Orange truck - Progress is progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange truck - Progress is progress

I've gotten a few things done to the ole truck lately.

Got a set of aluminum headlight assemblies from Sal. The bumper came from Mr. Biggs. I bought a set of headlight rims from Biggsie as well.

The bumper isn't mounted on, just sitting on the frame horns, which is why it looks lower than it should be.

I'm also leaning toward adding the door trim.

I'm completely rebuilding the brake system. So far, I've got a new master cylinder installed, and everything from there back is all new. Lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, etc.

Chevy drum installed. I'll never need a hub puller again.

I'm gonna tear into the fronts soon, and replace everything in there, as well as all the lines going to the front as well.

Once I get the brakes done, it'll be time for a new coat of Omaha Orange paint. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Wow. Pimp my pumpkin...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I like the idea of never having to pull the hubs again! The last time i had mine off to pack the wheel bearings, i drilled out the housing & installed zerk fittings. Only thing there is you cant go overboard when you grease them. From what I understand, trucks years ago had the zerks in the same location, but was later blocked off. Matt, what chev. drums did you use?

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote: Wow. Pimp my pumpkin...
        Never heard that phrase before, Paul.

quote:Matt, what chev. drums did you use?
        Jerry Kaiser has 'developed' this setup, and that's where I got the idea.

I used 1976 1/2 Chevy truck rear drums. I had to have the Studebaker hubs 'turned' to fit the smooth drums, and install new studs. And when I put the new drums on the hubs, the drum hits the backing plate. I'm going to put a 5/16 wheel spacer between the hub and drum. (You may not have this problem.) Once I do that, I should be able to put the tires back on and put it on the ground.

Here's the site from Jerry.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Good progress Matthew! [^] She's (He?) starting to look like a real "Deluxe Scotsman".

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

I'm thinking that the truck is a girl, Mark. It's a 6 cylinder, and a V8 would be more fitting for a boy. And remember how jealous it got when I was lookin' at the girl in the school parking lot last year? Yep, it's gotta be a girl. [)]

I'm gonna add the Transtar trim. I know we've discussed it before, but maybe even White over Orange two tone. [:0]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
              I'm gonna add the Transtar trim. I know we've discussed it before, but maybe even White over Orange two tone. [:0]

Matthew Burnette
              Now that would be a great looking combo![^]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Matt, Your truck is looking good. Keep up the good work.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

Soon he'll have a custom leather interior and CD Changer LOL.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Gettin' there!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Good progress Matthew. Keep the pictures coming!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Matthew, if it's a girl, it can't be the Orange Pumpkin cuz pumpkins have 'stems'. It might have to be a canteloupe, maybe.

Knock, knock.
                        Who's there?
                        Canteloupe.
                        Canteloupe who?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

[)]Matthew, don't forget, if you go ahead with the two-tone, the upper color is Parchment and not refrigerator white.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                          http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'm sure I can get Parchment White without any trouble. [8D]

I got the rear tires back on, and sitting on the ground today. The front end is up on jack stands, awaiting disassembly. I would be pullin' it all apart if it wasn't raining. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I have to say it isn't fair that a 17 year old kid (as nice as he is) can restore and rebuild cars and trucks easier and faster than a middle aged guy with a full time job. I thought I was working so I could do these things. Instead I have to spend most my time and money on everything else and the young man is miles ahead of me. Life isn't fair. And then there all the retired guys that also have time (presumably), if not money and are also miles ahead of me and my projects. Something's just not right, here...
                              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                              X