lstude
10-25-2006, 03:29 AM
This just in from Larry Swanson...
(Forwarded by Jeff Rice)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4282574.html

Oct. 24, 2006, 12:08AM
Avanti Motor Corp Opens Cancun Factory

2006 The Associated Press

MEXICO CITY ? Avanti Motor Corp, makers of a luxury, stylish coupe have opened up a new factory in the Mexican resort town of Cancun, the company announced.

In a news release Monday, the Atlanta-based company said the factory started operating last week and aims to produce 400 cars per year. Next to the factory, the company will open a museum of classic Avanti models, the release said.
Avanti cars, which are popular with collectors, were originally introduced by Studebaker a year before the automaker went out of business in 1963. The original Avanti design was by Raymond Loewy for Studebaker as a way to save the flagging firm

Avanti Motor Corp was founded in 1964 and has produced the cars in Ohio and Georgia.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/Mein64Daytonasm.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/52inyardsm-1.jpg

studegary
10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I think that this (Avanti in Mexico) has been covered in another thread here.

I am surprised at the errors in the press release. Mike Kelly knows better. I guess that he doesn't proof what goes out. We know that Studebaker didn't go out of business in 1963 or even in 1964. I thought that the Avanti Motor Corp. was founded in 1965, not 1964, but my memory could be off on that. They also don't mention that Avanti Motor Corp. made most of their cars in Indiana. Even my 1987 was made in South Bend.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studegary
10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I think that this (Avanti in Mexico) has been covered in another thread here.

I am surprised at the errors in the press release. Mike Kelly knows better. I guess that he doesn't proof what goes out. We know that Studebaker didn't go out of business in 1963 or even in 1964. I thought that the Avanti Motor Corp. was founded in 1965, not 1964, but my memory could be off on that. They also don't mention that Avanti Motor Corp. made most of their cars in Indiana. Even my 1987 was made in South Bend.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

JBOYLE
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
"Avanti cars, which are popular with collectors, were originally introduced by Studebaker a year before the automaker went out of business in 1963."

Before we blame Avanti Motors, I think the AP messed up the story. If you read that line differently, I think the writer may have been trying to say the Avanti was introduced in 1963, a year before Studebaker went out of business. (We know better, but for most Americans, they went under when they quit producing cars in South Bend...)

[u]IF</u> that is what the AP writer was trying to say,they didn't say it well and he/she needs to go back to journalism school.
Then again, maybe Avanti got a local (with limited English) PR person with the plant.:D
A brief commerical: If that's the case, I'd be happy to offer my services to Mike Kelly...I have 20 years in PR and 5 in TV news... blatant plug over.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JBOYLE
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
"Avanti cars, which are popular with collectors, were originally introduced by Studebaker a year before the automaker went out of business in 1963."

Before we blame Avanti Motors, I think the AP messed up the story. If you read that line differently, I think the writer may have been trying to say the Avanti was introduced in 1963, a year before Studebaker went out of business. (We know better, but for most Americans, they went under when they quit producing cars in South Bend...)

[u]IF</u> that is what the AP writer was trying to say,they didn't say it well and he/she needs to go back to journalism school.
Then again, maybe Avanti got a local (with limited English) PR person with the plant.:D
A brief commerical: If that's the case, I'd be happy to offer my services to Mike Kelly...I have 20 years in PR and 5 in TV news... blatant plug over.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

mainiac
11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Does any one have any contact info for Avanti in Cancun, Mexico? dladrigan@live.com

Chris Pile
11-16-2011, 08:39 AM
The assets of Mike Kelly and Avanti Motors was seized by the government a few years back.
Mike Kelly will be enjoying the hospitality of the federal prison system for quite some time.

Avantidon
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Contact the Mexican Govt as they hold the keys to the facility and the cars and parts inside continue to deteriorate due to moisture and all the while Mr. Kelly enjoys the comfort of the Federal Govt in Chicago where he will remain for a long time to come.

Sdude
11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I got all excited until I looked at the date of the original post. I've been waiting for someone to take over operations and re-open/start producing Avantis again.

I guess I'll still be waiting a while longer.