Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any 64 65 Lark type gassers ever been seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any 64 65 Lark type gassers ever been seen?

I have many pics of the Flintstone Flyer 2 Lark,but are there any more gasser style Lark types around? Anyone have any pics to share?? I have ideas floating around in my head,and it is dangerous!!

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

I have many pics of the Flintstone Flyer 2 Lark,but are there any more gasser style Lark types around? Anyone have any pics to share?? I have ideas floating around in my head,and it is dangerous!!
    I guess you could build an all Studebaker Gasser our of a Lark. Use an R engine and a Champ front axle. Interesting......

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Joe,

For that matter, use a short wheel base half ton champ frame. Probably stronger (truck) and less weight by losing the coil spring towers, control, arms, etc. Already has the Dana 44, just needs the right gear set and TT carrier. Just a thought.

Dan Miller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

There was a 427 Chevy powered '64 Challenger that was in attendance at one of the first "Street Machine Nationals". There was a photo of it pulling a wheelie in one of Hot Rod Magazines annual issues back in the early 80s.
        Most '64-'66 Lark type Gassers/Modifieds builders seem to stick with the original front suspension.
        I have a '62 Lark 2dr, and a complete Champ axle set-up that I've long been fanatsizing about.... Just can't bring myself to shooting the Champ in the head.

Comment

a few in this discussion.........

Comment

HEH HEH..My plan does indeed involve the marriage of a 1/2 ton front axle and a Lark body.My friend thinks a 64-66 Lark type will not look proper,but a 59-63 would.I had a 65 on a Cutlass chassis (fubar attempt by someone using beer technology) and it sat really high,without a front bumper.THAT put the body style in my mind,and the fact I have a 65 2 door almost refinished. I just think the midwestr frame is too soft to support anything more than its 194 screaming 6.Not a frame swap is not out of the question,I just do not have the time and $$ right now.But soon! Thats why I was kind of looking for some pics to fuel the fire!

Comment

What is the definition and history of the term "gasser"? I've heard it for years, but as an oval-track racer that has next to no drag racing experience, I don't really know what it means or where it came from. I picture a car sitting wat too high, with a straight axle under it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Scroll down the left and read the article on the history of the gasser classes.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I went to college with Dave Koffel, who built the Flintstoneflyer II, to replace his origonal Packard flyer. Both were built as D class gassers. He has since built a replica of the Packard. Saw Dave and his wife last year at the annual Wink's Stude cruise. The custom 50 in June TW is his. He has a web site www.b1heads.com. He is the one who got me interested in Studebakers back in the mid 50's. Back then a used Stude ohv v-8 was a lot less $ than any thing from the General, Henry or Walter and a lot more fun when you smoked one of the big 3 at the stop light drags. Everyone at that time equated Studes with the Champion fh 6 economy cars not performance. In fact people believed that right up to the end.

Butler, PA
                  63 Avanti R1 R2899
                  Butler, PA
                  63 Avanti R1 R2899

Comment

Thanks for the link bob40; interesting reading. But it still doesn't define a "gasser" as they're referred to today. So how would you define a gasser; and why do they sit so high and have a straight axle?

Forgive my ignorance- remember, I'm a roundy-rounder

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Man-o-man...
                      You sure have led a sheltered life
                      There was an NHRA class during the late fifties and early sixties that had to run gasoline only (no nitromethane, hydrazene, etc.)
                      Due to the wheel base requirements (stock body), the best way to get weight transfer to the back tires was to rotate the body skyward to get the car to squat in the back.
                      It worked as well as anything else in its day.
                      Aero had not showed up yet, nor had Lenco's, Liberty's, tunnel rams, or slider clutches.
                      (But those are drag things, so you wouldn't know about them either[}])
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Thanks for the link bob40; interesting reading. But it still doesn't define a "gasser" as they're referred to today. So how would you define a gasser; and why do they sit so high and have a straight axle?
                      Forgive my ignorance- remember, I'm a roundy-rounder
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I might add that the reason the straight axles,height,and the terminology "gasser" are in homage to the cars of back then.A modern 'recreation'. No different than guys running baby moons or Lancer hubcaps on a custom.Bet ya a pit pass that out your way somebody has built a replica of a vintage stock car.Same thing.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Lenco's, Liberty's, tunnel rams, or slider clutches.
                          (But those are drag things, so you wouldn't know about them either

Quite right[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Bet ya a pit pass that out your way somebody has built a replica of a vintage stock car.
                            You know it... there are replicas for show, classes for authentic old racers, even replicas that are street legal[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                            X