Which hub tool ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which hub tool ?

Ordering some parts and the manuals for the 63 lark this week.I found a number of threads refering to the hub puller for the rear drums but no part number.I found several listed at SASCO but none say what they fit.Anyone know what part number I need?Thanks in advance,Steve
    sigpic

No part number, not a factory part. this is what you need, check ebay.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks,Ive marked a couple and I will take the pic to my FLAPS tommorrow and see what they offer up.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

They adjust to almost any size used on cars.

Comment

I prefer the kind pictured. Studebaker did have a service tool for this (don't know the number). The Studebaker hub puller was a solid, circular piece that bolted to the drum and you drove a wedge into it to loosen the hub. When I had the option of either type, I used the aftermarket type pictured.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just a warning on the type pictured above. We have a member injured when a part broke when being hit with the pictured hammer. With the abundance of cheap tools available today, I prefer to use a 3/4" drive socket set with a jack handle for leverage. With lots of tension on the tool, remove the socket and strike it with a hammer, if necessary(but not full strength), to shock the hub loose.

Comment

I bought one from Stars and Stripes{aka,WWW.SASTOOL.com} The folks there were both friendly and knowledgable about Studey's.Got it in 3 days and has given me NO PROBLEMS.I believe I found them in TW.

Comment

P.S. I had to put tension on the tool and let it sit for a couple of hours and the hub came off by itself.

Comment

I've been whacking mine with that big hammer for 30 years, and it was old when I bought it. I've seen some older ones that the dog bone ears were mushrommed from daily use back in the days when a shop used them more, but never heard of breaking one, but would never consider buying a cheapie just in case.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Chuck Collins sells a puller that works very well and isn't expensive either.........

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

bought mine on ebay new in a case

BRAD

Comment

Whatever type you use, don't forget to put the axle nut back on loosely to catch the drum when it breaks loose. They have been known to fly across the room with the potential for serious injury.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Chuck Collins sells a puller that works very well and isn't expensive either.........

Dwain G.
                          Dwain, Checked out Chuck's site and it looks to me like he just loans his out, does not appear he sells them.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by doug
                            I prefer to use a 3/4" drive socket set with a jack handle for leverage.
                            Quite frankly, I don't think that would do it for 80% of the ones I've had to remove. Most need fairly heavy blows from a BFH.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for all the input.My boss at work has one he says I can use if he can find it.If not I have a couple marked in my E-bay account.I am going to have to buy one eventually anyway as I have the 53 to do also and am about to make an offer on three more larks,all with standard studebaker brakes(none).
                              I also need a pic if anyone has one of a valve spring tool that will work on the 53 flathead 6.I have a couple but none work well on it for various reasons(Too long,too thick,etc..).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X