51 V8 correct water pump number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 V8 correct water pump number

In another recent thread (V8 overheating) I was asking for help with an overheating problem on my 51 Land Cruiser. I suspected the water pump was part of the problem because the pulley was about 1/4" forward of the crank pulley.

Yesterday, I decided to pull off the water pump to see if I could find why the pulley didn't line up with the crank pulley. I discovered that it was a rebuilt pump and the clearances were not correct according to information I have received from Bob Johnstone's website. The whole shaft including the pulley and the impeller was about 3/32" forward (toward fan) as has been a problem with some rebuilt pumps.

I don't have a hydraulic press so I thought I might try rapping the end of the shaft with a hammer to move it. I figured that if I broke something or damaged the seal I would have to buy a new water pump anyway. Well, somehow I managed to make the clearance situation worse so the impeller is now rubbing against the back of the shaft housing. I guess the impeller had more "body at rest" inertia than the shaft had "body in motion" inertia. So I need a new water pump for sure.

So now my question is this: which water pump should I order? My car was built in February 1951 and the engine number is V 27242 (51 V8 engine numbers started at V101). Is this what is referred to as an "early 51 V8"? I have seen some venders advertise water pumps for all models 51-64 V8 (part number 527070) and others also list early 51 V8 (part number 527242). The rebuilt pump that was on my car was part number 527070 so I know the pump for the later V8 actually fits into the water pump housing. Perhaps some of the misalignment of the pulleys might be due to a longer shaft on the leter engines?

thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

I just noticed a coincidence. My engine number is V 27242 and the part number for the 'early 51 V8' is 527242. Is there possibly a correlation between my particular engine and the change in water pump?

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

The pumps themselves are actually the same. It is the pressed-on pulley hub that makes the difference. Engines before serial V30007 are considered early. If you have the 1951-54 parts book, look on page 100 for illustrations of the proper assembly sequence of hub-spacer-pulley.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have a early 51 v8 and I changed over to the newer version because they are much easer to come by. The only difference in the two is that the later model has a different offset for the pulley. I just put a pulley from a 52 on and everything aligned up fine.

Comment

Dwain, thanks for the information about early and late 51 V8s. I don't have the 51-54 parts book, only the 51 repair manual. I believe it shows the assembly sequence as well.

Wayne, you said installed a pulley from a 52 V8 to align with the newer water pump pulley. I'm thinking it might be harder to find a later 232 pulley. Does it have to be a crank pulley from a 232 or would a pulley from a 224, 259 or 289 work just as well?

Aside from availability, is there an advantage to using the later pump? There must have been a reason for Studebaker to change the pump shaft after only a few months of production.

Any thoughts?

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

I have one off a 259 and will check it and let you know.

Comment

I found a puuley off of a 259 and it looks the same as a 52. If you are close to me you are welcome to it. I am in nothern Indiana

Comment

Wayne,

Thanks for checking and thanks for the offer, but I am in Victoria, BC, Canada, across the pond from Seattle, WA; not exactly near to northern Indiana. Strangely enough, the other day I was driving down the road singing the song about Gary, Indiana from "The Music Man". I was in that musical when I was in college about 1980 but haven't thought about that song in a loooong time.

Anyway, I think I will stick to the original pump and pulley. I can get the pump from a few vendors for about $10 more than the newer model pumps. My car is 99% original and very complete so I think I'll try to bring up to 100% as I go about addressing the various issues that arise.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada

Comment

An update:

Yesterday, my 'early 51 V8 water pump arrived. The flange for the fan pulley was noticeably different from the one that was on the vehicle so now the pulleys all line up beautifully. I put in the new pump, changed the bottom rad hose and started her up.

It would appear that the new pump is helping but the gauge still reads hot when I rev her up but it moves up a little more slowly than before. I will check the actual water temperature in the rad before I go much further with the real messy job of cleaning out the water jackets.

Thanks again for your help.

"Ahh, a bear is his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                  Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada