PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Auction, Minden, Nebraska

56H-Y6
05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi
Found a tiny notice for this auction in Old Cars Weekly. A few Studebakers visible in the photos. I imagine they have a list available as well.

http://rhynaldsauction.com/albers.htm

Steve

Chris Pile
05-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, the motel in Minden at Pioneer Village is very nice if someone wants to stay overnight.

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

ST2DE5
05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
When I was there they had 14 Studebakers and 7 Packards. That is one of the neatest place I have been too. They have so many building full of cars upstairs and down stairs. And 2 big building full of old farm machinery. Some I have never seen before. The guy that started it was the inventor of plexaglass. When we were there we were driving the 51 Studebaker and there was people in the parking lot taking pictures of the 51. All of those old cars inside and they was admireing mine. Made me feel good.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/51stude/OzarkTtrailLogoSmall.jpg
7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Jeff T.
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
First off, any one planning on attending this sale?

I took some time to quickly scan throught the offerings at this auction and found that they had a 61 two door sedan and a 61 station wagon. There may have been other Studebakers but I was only looking for Larks:)

In the ultimate kick in the xxx, I was looking for a 61 Lark hood and there turned out to be one an hour or two west of me. I unfornunatly did not know this salvage yard existed until I saw the post for the sale:(

If I had the space, I could drag home the 2 dr. sedan and add to my collection of "i'll get to it someday cars"

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

JBOYLE
05-16-2008, 01:10 PM
If you go to Minden you have to visit Pioneer Village.
It showcases American technology.
Cars, airplanes (including some very rare ones..they have an example of the first US jet and military helicopter) all kinds of neat stuff.
They heped me with details on their Curtiss Jenny for a list on surviving WWI airplanes an acquaintance is putting together.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

MikeW
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I was just there last month and it is an interesting place. The experimental jet airplane they have was built in 1942. I had no idea that jets were being experimented with at that date. According to the sign this jet was obtained from Indiana. So Studebaker was not far from where the original jet was located. Huge collection of cars dating back to the 1890's. They did have several Studebakers but I only saw one Packard. Don't know what happened to the others.

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

JBOYLE
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by MikeW

I was just there last month and it is an interesting place. The experimental jet airplane they have was built in 1942. I had no idea that jets were being experimented with at that date.

Yes, you saw the Bell P-59, made in Buffalo, NY. I know of only 4 others in existence.
Actually, the U.S. was late with jets, we trailed the UK & Germany in that regard.
The Bell was ordered not as much to get a warfighter but rather to give the US some experience with jets. Bell was chosen for the job because it wasn't that busy with other planes (producying only the P-39 at that time) and it was known for "thinking outside the box" somethingthat might be useful in a plane powered by a new type of engine. (Interestingly, those same two factors later led it to produce helicopters for which the company is now famous).
It's engine was made by GE off an English design. In testing it didn't perform any better than the P-51 so it was not placed into full production.
Sixty-six were made and the next US jet fighter was the F-80 which had a long career as a fighter and as a two-seat trainer, the T-33.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State