PDA

View Full Version : It ain't pretty, but it's all there

showbizkid
10-24-2006, 01:53 AM
eBay sighting: '55 Speedster in California. All there, but well suntanned [8D]

http://tinyurl.com/y5s2q2

It sure does look complete to me... it'd take a lot of work, but could definitely be brought back.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Scott
10-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I always wonder how cars end up like that. With a modicum of care over the years, I don't see how any car can end up with paint splotches, and such - expecially a car that was once rather expensive.

Scott
10-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I always wonder how cars end up like that. With a modicum of care over the years, I don't see how any car can end up with paint splotches, and such - expecially a car that was once rather expensive.

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
If you were sharp-eyed, you saw this car in the photos that Dick Steinkamp put up for us to look at last week. This is one of the stash of Bob Peterson in the SF Bay area.

It looks like a damned solid place to start if you want a genuine Speedster to restore. Even with a bit of exterior sheet metal cancer.

I've had a hand in seeing a half dozen or so California Speedsters being brought out of the shadows over the past 5 or 6 years. Most of them were in good, solid condition. I bought one out of the bay area myself a few years ago. Seller was quite a guy to deal with. He told me that he had a Speedster but that it wasn't for sale. When I asked why, he said it was because I wouldn't be willing to pay his price for it. Of course, I found that curious since he hadn't told me a price at that point.
Before I could ask "how much", he lit off into the story about how he'd had so many lookers that gaffed when he told them a price that he'd deduced that it probably wasn't worth what he was asking. Finally tho, I got a moment where he was catching his breath again and I asked "how much?". When he said $1200, I could only ask how he wanted me to gtet the money to him.[:p]
Then there was the one that the seller apologized for asking a grand for:( And it was NICE save for a stuck engine and the 3-spd OD, floorshift conversion.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
If you were sharp-eyed, you saw this car in the photos that Dick Steinkamp put up for us to look at last week. This is one of the stash of Bob Peterson in the SF Bay area.

It looks like a damned solid place to start if you want a genuine Speedster to restore. Even with a bit of exterior sheet metal cancer.

I've had a hand in seeing a half dozen or so California Speedsters being brought out of the shadows over the past 5 or 6 years. Most of them were in good, solid condition. I bought one out of the bay area myself a few years ago. Seller was quite a guy to deal with. He told me that he had a Speedster but that it wasn't for sale. When I asked why, he said it was because I wouldn't be willing to pay his price for it. Of course, I found that curious since he hadn't told me a price at that point.
Before I could ask "how much", he lit off into the story about how he'd had so many lookers that gaffed when he told them a price that he'd deduced that it probably wasn't worth what he was asking. Finally tho, I got a moment where he was catching his breath again and I asked "how much?". When he said $1200, I could only ask how he wanted me to gtet the money to him.[:p]
Then there was the one that the seller apologized for asking a grand for:( And it was NICE save for a stuck engine and the 3-spd OD, floorshift conversion.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
BTW, JDP - this one's got your handle on the license plate.... sorta[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
BTW, JDP - this one's got your handle on the license plate.... sorta[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Dick Steinkamp
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, I've seen this car. It's as described in the listing.

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back (unless you were personally VERY handy with all phases of restoration).

OTOH, doing it yourself has several advantages. You end up with EXACTLY what you want and done the way YOU want to do it. You know the car inside and out. No surprises down the road. You don't have to come up with the big bucks all at once...you spend money as you have it for the project. You have the enjoyment of restoring the car (that's IF working on cars is something you enjoy).

Unlike Mr. Bigg's stories, Peterson KNOWS what a Speedster in the rough is worth. You won't steal this car from him, but IMHO, the reserve is more than fair for a complete Speedster with very little rust.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, I've seen this car. It's as described in the listing.

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back (unless you were personally VERY handy with all phases of restoration).

OTOH, doing it yourself has several advantages. You end up with EXACTLY what you want and done the way YOU want to do it. You know the car inside and out. No surprises down the road. You don't have to come up with the big bucks all at once...you spend money as you have it for the project. You have the enjoyment of restoring the car (that's IF working on cars is something you enjoy).

Unlike Mr. Bigg's stories, Peterson KNOWS what a Speedster in the rough is worth. You won't steal this car from him, but IMHO, the reserve is more than fair for a complete Speedster with very little rust.

studegary
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Unless it has been altered, it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car (based on what I see on my monitor). Someone with the books handy could check the serial number to verify this, or not.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studegary
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Unless it has been altered, it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car (based on what I see on my monitor). Someone with the books handy could check the serial number to verify this, or not.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

Dick Steinkamp
10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary
it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car

The SN begins 71 which makes it a South Bend car. An LA car would begin 78.

I wonder how many SB assembled cars came west due to the low production volume of the LA plant?

Dick Steinkamp
10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary
it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car

The SN begins 71 which makes it a South Bend car. An LA car would begin 78.

I wonder how many SB assembled cars came west due to the low production volume of the LA plant?

studeclunker
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, well not only shipped west, but migrated with their owners. It was during the 55-65 period that California's population went from three million to something like twenty or twenty-five million.

Oh, Scott... That's not paint splotches. That is to say, I don't think anyone spilt paint on the car. It looks to me like that's places where the original paint job is still hanging in there.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

studeclunker
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, well not only shipped west, but migrated with their owners. It was during the 55-65 period that California's population went from three million to something like twenty or twenty-five million.

Oh, Scott... That's not paint splotches. That is to say, I don't think anyone spilt paint on the car. It looks to me like that's places where the original paint job is still hanging in there.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
I find that most of the pre-57 cars I find out here WERE CA-built. Makes sense tho!

The 53 Coupe I've got, the 54 Hardtop I just sold, the 51 Biz coupe that hides out around here and others that have come and gone (including the two Speedsters I mentioned earlier)

The 55 President I have was built in SB and spent it's first year or two in Virginia before the college professor that owned it, transferred to Berkley.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
I find that most of the pre-57 cars I find out here WERE CA-built. Makes sense tho!

The 53 Coupe I've got, the 54 Hardtop I just sold, the 51 Biz coupe that hides out around here and others that have come and gone (including the two Speedsters I mentioned earlier)

The 55 President I have was built in SB and spent it's first year or two in Virginia before the college professor that owned it, transferred to Berkley.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

showbizkid
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back

Dick's comment brings up something I've been thinking about for a while. Yeah, if you want a Speedster (or any cool old car, for that matter), it's always going to be cheaper to buy it done than it will be to do it. Thing is, somebody's got to do the "doing" - otherwise none of them would be brought back!

It really is a labor of love to bring back an old car. Most guys aren't in it for the money, I don't think, unless you're one of those Barrett-Jackson types.

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard

showbizkid
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back

Dick's comment brings up something I've been thinking about for a while. Yeah, if you want a Speedster (or any cool old car, for that matter), it's always going to be cheaper to buy it done than it will be to do it. Thing is, somebody's got to do the "doing" - otherwise none of them would be brought back!

It really is a labor of love to bring back an old car. Most guys aren't in it for the money, I don't think, unless you're one of those Barrett-Jackson types.

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard

rockne10
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Valid points on both sides. I'd prefer to buy a really solid, complete, straight car that looks crappy and redo it myself; no bondo over chicken wire or coffee cans riveted to the floor; no wiring ready to ignite, brake lines waiting to puke or bearings that haven't been lubed in fifteen years.

If you are going to buy something for an agreeable price that's already done and represented as show ready-or even driveable-you need to personally scrutinize the quality of the work. Have all systems been addressed, as well as appearance?

Beautiful cosmetics over a sixty year old piece of crap do not a safe or investable car make.

There are things I used to pay others to do that I now do myself, and there are things I trust to professionals who may grumble at me looking over their shoulder, but the final put together is mine. I can drive with great confidence and no small amount of pride.

Pay someone else to do it if you have the money and you still won't be certain what you've got.

An unrestored solid car is a diamond in the rough. It's the cutter that creates the value, not the buyer.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Valid points on both sides. I'd prefer to buy a really solid, complete, straight car that looks crappy and redo it myself; no bondo over chicken wire or coffee cans riveted to the floor; no wiring ready to ignite, brake lines waiting to puke or bearings that haven't been lubed in fifteen years.

If you are going to buy something for an agreeable price that's already done and represented as show ready-or even driveable-you need to personally scrutinize the quality of the work. Have all systems been addressed, as well as appearance?

Beautiful cosmetics over a sixty year old piece of crap do not a safe or investable car make.

There are things I used to pay others to do that I now do myself, and there are things I trust to professionals who may grumble at me looking over their shoulder, but the final put together is mine. I can drive with great confidence and no small amount of pride.

Pay someone else to do it if you have the money and you still won't be certain what you've got.

An unrestored solid car is a diamond in the rough. It's the cutter that creates the value, not the buyer.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

klifton1
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Being from the rust belt. I started with a lot worst than that one.
But I wanted it my way, and I knew what I was getting into.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

klifton1
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Being from the rust belt. I started with a lot worst than that one.
But I wanted it my way, and I knew what I was getting into.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

studegary
10-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Things do change with time and people's resources, including shop space. When I was in my 20s, 30s and 40s, I rebuilt cars that were worse than this Speedster. After I got into my 60s, I switched over to buying cars that were at least near finished and had lived in a part of the country with a lot less rust than NY.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

studegary
10-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Things do change with time and people's resources, including shop space. When I was in my 20s, 30s and 40s, I rebuilt cars that were worse than this Speedster. After I got into my 60s, I switched over to buying cars that were at least near finished and had lived in a part of the country with a lot less rust than NY.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY