Patrick Foster's new Studebaker book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Foster's new Studebaker book

Apologies if this topic has been the subject of a thread elsewhere. I see Pat Foster's book has hit eBay so it is available. Has anyone purchased and read it yet and if so, what did you think of it?

Studedude1961
    John Waddell

I would like to purchase a copy John, would I just go to Barnes @ Nobles or? Or could I just wait till you got done with your copy and borrow it.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank I am waiting for the reviews to come in before shelling out the big bucks. I think Patrick Foster is selling his book on eBay because they are advertised as being signed by the author, with personalizing also possible, such as, "Dear Frank...thanks for buying my book. Pass it on to John when you are finished reading it!"

Studedude1961
      John Waddell

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the book for $26.40 from amazon.com (free shipping) because I am a CASO. It says the book has not been released as of yet. It will ship June 19th. So John I will let you read it when I'm done Stay tuned for yours truly's review.[^]Regretfully it will not be autographed however.
        quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Frank I am waiting for the reviews to come in before shelling out the big bucks. I think Patrick Foster is selling his book on eBay because they are advertised as being signed by the author, with personalizing also possible, such as, "Dear Frank...thanks for buying my book. Pass it on to John when you are finished reading it!"

Studedude1961
        John Waddell
        Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

There is a review in the latest issue of the AVANTI MAGAZINE and I will post tomorrow. Also you can purchase the book through the Avanti (AOAI) website. The site is: www.aoai.org. Yes we accpect CC through the secure site. it is a well written book worthy of space on any Studebaker ethuisiasts website. If you want to meet Pat Foster in person and discuss Studebakers with him come to Lancaster as he is the special guest of the KRC and will be signing autographs and doing a few other things with us. This is just one of the special events that KRC has in sotre for the meet. Won't you join us?

See you in the future as I write about our past
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Yes we are coming to Lancaster Don. I'll just bring my book and ask him to autograph it for me. It sounds like you guys have a fun time in store for all of us.

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

There is a review in the latest issue of the AVANTI MAGAZINE and I will post tomorrow. Also you can purchase the book through the Avanti (AOAI) website. The site is: www.aoai.org. Yes we accpect CC through the secure site. it is a well written book worthy of space on any Studebaker ethuisiasts website. If you want to meet Pat Foster in person and discuss Studebakers with him come to Lancaster as he is the special guest of the KRC and will be signing autographs and doing a few other things with us. This is just one of the special events that KRC has in sotre for the meet. Won't you join us?

See you in the future as I write about our past
            Frank van Doorn
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Conv
            1941 Champion R-2 Rod
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Frank we are trying to make this event the best ever International Meet held. Currently on track to have the largest Concour field ever with cars that have either never been to an SDC Meet or have not been to one in a very long time like 28 years and Gettysburg. Registered vehicle count will exceed 100 this week with just 16 weeks to go. Our potential displav in the Lobby of the AACA Museum will be a knock out telling the whole Studebaker story from wagons to motorized vehicles. Glad to know you are coming. Please make sure to introduce yourself to John Clement who will be in the Lobby greeting new arrivals daily.

Comment

Don, we will not be bringing a car to show this time but are bringing a trailer load of parts to sell however. I will make sure I introduce myself to John Clement

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Frank we are trying to make this event the best ever International Meet held. Currently on track to have the largest Concour field ever with cars that have either never been to an SDC Meet or have not been to one in a very long time like 28 years and Gettysburg. Registered vehicle count will exceed 100 this week with just 16 weeks to go. Our potential displav in the Lobby of the AACA Museum will be a knock out telling the whole Studebaker story from wagons to motorized vehicles. Glad to know you are coming. Please make sure to introduce yourself to John Clement who will be in the Lobby greeting new arrivals daily.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I promised on Sunday to post the recent review of Pat Foster's book that appeared in issue #142 of the AVANTI MAGAZINE. here it is along with an order form for those who are interested. If you want to order you can do so at [u]www.aoai.org</u>

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Hope you can read it[8)]

Comment

Can't read it, does it say the book is good???

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John, you will be able to read it first hand in another week or so as you Avanti Magazine is in the mail as of approximately 05/23. The answer to your question is YES

Comment

I finished reading the Foster book last night. (My wife is our chapter newsletter editor and we received an advance copy.) The book is a good read and contains a lot of interesting, but not necessarily, totally new information. Rather than concentrate on the technical aspects of the cars, which most of us already know from other publications and from owning them, he focuses on the business aspects of the Studebaker Corporation and Studebaker-Packard. For example, he questions Erskine's decision to declare high rates of dividends in the 20's and early 30's, goes through the whys and wherefors of the reopganization in 1933, etc. One part that did contain new information for me at least, was his discussion of Jim Nance and all the merger mechanations that went on with Packard and Curtiss-Wright in the 50's. He also goes into Studebakers high labor cost and low productivity. I believe much of his information came from annual reports. I'm sure some of his opinions and conclusions will be debated here as more read the book, so I won't go into that here. But overall, it's a great read and worth getting.

Incidentally, I noticed that some are ordering the book on line. If your chapter orders 10 or more books, there's a 46% discount, making the cost $21.60 plus shipping. Your newsletter editor should have the info on this....

Frank Philippi
                        Delmarva Peninsula Chapter

Comment

As I have said before, Pat is going to attend the International Meet in Lancaster as the personal guest of the KRC and myself. He will be available to sign your books or you can even purchase them from him. If you have questions I know he is more than willing to answer them for you. If there is enough interest, I may be able to arrange a Pat Foster seminar but you've got to let me know the interest level in doing that.

Comment

Working...
                          X