Hood Badge colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Badge colors

The hood badge on my 51 Champion is all sort of bronze colored. I have seen some badges painted multi-colored. I don't know if mine has all the paint worn off, or if it came unpainted due to it being a Custom (lowest trim package) edition. Mine is in pretty good shape, other than being the color of 3-week old oatmeal... Yeah, I know it's called "patina" but it still looks cruddy. I know that some purists say you should never remove this patina (Yes, I have watched Antiques Roadshow, even those two twins kind of give me the creeps) but should I clean this up?

Any pictures or examples of what a painted one should look like? Anyone know if mine is supposed to be monochromatic or multi-colored?

Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

All the ones I've seen are made of brass, and they clean up (for a while anyways) with baking soda and water. If you could clean it up, then clear it, that would look good. I don't have a clue as to how they were finished from the factory, however.

I even made a belt buckle from a Commander V8 one.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I had these reproduced about 8 years ago using a new old stock original. The photo above is the reproduction. Price is $75 plus $2 postage if interested.

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Nice reproduction, as usual, Richard.
        This is an example of Studebaker using a thunderbird long before Ford. (I guess that some would call it a hawk.)

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Belt buckle... hmm. I may buy a new one from Richard, and turn my old one into a buckle. Richard - I'll PM you.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Working...
          X