Generator light stays on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator light stays on

On my 60 Lark V-8 w/ Delco electrics my generator light stays on all the time, even though when i drove it a couple weeks ago about 80 miles, half way back with the lights on, the battery shows no signs of discharge. The funny thing is, when this first occured, it lasted about a week & then worked normally for around 2 weeks. Since then the light has stayed on. I have made sure all wiring is tight, & have even run jumper wires from the generator to the regulator to eliminate bad wiring. Any ideas?

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Check voltage to make sure it's actually charging. If voltage is correct for some reason the voltage is less on dash side of gauge. Looking at diagram I would first check for loose ignition switch terminals or switch itself by bypassing switch with jumper.

Comment

I agree it is proably the regulator,on my 60v same thing happened, but because the contact were pited the heavenly self heal went to the contacts welding together to produce over charge and boiled my batery(which caused acid to eat the paint on the fender wall and firewall a real mess).
      Trying to clean the contacts and readjusing the clearences is a lost art which I couldn't get right.
      I finally gave in and bought and after market in the same specs and used my talent in making the old cover fit (was only minor fitting)for orignal looks.
      JOE

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
      1960 conv
      SDC member since 1972
      1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
      1960 conv R2 auto
      SDC member since 1972
      http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X