27 to 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 to 44

I have the oppertunity to get a dana 44 TT rear out of a hawk for my car. I have a 64 daytona. the drive shaft will have to be shortened I know, but is there also other changes? will the spring purchase be the same? will the brake parts swap? are the shock mounts the same?
    I cannot do this swap in my garage on my back. I found a local shop that I trust. They will do the swap for me but I want to be ready and do all the work I can myself before i give them the car and the replacement rear... any of you that have done this up grade please jump in. the gear I have is 3.08 open, change to a 3.31 TT.

64 Daytona HT
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Yes, the spring plates are different,NLA. You will need longer "U" Bolts 770206 ($43.50 S.I.)to mount the model 44 larger axle tube to the springs. Also you will need the speedometer pinion 1544762 ($29.00 S.I.)for 3.31 ratio.
    That's all I can think of except, IF the rubber pads (4) 1554620 ($3.50 ea. S.I.) that go above and below the springs are shot you need new ones.
    I and the other Stude. parts vendors on http://studebakervendors.com
    have these items.
    Hope this helps, Rich.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

universal u-bolts from your FLAPS will also work and are less expensive. Agree that the spring plates are key, try to find some with the sway bar mounts if you can for future upgrade. I would replace pinion seal and inner axle seals while you're in there, you can reuse your outer seals if they are still in good shape (they are the same) brakes should bolt right up no problem.

good luck

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Why....do you want to go and make the rear end swap? Is it worth the time, money, speed of the line? Be easy on yourself..

Comment

studerich, what do you mean NLA? no longer available?

nate , there is a 55 or 56 pres.four door in a bone yard near here. the sway bar is gone but the rear and the plates with the mounts on them are still there. would that be a good donor? the place is a u pull it kind of place. they will get the parts if it comes to torches...

I know that this car will get hard use under my right foot. i love the sound of a stude in full song! I have a tape of the pure stock drags in which the PBR takes off...oh that sound...it only comes from a hot stude.
          so...that being the case I will upgrade as time and money allow. I would rather spend the cash up front and drive it hard. it is much better than spend it on towing because I cheeped out. yes I hope to even race once in a while.
          if a dana 44 is good enough for a Viper, and a R3 then it is good enough for what I want it for. rich

64 Daytona HT
          64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

As far as the 27 vs 44 strength question goes. My Power Hawk has a R2/R3 engine in it that turns 104mph in the quarter. I have broken several transmissions and clutches, but the 44 differential is the same one that came in the car in 56. On the other hand the spider gears broke in the 27 I have in my bone stock 62 Lark 259.
            David

Comment

If I might add... Yes, the spring "perches" will be the same. That is to say that the rear axle WILL sit on the springs just as the 27 does, but, as has been mentioned already, you'll need the clamp/shock attachment plates and the wider, longer U-bolts as well. These can be gotten from any spring service shop or they'll make them for you for a modest charge.
              Finding plates with the extra ear on them as N8 suggests, would be nice - but don't expect that to be easy since the majority of 44-equipped cars didn't come with a rear sway bar.[V] Of course, a good welder should be able to add ears so long as you can provide him with dimesions.
              If, as you say, that donor car had a rear sway bar (and Y-bodied cars from '53 thru 58 DID come with those), those plates would serve you well.
              Yes - NLA means no longer available.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes Rich. all those parts I have new, except the NLA spring plates, you will see that term used alot in Studeland unfortunately nowdays.

The '55-'56 Spring plates will be good for the extra "ear" for a rear stabilizer bar... BUT[}] keep in mind you will need to get '62 and earlier shocks to fit them. Your '64 has a straight shaft and nut lower mounting and '56 have a cross pin mount.[:0]

quote:Originally posted by am not r2

studerich, what do you mean NLA? no longer available?
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dana tubes have a bit larger diameter,you'll not only need longer but more diameter "U" bolts.
                  Kim

Comment

well the rear end I was hoping for didn't work out. the president in the local wrecking yard has a 44 in it and the plates with the swaybar mount. they want 75 bucks for the rear.(sway bar is gone) it is a TT I think. the ID plate is gone.
                    so here is the question? what gear ratio would this likely be? the plate on the firewall is 6h-y6 or 6y-h6. It is a pres 4 door with passmaster valve cover decals(56-?)
                    next, there is some slop in the rear. I was going to have a local 4x4 shop rebuild the rear anyway, how much play is too much? there is really not much left of the body of the car the engine has lost the intake and several other parts. is this more trouble and $$$ than it is worth? thanks Rich

64 Daytona HT
                    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

The answer in one word Rich...YES. This does not sound like a good deal, there must be someone closer to Burnt Hills, NY that has a very common 44 TT 3.31 ratio rear axle assembly for sale in working condition, as in recently removed from a running car. Those are always a better buy than one thats been in the weeds and mud for 30 years in a junkyard! Here on the west coast we have dozens of those around, but the shipping and crating would be as much as the rear end!

Incidently, if it's a 6H-Y6 the car is a late '55 President State sedan, with wraparound W/S, that also explains the 1955 Passmaster Decals![^]

quote:Originally posted by am not r2

is this more trouble and $$$ than it is worth? thanks Rich
                      64 Daytona HT
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

that is what I thought. I will get the spring plates from it so I can add the rear sway bar later and pass on that rear.
                        anyone in the northeast got a good dana 44 that they want to part with? 3:73 or num. higher please and TT is a plus. let me know off the group.thanks, Rich.
                        mohawk trails chapter sdc

64 Daytona HT
                        64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

I have D44 gears in 3.31,3.54& 3.73. I even have a couple of 30 spline trac lock carriers if you need one.I believe the "TT" is a power lock?
                          Brand new carriers are comming out of Asia now for pretty cheap and there are several "Lunch box lockers" that you can use right in an existing open carrier,so your options are limitless!

'64 R2 back on da road again
                          POCI,SCCA,SIMTA
                          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Working...
                          X