This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Newest" 1958 Golden Hawk?

Does anyone own or know of a 1958 Golden Hawk with a higher Serial Number than 6105325? [?]

6105325 is the factory overdrive white car with gold fins and roof owned by late SDCer Asa Hall from 1965 through 2005. My cousin George Krem, owner of The Plain Brown Wrapper, bought the car last week from a dealership in Plymouth CT. I just this afternoon returned from a 2,510-mile round-trip to acquire the car for George and deliver it to him at his new home in Robins IA, above Cedar Rapids.

It's not perfect but is a pleasant survivor, redone in the 60s. [:I] The original engine is in place and running well, and what appears to be the original supercharger also remains, hooked up and running smooth and quiet to boot! George is very pleased with it now that he has it home.

George's preliminary research indicates only 53 Golden Hawks were built after this one: This car was built May 26, 1958, and is 54th from the "forever production end" of one of Studebaker's most famous models of all time: The Golden Hawk.

George would like to know how many, if any, of those last 53 Golden Hawks are accounted for, and if any of them have factory overdrive. Nobody has culled the production records to see how many '58 Golden Hawks had overdrive, but George intends to do that as soon as he can get to South Bend. [] We're betting it's around 200-250, [:0] and are wondering if 6105325 is the "newest" surviving overdrive car.

Input solicited. Cheers and thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,

Your timing is impeccable! I finally loaded the pictures I took at Asa's sale to an album last week and I have 2 of the aforementioned Golden Hawk. I can only get the thumbnails to show, but here is the link to the album.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bob,

Your timing is impeccable! I finally loaded the pictures I took at Asa's sale to an album last week and I have 2 of the aforementioned Golden Hawk. I can only get the thumbnails to show, but here is the link to the album.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Thanks, Gary. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Gary. BP

Comment

[]

It's not perfect but is a pleasant survivor, redone in the 60s.

I first saw the pic of that car in Automobile Quarterly, Vol 10, #3. Brings to mind a good question. Most of the cars in there have the owner's names with the description of the car. Unfortunately we already know about Asa, but it would be most interesting to find out what has happened to those cars and the rest of the owners since that edition of AQ was published something like 35 years ago!!

Craig.

Comment

[]

It's not perfect but is a pleasant survivor, redone in the 60s.

I first saw the pic of that car in Automobile Quarterly, Vol 10, #3. Brings to mind a good question. Most of the cars in there have the owner's names with the description of the car. Unfortunately we already know about Asa, but it would be most interesting to find out what has happened to those cars and the rest of the owners since that edition of AQ was published something like 35 years ago!!

Craig.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig.
                Craig: Where is it[?] I just looked through AQ Vol 10 #3 (Studebaker's 115 Years, right?) and didn't see the car anywhere. Am I missing something? Thanks. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig.
                  Craig: Where is it[?] I just looked through AQ Vol 10 #3 (Studebaker's 115 Years, right?) and didn't see the car anywhere. Am I missing something? Thanks. BP

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Originally posted by 8E45E

I first saw the pic of that car in Automobile Quarterly, Vol 10, #3. Brings to mind a good question. Most of the cars in there have

Ha![] Sorry wrong issue of AQ! Let's try Vol 12, #3. (Third Quarter, 1974) on page 328! Article is "The Way We Were: Life and Times of the Studebaker Hawk" by Micheal Richards.

Memory must be going...I'm getting OLD, Bob! [B)]

Craig

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

I first saw the pic of that car in Automobile Quarterly, Vol 10, #3. Brings to mind a good question. Most of the cars in there have

Ha![] Sorry wrong issue of AQ! Let's try Vol 12, #3. (Third Quarter, 1974) on page 328! Article is "The Way We Were: Life and Times of the Studebaker Hawk" by Micheal Richards.

Craig

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Craig
                        Thanks, Craig. Unfortunately, I don't have that issue of AQ. I'll check it out at the library.

Don't worry about the memory loss...wait 'till your 60! [)] Bob

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Craig
                          Thanks, Craig. Unfortunately, I don't have that issue of AQ. I'll check it out at the library.

Don't worry about the memory loss...wait 'till your 60! [)] Bob

Comment

I asked Joe Parsons what the serial number of his 58 Golden Hawk is and he replied that it is 6104887 which is earlier than yours. He wants to know if you are starting a register of 58 Golden Hawks. He said he would be interested in doing it if you're not.

Below is a picture (although not a very good one) of his car.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I asked Joe Parsons what the serial number of his 58 Golden Hawk is and he replied that it is 6104887 which is earlier than yours. He wants to know if you are starting a register of 58 Golden Hawks. He said he would be interested in doing it if you're not.

Below is a picture (although not a very good one) of his car.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X