'65 Merger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Merger?

I'm the first to admit that I don't know what it is that I don't know. And I don't know what I don't know about this.

Re: THE SURVIVOR RESPONDS in this month's TW by Stu Chapman, and some old post comments on this forum, what is "the merger of early '65"? Is this something that everyone (but me) knows about, so it is second-hand commentary? Something no one wants to bring up in decent company? Who the heck was the merger to be with? My biggest question is the WHO? (No, not the great band).

Very intriguing article as a follow-up to the earlier letters and commentary, including that which appeared on this forum. I was raised as a member of a Studebaker family, and accepted them as a part of life, unquestioned. Never knew about the corporate/administrative side of the business. Now it's amazing to learn about this side.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

I believe they are referring to the talks Studebaker had with either Toyota or Nissan. They were in talks with one & the law offices that Studebaker was using at the time was headed by Richard Nixon. He suggested that the talks be suspended with the first one & go & speak with the other. When those talks broke down, Studebaker went back to the first (I'm not positive but i think it was Toyota) company to reistablish talks & were turned away because they were left for the other party (Nissan??) Sorry I couldn't be clearer, but thats the jist of what i understand.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock
      Re: THE SURVIVOR RESPONDS in this month's TW by Stu Chapman, and some old post comments on this forum, what is "the merger of early '65"? Is this something that everyone (but me) knows about, so it is second-hand commentary? Something no one wants to bring up in decent company? Who the heck was the merger to be with? My biggest question is the WHO? (No, not the great band).

From Golden Phoenix, The Biography of Peter Munk by Richard Rohmer, published in 1997. Please excuse the poor scans.

Craig

Comment

Wow! Now that is informative, that Studebaker's survival had really came that close. Of course being a Studebaker nut, I can't help but wonder what became of those "Japanese ... produced first six models in the new Studebaker line" do even any pictures of them still survive? if at all, likely only in Japan, and I'd expect that they would prove to be essentially "rebadged" Japanese models.
        Can't say that I blame Peter Munk for getting cold feet, with that dose of the reality of what being "successful" in this endeavor would entail, (and had he went forward, these burdens and obligations would likely have increased exponentially...thanks, but No Thanks.)

Comment

8E45E, Thanks for that info. Some of the most interesting stuff I've ever read about Studebaker. Very specific and to the point. Even might clear up some curiousity I've always had about our Studebaker dealer in Denver going the Toyota route after Studebaker shut down. Thanks, again.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

You can pick up your own copy of Golden Phoenix, The Biography of Peter Munk by Richard Rohmer,right now on Amazon for only $499.87! Yowza!

55 Commander
            58 Transtar
            62 GT Hawk
            66 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

You can pick up your own copy of Golden Phoenix, The Biography of Peter Munk by Richard Rohmer,right now on Amazon for only $499.87! Yowza!
              That is beyond belief!![:0] I actually had to go Google it myself just to see what the going prices are![:0][:0] Will the prices double now that we know it has Studebaker
              content in it??[B)]

Craig

Comment

Come on Craig, tell us that you paid $25.00 Canadian for the book! [:0]

WOW! that would have been one bold and maybe profitable move for Toyota to have 1100 instant Dealers world wide! But I can just see how it would go, trying to sell Studebaker Dealers a JAPANESE CAR! They would be very lucky to get 50% of them signed up!

That means now that we know all the details, it would not be a merger, but a complete buyout! Gee, maybe us Stude. owners or at least employees would have gotten a employee discount on new Toyota's, LOL!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Come on Craig, tell us that you paid $25.00 Canadian for the book! [:0]

WOW! that would have been one bold and maybe profitable move for Toyota to have 1100 instant Dealers world wide! But I can just see how it would go, trying to sell Studebaker Dealers a JAPANESE CAR! They would be very lucky to get 50% of them signed up!

No Rich, I paid $32.95 for it, IIRC. (I'd have to look inside the cover to see EXACTLY what I paid for it).

I can tell you there were several former Stude dealers that took on a Japanese car line after Studebaker stopped selling cars. Our local dealer here took on Datsun, as did the one in Lethbridge, 135 miles south of here.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                    But I can just see how it would go, trying to sell Studebaker Dealers a JAPANESE CAR! They would be very lucky to get 50% of them signed up!
                    I wonder how many Dodge dealers defected 5 years later when they got notified that they had to sell the Japanese-made Colt!!

Then again, in 1971, you had to pity those poor Dodge dealers, having to sell cars that were made in four different countries.[:0]
                    Besides, your standard North American offerings, some were forced to take on the former Rootes Group line from England, Simca from France, and the Mitsubishi made Colt from Japan!

Craig

Comment

Hmmm... a little grille work, etc. i can see it passed off as a Studebaker. not sure about the diesel engine though.

interesting info!
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E
                        ....some were forced to take on the former Rootes Group line from England.
                        With the weird result of Chrysler Corp. having to sell, warranty, and service the 260 FORD 'Fairlane' V-8 used in the Sunbeam Tiger.
                        Mopar's own 273 being too wide to fit. Strange bed partners.
                        Last edited by Jessie J.; 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I don't think the $30 million quarterly loss figure is correct for this period. Sounds more like an annual figure.

Still, this is a very interesting bit of recently 'discovered' history that I would like to learn more about.

Prototype photos????

Chris.

Comment

That Izuzu Bellel has a strange resemblance to the Italia Frua Larks!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Kind of looks like a Peugeot.

I found this pic of an Isuzu of the period that would probably adapt to the North American market better than some of the later 'captive imports'. I can kind of imagine it with Studebaker badges.

Chris.Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 Isuzu Bellett 1500 LHD2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1684241

Comment

Working...
                              X