Body Panel Presses Used By Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Panel Presses Used By Studebaker

My understanding is that the presses in South Bend Studebaker used to press body panels were used by a differant company to press body panels for Ford Automobiles until the mid 1970s. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, many of us have known this for years, but I can't say it was those years: 70-75, it could have been late 60's early 70's. I am not sure I remember the Co. correctly, but Allied Stamping comes to mind.

This is the first time I've heard it might have been Ford parts, I heard Camaro/Firebird, GM.

Remember it was the AM General Div. of GM that bought the Studebaker Military Truck contract and I believe also Postal Delivery vans and built them in the Studebaker Chippewa Truck Plant.

Some of you South Bend residents, or people with more info on this will have to help us out here!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

<snip> Remember it was the AM General Div. of GM that bought the Studebaker Military Truck contract and I believe also Postal Delivery vans and built them in the Studebaker Chippewa Truck Plant. Some of you South Bend residents, or people with more info on this will have to help us out here!
      Read about it here: http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate_history.php

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
        [
        This is the first time I've heard it might have been Ford parts, I heard Camaro/Firebird, GM.
        If you go back in your TW's there was a photo essay by BP informing us what the various buildings were currently used for at that time.
        Included was a pic he took of a Mustang rear quarter panel that was stamped under contract at Allied Stamping. In 2002, on our self-guided tour of the old assembly plant, there were LOTS of thin, molded plastic shipping liners for Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz panels strewn about the place.

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X