This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't pretty, but it's all there

eBay sighting: '55 Speedster in California. All there, but well suntanned [8D]

It sure does look complete to me... it'd take a lot of work, but could definitely be brought back.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I always wonder how cars end up like that. With a modicum of care over the years, I don't see how any car can end up with paint splotches, and such - expecially a car that was once rather expensive.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I always wonder how cars end up like that. With a modicum of care over the years, I don't see how any car can end up with paint splotches, and such - expecially a car that was once rather expensive.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If you were sharp-eyed, you saw this car in the photos that Dick Steinkamp put up for us to look at last week. This is one of the stash of Bob Peterson in the SF Bay area.

It looks like a damned solid place to start if you want a genuine Speedster to restore. Even with a bit of exterior sheet metal cancer.

I've had a hand in seeing a half dozen or so California Speedsters being brought out of the shadows over the past 5 or 6 years. Most of them were in good, solid condition. I bought one out of the bay area myself a few years ago. Seller was quite a guy to deal with. He told me that he had a Speedster but that it wasn't for sale. When I asked why, he said it was because I wouldn't be willing to pay his price for it. Of course, I found that curious since he hadn't told me a price at that point.
        Before I could ask "how much", he lit off into the story about how he'd had so many lookers that gaffed when he told them a price that he'd deduced that it probably wasn't worth what he was asking. Finally tho, I got a moment where he was catching his breath again and I asked "how much?". When he said $1200, I could only ask how he wanted me to gtet the money to him.[]
        Then there was the one that the seller apologized for asking a grand for And it was NICE save for a stuck engine and the 3-spd OD, floorshift conversion.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you were sharp-eyed, you saw this car in the photos that Dick Steinkamp put up for us to look at last week. This is one of the stash of Bob Peterson in the SF Bay area.

It looks like a damned solid place to start if you want a genuine Speedster to restore. Even with a bit of exterior sheet metal cancer.

I've had a hand in seeing a half dozen or so California Speedsters being brought out of the shadows over the past 5 or 6 years. Most of them were in good, solid condition. I bought one out of the bay area myself a few years ago. Seller was quite a guy to deal with. He told me that he had a Speedster but that it wasn't for sale. When I asked why, he said it was because I wouldn't be willing to pay his price for it. Of course, I found that curious since he hadn't told me a price at that point.
          Before I could ask "how much", he lit off into the story about how he'd had so many lookers that gaffed when he told them a price that he'd deduced that it probably wasn't worth what he was asking. Finally tho, I got a moment where he was catching his breath again and I asked "how much?". When he said $1200, I could only ask how he wanted me to gtet the money to him.[]
          Then there was the one that the seller apologized for asking a grand for And it was NICE save for a stuck engine and the 3-spd OD, floorshift conversion.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BTW, JDP - this one's got your handle on the license plate.... sorta[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

BTW, JDP - this one's got your handle on the license plate.... sorta[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, I've seen this car. It's as described in the listing.

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back (unless you were personally VERY handy with all phases of restoration).

OTOH, doing it yourself has several advantages. You end up with EXACTLY what you want and done the way YOU want to do it. You know the car inside and out. No surprises down the road. You don't have to come up with the big bucks all at once...you spend money as you have it for the project. You have the enjoyment of restoring the car (that's IF working on cars is something you enjoy).

Unlike Mr. Bigg's stories, Peterson KNOWS what a Speedster in the rough is worth. You won't steal this car from him, but IMHO, the reserve is more than fair for a complete Speedster with very little rust.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, I've seen this car. It's as described in the listing.

The $20,000-$30,000 it would take to buy a "finished" Speedster would most likely be less money than it would take to bring this one back (unless you were personally VERY handy with all phases of restoration).

OTOH, doing it yourself has several advantages. You end up with EXACTLY what you want and done the way YOU want to do it. You know the car inside and out. No surprises down the road. You don't have to come up with the big bucks all at once...you spend money as you have it for the project. You have the enjoyment of restoring the car (that's IF working on cars is something you enjoy).

Unlike Mr. Bigg's stories, Peterson KNOWS what a Speedster in the rough is worth. You won't steal this car from him, but IMHO, the reserve is more than fair for a complete Speedster with very little rust.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Unless it has been altered, it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car (based on what I see on my monitor). Someone with the books handy could check the serial number to verify this, or not.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Unless it has been altered, it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car (based on what I see on my monitor). Someone with the books handy could check the serial number to verify this, or not.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                        it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car
                        The SN begins 71 which makes it a South Bend car. An LA car would begin 78.

I wonder how many SB assembled cars came west due to the low production volume of the LA plant?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                          it does not appear to be a Vernon, California assembled car
                          The SN begins 71 which makes it a South Bend car. An LA car would begin 78.

I wonder how many SB assembled cars came west due to the low production volume of the LA plant?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yeah, well not only shipped west, but migrated with their owners. It was during the 55-65 period that California's population went from three million to something like twenty or twenty-five million.

Oh, Scott... That's not paint splotches. That is to say, I don't think anyone spilt paint on the car. It looks to me like that's places where the original paint job is still hanging in there.

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yeah, well not only shipped west, but migrated with their owners. It was during the 55-65 period that California's population went from three million to something like twenty or twenty-five million.

Oh, Scott... That's not paint splotches. That is to say, I don't think anyone spilt paint on the car. It looks to me like that's places where the original paint job is still hanging in there.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X