1960 V8 combustion chamber changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 V8 combustion chamber changes

Ther Langworth postwar Studebaker book says the 1960 V8 got modified combustion chambers to reduce rumble.

Anybody know of pictures showing the changes?

Thanks,

Dan Timberlake

Not exactly sure what you are asking about...but here's what I do to them.

Click on Stude Head Porting, then double click on the picture you want to enlarge.

As you intemate, remove all sharp edges, reduce "bumps" where ever possible, lay back ALL locations that will restrict flow.

Mike

Comment

I think that was just an error. There was no change in the 1960 V8 heads unless you count a mid-year change from four valve cover studs to two.
      Now the 170 six definitly got an improved cylinder head, and that 'rumble' was given as the reason. If you look in the parts book for a 1959 six cyl. head, it shows 'not available', and instructs you to use the 1960 head.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Over in the "general discussion" forum bams50 posted some vintage 58 info that confirms the 6 cylinder head was revised.
        Motor Life Dec. 58 excerpts- the Lark

I'd like to see pix of the early and late Studebaker 6 combustion chambers, even though it looks like the sixes were flatheads until 61.

In 1956 American Motors was pretty specific describing the benefits of their new V-8's combustion chamber shape.
        http://wps.com/AMC/Rambler-327/The%20New%20American%20Motors%20V-8%20Engine%20(SAE%20Paper%20details).htm
        "Combustion characteristics are such that chamber shape controls the rate of pressure rise to minimize engine harshness.
        http://wps.com/AMC/Rambler-327/The%20New%20American%20Motors%20V-8%20Engine%20(SAE%20Paper%20details)_files/v8-fig09.jpg

This is from the time George Romney (Mitt's dad) was chairman and president of American Motors (1954 until 1962). Some say he may have played a key role in bringing the compact economy car to the U.S. public, which was of course Studebaker's toe hold for the Lark. Almost 50 years ago he reportedly declared: "Who wants to have a gas-guzzling dinosaur in his garage? . . . Think of the gas bills!"

Dan T

Comment

Hi, Dan,

Neither of those links worked for me.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, Dan,

Neither of those links worked for me.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            Try these...

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dan and Dick -

Interesting reading (though I've only gotten tru one so far!)
              Interesting chamber shape...kinda like most every High Preformance/Race chamber on the market today......!
              Only thing they didn't realize was about moving the spark plug to the hot side of the chamber as being the better side and the exhaust side is closed up just a bit...otherwise...."what is old....is new again"!

The good (my opinion of course) -
              1. Spark plug in as high in the chamber as it can get to slow the possibility of detionation and overall good for the timing requirements.
              2. The intake side is open to the bore (?) diameter to allow easy an flow charge entry.
              3. The exhaust is closed up (a bit much) because it's dry and being "forced" out on that side and to promote intake charge mixture within the chamber.
              4. The heart shape to help keep compression up without hurting anything else.

The bad -
              1. Spark plug on the wrong side, should be on the hot side for several reasons.
              2. Same as the Stude head...the "ledge" needs to be layed back on the "heart" side to eliminate shrouding(a very easy fix!).

Unfortunatly, as can be seen in my photos on the link above, there's not enough chamber to work with on the intake/exhaust side where it would end up being any good to modify. Only an overbore will allow the intake side to be opened up to the bore diameter...and that's only a tiny bit.

And also note....AMC "didn't" put that strange angle cut in the chamber above the "heart" shape side.
              Interesting stuff...I'll finish the rest..thanks again guys.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X