Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan junk yard closing this weekend......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan junk yard closing this weekend......

Looks like a lot of Packards and '57 Chevies and a pile 'o Pontiacs. Only lists a lone Studebaker truck as part of the auction.

Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

OUCH! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Anybody wanna' bet that the cowl tag and Serial Number plate from that 1957 Bel Air convertible on the pile wind up on one of the new Dynacore 1957 Chevrolet convertibles?

It's my understanding that is where they are getting the tags necessary to register those "all-new" vehicles as 1957 Chevrolets...they must have 1957 cowls and tags onto which to build each "new" car. [:0]

Boy, I sure hate to see that 1956 Clipper Super hardtop in the group.[V] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is that an AMX in the upper right hand corner of the first photo?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wpsrea

Is that an AMX in the upper right hand corner of the first photo?
          [V] It would appear so... [8D]BP

Comment

Quite a collection! It's particularly sad to see this statement:

"Note: Due to high scrap prices there will be a $400 minimum bid per car or pickup."

Having an auction will be just wasting time, because virtually none of these will get an opening bid, while if they were allowed to start low several might go over the 4 bills and be saved[|)] I'm picturing standing there for hours as the auctioneer stands there droning on and on with no one bidding, car after car after car...[xx(] Why they wouldn't just do it the normal way with a reserve is beyond me[B)] Obviously it's about getting the most money out of everything, instead of getting them to people who want/need them...

Makes perfect sense to the financial side of me, just sad to the old car lover side...[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Greed...........................They are all watching tooooo many B/J Auctions.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Having an auction will be just wasting time, because virtually none of these will get an opening bid, while if they were allowed to start low several might go over the 4 bills and be saved[|)] I'm picturing standing there for hours as the auctioneer stands there droning on and on with no one bidding, car after car after car...[xx(] Why they wouldn't just do it the normal way with a reserve is beyond me[B)] Obviously it's about getting the most money out of everything, instead of getting them to people who want/need them...
                Actually, I think the way they are doing it is the way I would do it (if I were me [)]). Knowing you can get about $400 for each hulk. Why even waste the time starting at $50, working your way up to $325, calling it a no sale, and moving on to the next and doing the same. Talking about "droning on and on". [xx(]

It seems to me it would go a lot faster with the $400 minimum. If there isn't a $400 bid in 10 seconds, on to the next, etc. until you do get a bid on one.

"Makes perfect sense to the financial side of me, just sad to the old car lover side..."

I certainly agree with that! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Usually with a minimum, in this example it would start with the auctioneer giving a brief description of the vehicle followed by a little pitcher like "OK, there you go, good looking model there, very collectible" or "looks like lots of good parts on there, help yourselves guys" and starting the call with "Who's got a thousand to go real quick, thousand? How about $900 to start it off" and so on till it gets down to an opener; then up from there. In this case the same thing will happen, but will get down to the $400, with the auctioneer calling for the opening $400 for a while before giving up. The whole process, including moving to and from a vehicle, takes about 5 minutes EACH.

If it's going to take that much time and effort anyway, it makes sense to start it at "Who's got $50 to get it started?" because the bidding process stands a much better chance of getting to that $400; while almost every bidder is uncomfortable starting at a high number, which that will be on most everything pictured. They could stipulate at the beginning that anything below $400 will be a no sale; that combined with the low starter would be much more productive.

In any case, there will NEVER be any item that will only garner a 10 second effort- not even a $2 item. Any auctioneer that did that wouldn't get a second job[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                  X