Update: Studebaker engines on a B-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Studebaker engines on a B-17

As discussed here last year, Studebaker made Wright Cyclone engines under license during the war.
    The EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast is in town this week so I went down the street at lunch to check it out.
    I'm pleased to report engines 3 & 4 (the two on the right wing) are Studebaker-made units.

I offer the update as engines may have been changed during Winter maintenance...

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

The "Texas Raider" has three Studes, one Wright.

Comment

Here are some photos of a B-17 that was here in Lubbock a few weeks ago. Dumb me didn't get the name of the aircraft.

All three engines that are visible are Studebakers. The fourth one (which you can't see anyway) isn't.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The Memphis Bell will have all four Studebaker engines when it is put back together. In the Book written by the pilot of the Bell he always insisted on Wright Cyclone engines. On one mission one of his engines was a Studebaker replacement. Unfortunately that engine failed. After that he would not fly with Studebaker engines. However when the Bell was taken apart for restoration all of the engines being rebuilt were Studebakers. The group that started the restoration in Memphis was unable to complete the job and the Bell was moved to the National Museum of the US Air Force near Dayton, Oh. It is estimated it may take up to 10 years to finish the restoration.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

John, several years ago that plane was in Reading, PA at their very large WWII weekend and I got a chance to talk to the pilot who told me the Studebaker engines were the most reliable on the plane. it made me very proud especially when he saw me looking at the data plate. I have also talked to some WWII Vets who flew on 17's and they said the same thing. Thanks for posting the comments.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock
            Here are some photos of a B-17 that was here in Lubbock a few weeks ago. Dumb me didn't get the name of the aircraft.
            The B-17 you saw is "Nine O Nine" of the Collings Foundation.
            They travel the country and offer rides in a B-17, B-24 (one of two flying in the world), A B-25, and a rare P-51C (a "razorback" not the more common bubble canopy "D" model).
            Here's a link to their webpage on their tours:

They also operate the sole civilian F-4 Phantom II and an A-4 Skyhawk (the type flown by John McCain in Vietnam) and a Bell Huey. (Sorry, no rides in these....)

The organization also maintains a fleet of historic cars,
            Including a 1931 Studebaker President.
            (looks like we need to make them a deal on a 1957 Golden Hawk & Avanti R2 )

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

[/quote]

The B-17 you saw is "Nine O Nine" of the Collings Foundation.
              They travel the country and offer rides in a B-17, B-24 (one of two flying in the world), A B-25, and a rare P-51C (a "razorback" not the more common bubble canopy "D" model).
              Here's a link to their webpage on their tours:

They also operate the sole civilian F-4 Phantom II and an A-4 Skyhawk (the type flown by John McCain in Vietnam) and a Bell Huey. (Sorry, no rides in these....)

The organization also maintains a fleet of historic cars,
              Including a 1931 Studebaker President.
              (looks like we need to make them a deal on a 1957 Golden Hawk & Avanti R2 )

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              [/quote]

And to think 20 years ago a B-17 was at a show in Southern Pines, North Carolina and I could have gotten a ride for $60 and didn't do it

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

John, you mention a P-51C, even though the visibility out of the bubble top P-51 was much better, the top speed of the P-51C was 5mph higher than the latter model. And yes they need an R-2, right after I get one for me!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks JBoyle for the name.

Joe, you won't ever see $60 rides again! I think they were about $400 for the Nine O Nine, a little more for the other two planes when they were here.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sentimental Journey and the B-17 at RAF Duxford have three Studebaker engines.

Comment

Yup, been there!

Claude Chmielewski
                      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                      47 M-16 Truck
                      62 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark
                      64 Commander Wagonaire
                      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                      [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
                      "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
                      communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
                      honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
                      matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
                      much in fashion anymore."
                      1936 Dictator
                      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                      1953 Commander Regal HT
                      1953 2R5 Pickup
                      1947 M16 Truck
                      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                      1963 GT Hawk R2
                      1964 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

John, you mention a P-51C, even though the visibility out of the bubble top P-51 was much better, the top speed of the P-51C was 5mph higher than the latter model. And yes they need an R-2, right after I get one for me!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If memory serves me correctly. Late in the war, Studebaker took over the contract and facilities that produced the B17G The War Department allowed this transfer to necessitate Boeing returning to civilian aircraft production.

Comment

These were shot in 2000 when I took a ride on Sentimental Journey

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

If memory serves me correctly. Late in the war, Studebaker took over the contract and facilities that produced the B17G The War Department allowed this transfer to necessitate Boeing returning to civilian aircraft production.
                              I've never read that in my extensive readings on Boeing history.

The B-17s were made at Boeing's Seattle (Boeing Field), plant (along with Douglas and Vega/Lockheed in California).
                              If the event occurred, it was a paperwork or management team exercise only. I can assure you Boeing never turned over their plant to anyone.
                              Maybe it was Douglas? Because they did have the DC-4 to produce...but again, I've never read that either.

Also...Boeing didn't have a civilian aircraft business to [u]return</u> to!
                              Their prewar airliners..the 247 and 307 (a pressurized B-17 variant) were commercial flops and outdated by the end of the war and there were no plans to resume production of those types.
                              Boeing wouldn't produce an airliner until the Stratocruiser (a B-29 variant) came along in the late 40s.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X