Early vs. full flow 289.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early vs. full flow 289.

For normal usage is there any advantage to a later full flow block over an earlier one that sees regualr maintenance and 6 to 10,000 iles a year tops?

Analog man in a digital world.

The partial flow blocks are a lot more plentiful & cheaper to buy than a full flow.If the motor in question is in good shape & well maintained you should get years of service from it at the estimated usage.

Comment

Keep the oil changed...should be good for as many miles as a full flow engine...why not?
      My daily driver is a 59 Lark, 2dr wagon, "no" filter 259. I just dump some fresh Castrol GTX in the crank case every 2000/2500 miles. It's served me well for over 8 years at about 13000 to 16000 miles a year.

Mike

Comment

The latest theory is that the block molds were getting quite worn by the time the full flow engines came out. The earlier castings are supposed to be more precise than the later ones. Of course, the castings of 58-62 are probably only marginally better than the ones of 62-64. You can get more core shift in a worn mold than a fresh mold. I guess that means the earlier block should be better than the older one.

Comment

Thaks, just wondered, mine is a '56.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

The latest theory is that the block molds were getting quite worn by the time the full flow engines came out. The earlier castings are supposed to be more precise than the later ones. Of course, the castings of 58-62 are probably only marginally better than the ones of 62-64. You can get more core shift in a worn mold than a fresh mold. I guess that means the earlier block should be better than the older one.
            Interesting... I wonder how that theory squares with the high performance stuff done to many '63 and '64 blocks??

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
            X