Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti Steering Column Replacement Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Steering Column Replacement Info?

I am going to replace my Avanti II column and would appreciate any info on length, end type, cross-ref, etc. in advance of removing my original one.

Thanks!

Pull the col. and take a measurement. Then call speedway or summitt racing and order a GM col of that lenght. It should bolt right in and wire uo to the same harness. If you have a question call both speed shops and ask for the technical dept. These places build hot rods and can answer your questions by the the worker bee's, that build there own rods.

Comment

Depends what Avanti II you have. Mine is a 1970 and it came with the Studebaker column. A bunch of years ago, I gutted the interior and among other things, installed a 69 Camaro, tilt unit. Around 29", IIRC. The rag joint fits perfectly. Only voodoo I had to solve for, was the underdash mounting.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Ahhh, so this is where the hot rodders get to chim in . You can get brand new columns from Ididit and Flaming River. They will come with tilt and telescopic if you want them, in in the finish you desire. They also sell rag joints and other parts of the linkage as you need it.

Ididit - http://www.ididitinc.com/

Flaming River - http://www.flamingriver.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have installed the Ididits 4 times before on other vehicles; I must have not communicated well in the opening post.

I was just trying to get the correct length column, or equal bolt in, BEFORE I removed the old one, so as to be able to drive the car until the day I changed the column.
          Mine is an '81.

Thanks for the info on the '69 Camaro column; that may be the way to go, to just order one of those.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X