Where are the molds now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the molds now?

Looking at my 30+ year old Newman & Altman catalog, I see that fiberglass C cab front and rear fenders were available for purchase. I know that you can still buy the rears, but why aren't the fronts being made? There'd probably be somewhat of a market for them...

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

You're right, Matthew. I see alot more of these trucks now than I ever did 30 years ago. Question is though, where'd you get a 30 year old catalog? You weren't even a glimmer in your Mom's eye then!

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Having chased this question before IIRC I chatted with Dennis at SASCO and the story was the molds went to someone in a mutual venture that was going to make some up for SASCO. That guy faded and the molds were not returned to SASCO, Never to be seen again. . . That's the story I recall.

Others please chime in if you know otherwise.

Henry Votel, Editor
      North Star Wheel
      North Star Chapter SDC
      Henry Votel,
      Forest Lake, MN
      Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Got the catalog with a load of parts we bought a while back.

That explanation sounds believable, Henry. A shame, however. [V]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

A similar situation involved the Avanti steering wheel. N&A trusted the manufacture to keep the molds and dies rather then return them after completing an order. This was done to avoid the transportation expense as the molds and dies were heavy. A practicable arrangement except, one day when the manufacture received a call from N&A, N&A were told they could not find the molds & dies. Any one remember seeing an Avanti steering wheel in a motor boat? I didn't but heard a rumor that there was a line of boats sporting the Avanti steering wheel.

Comment

Somewhere I had a photo of one of the 1964? Cord 810 replicars made in Broken Arrow, OK that used the Avanti style steering wheels. They had them in colors to complement the car body color, Maroon and Black in particular. Check your old Road & Track reviews. Stude8

1928 Commander GB

Comment

No, but I remember seeing a Hawk steering wheel on Forrest Gump's srimp boat....Jenny
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Retired

<snip>
              Any one remember seeing an Avanti steering wheel in a motor boat?<snip>
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I know a guy in Omaha who has one of the Glen Pray Cords. It had a walnut grain Avanti wheel. Never could talk him out of it.
                Denny L

Comment

Working...
                X