered before but here goes again. The Saginaw 4 speed bolts up to the 61 bell housing. What I found is using an extra master cylinder bolted next to your old brake master(longer bolts, through both) and a $125 hydraulic throw out bearing is the easiest way through the clutch linkage problem. The big hassle of the 3 OD is people pirated the OD to put behind the 4 speeds(they bolt right up). If you need parts check with AA gear in L.A. (888)748-2194 ask for George.

Comment

Thanks blackhawk61. Yeah they were available from '66 thrugh '69, getting pretty scarce now and a little pricey but makes a real sweet unit from what I've read so far.

Comment

Yeah .....I had that set up in a 55 Chevy.... Built 283 and 4.11 gears (several years ago )As long as You dont "jerk it around" holds up pretty good.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC
          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

This has been covered before but here goes again.
            I figured it had but after 4 pages of posts the search came up with I was getting nowhere.

quote:Originally posted by AlanThe big hassle of the 3 OD is people pirated the OD to put behind the 4 speeds(they bolt right up).
            That's what I plan to do. If I can't find one I may do the Jeep T-90 trans top shifter conversion on my T-86. The more I drive the car the more I think I want to keep any external "performance" mods traditional and period correct. There's a little 6 mile stretch of narrow concrete highway with weeds growing out of the cracks near me that is just the way it was 50 years ago, I travelled it a lot with my folks back in the late 50's and 60's. Driving my Stude on it was like a trip back in time. It was an incredible feeling! [8D][8D][8D] I think a modern automatic or 5 speed would detract from that experience.

Comment

Working...
            X