1949 R2 Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 R2 Pickup

I would like to install a 259 V8 in my pickup. What type of motor mounts do I need? Will the existing clutch lingage work?

Your clutch linkage will not fit. Studebaker first installed V8s in its 1/2-ton trucks in 1955. The easiest way to install a Stude V8 in a 49 2R truck is to find a 55-59 pickup in a junkyard and remove the motor mounts, the clutch linkage, and other parts that are different from those used with the 6. If your truck is a 2R5 that was originally equipped with the Champion 6, the Pitman arm and front springs are also different. You may want to buy a 49-56 truck parts book from one of the Stude parts vendors. It will tell you which items are different. You might also try using the search feature of this site. This subject has been discussed before, and a number of folks have executed this swap.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm installing a 289 with clutch in my frame and having problems with alignment of the clutch shaft between the bellhousing and frame. It seems like the frame mounting position has to be so far forward that it is going to interfere with the crossmember about 1/2". I don't know what year the frame is or the bellhousing. But I would guess about 55 on the frame and 60 on the bell. I hate to notch the crossmember but it looks like the only way.

Comment

I have often wondered why it took Stude so long to start putting their V8 in their trucks. Certainly most trucks in the 1950s were used in local, low-speed service, but both Chevy and Ford used their V8s in trucks as soon as they were available.

A check of the parts book shows that Stude made many running changes in their frames -- many part numbers were used in only one year. Some of these changes were presumably made to allow the use of their V8. As the highway system improved back in the 50s, replacing a worn-out Stude truck 6 with a Stude V8 was a fairly common practice, and many were done by Stude dealers. I don't think many of those dealers worried much about notching a crossmember. There were a couple of big Stude 2R trucks at South Bend last year that had had 289s installed in them many years ago. It would be interesting to know what shortcuts those guys did to make those engines fit 50 years ago.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

You will need a truck bellhousing, motor mounts (front and rear) plus the clutch operating shaft from the bellhousing to the frame pivot. Also, you will need a commander 6 or V8 radiator from a 49-55 truck (the radiator you have mounts behind the radiator support, the one you need will fit in the radiator support). If you are going with a 3 speed column shift, you will need the shift arms as well. If you would like, feel free to either email me (rebelstude@aol.com) or give me a call 415 333-7199. I've done this swap on 1/2 ton and 2 ton trucks (successfully too!)

George
          George

Comment

Working...
          X