PDA

View Full Version : Chevybaker V8 exhaust manifolds

moneypit55
10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Does anyone know if the exhaust manifolds from a Studebaker 65-66 283 V8 can be used in putting a Chevy small block into a 55 Coupe ? I'm concerned about clearance for the steering box. Thank you.

CHAMP
10-26-2006, 07:48 AM
I would go with the powder coated block hugger headers. Makes a real nice installation. BTW welcome to the forum! As far as the other exhaust manifolds you mentioned I'm not sure.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

klifton1
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
How good does powder coat hold up on exhaust manifolds? They get pretty hot.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

Mike Van Veghten
10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Yea...in the long run you would be better off having one of the actual header, ceramic coatings put on them.

Mike

CHAMP
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I may have not been clear when I said powder coat. I guess I should of said Jet hot coating. I may have been wrong in thinking all powder coating is High Temp. I have Jet-hot powder coat on my T-Bucket and it has held up good for the last six to seven years. A little metal polish every month or so and they stay show nice. I had chrome headers before and they would turn blue very quick.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Dick Steinkamp
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd have to say they probably won't work. Even the block huggers in my '54 required that I move the stock steering box down 1/2" and back 1/2". This was when I got the motor positioned where I wanted it to fit proprly in the stock radiator shroud and other "fitments" that were a high priority to me. You might be able to use the rams horns if you compromise in other areas (mount the engine more forward, mount it further to the passenger side, etc.) No 2 installations are the same.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

stude53
10-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey, Moneypit55,

When I put the Chevy 350 in my 53, I searched boneyards for months to come up with stock Chevy cast iron exhaust manifolds that would fit the block and still clear the Studebaker steering box and any other impediments on either side. I finally found a reardump manifold from a 265 cu/in V8 for the drivers side and a early ramshorn centerdump for the passenger side. I smoothed and ported the manifolds to match the exhaust ports of the block. I used an Edelbrock performer intake manofold and Holly carb, and a lowrise air cleaner on the topside. I am very satisfied with the results.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

imported_n/a
10-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I've used 265 manifolds on larger engines(307, 400) in my 55 Xhevy at one time, & they have considerably smaller ports on them, compared to the exhaust manifolds made for the larger engines. I believe that the 78-87 GM midsize(Monte Carlo, etc)used a manifold that was similar in the location of the outlets to those old 265 parts, but the ports were already larger to match up to the later heads on the 267 & 305 engines.

55Commander
11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
96 Tahoe.

I used them putting an engine in a 53 chevy, they dump back and down
like everyone wants.

I have them on my 55 Commander coupe, but it doesn't have stock
front suspension.