Studebakers in Jerome, AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers in Jerome, AZ

My neighbors just got back from a vacation in Arizona. They visited an abandoned mine that is operated as a heritage site and is open to the public.
    Perhaps this location has been discussed before but I don't recall.

They indicate it appears everything was left sitting where it was when the mine shut down.

Anything there for sale?

Here's a 1902 Electric:

And a link to the photos they brought back for me.

Don't know why the photo of the 1902 isn't showing up in my "Preview".
    Hope it works for you.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

The ghost town and mine is operated by SDC and Grand Canyon Chapter member Don Robertson. We visited there this winter and had a nice visit with Don. I did not get the impression from Don that any of the vehicles are for sale.We had lunch with Don and his significant other at the January Mesa AZ SDC chapter meet at which time he convinced us to come and visit.The collection includes some very rare Studebakers. I am told this site is being considered for a tour destination during the 2010 SDC National Meet.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

This red dot will work if you right click it and chose the "view pic" dropdown.

UPDATE: It seems to work fine now, it must be a timing thing maybe I didn't wait for it to fully load on the site.

In the linked photos there is a really nice Red '60 Champ Standard Cab pickup which of course has it's original P1 1949 looking bed, although by far the best bed ever made, it was really out of date in 1960. Though most do not agree, I think it was a wise choice in the middle of '61 to go to the modern looking P2 box!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"This red dot will work if you right click it and chose the "view pic" dropdown."

Yeah, I know. It never works for me. It did eleven years ago, when my computer was new and Win98 was the hot ticket.[)]
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I was in Jerome one May and it was SNOWING! [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Boy, I'd LOVE that bumper/grille guard with the lazy "S" for my M-16[][8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I spent time in Jerome on my honeymoon in 1994 and visited the old mine. I do not recall the diesel, but do remember a M-16 with a sticker for Ross Perot on the side of the cab. I do have a bunch of pictures, but they are all on film tucked away in a box somewhere. My wife was taken with the mule named "Jasper".

Jerome was basically a ghost town in the 1960's when the "hippies" invaded and brought it back to life as an arts community. A number of the buildings are sliding down the hill as a result of all the blasting in the past.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Wouldn't that 1902 electric be the oldest known Studebaker car? I don't think the museum in South Bend has any that old. Also, It's obvious that not everything in now exactly where it was when the mine shut down. The picture in the first post shows the car inside and the one from 1999 (follow the link) shows the car outside.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

In the linked photos there is a really nice Red '60 Champ Standard Cab pickup which of course has it's original P1 1949 looking bed, although by far the best bed ever made, it was really out of date in 1960. Though most do not agree, I think it was a wise choice in the middle of '61 to go to the modern looking P2 box!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  I agree with you Rich that the P2 bed is more modern looking and perhaps more practical from a work truck perspective, however, IMHO I think the P1 bed is a greater attention getter and better "looker" from a collecter standpoint.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

I wonder if they would bring that Electric to Lancaster/Hershey as it is the only thing I need to tell the total Studebaker story in the AACA Museum display this fall. Thanks Brad for posting the pictures JCS.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                    X