PDA

View Full Version : Poor Little Lamb for sale on ebay (and insulted)

sals54
05-14-2008, 01:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-STUDEBAKER-LARK-DAYTONA-COUPE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ39405QQihZ023QQitemZ360052249466QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWDVW

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/1.jpg

So here's a poor little lamb for sale. Not only was the pitiful car abused in its life, now its getting more slaps in the face as it gets listed on ebay.
It's not even listed as the correct year.
The listing agent, or perhaps I should say the photographer does not even have 10 minutes to take some of the garbage out of the car before taking the pix.
There's still junk sitting in the engine compartment.
The shot of the stuff in the truck taken from the back seat.
And where are the whitewall tires? Everyone knows they help sell a car.! ! !

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

Mark57
05-14-2008, 01:21 AM
This guy has a "whack" of Studes for sale on eBay... I guess no time to make them more saleable!

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0099A.jpg

Thomas63R2
05-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Two things stand out:
1) Probably the most pictures of scrap I've seen in an eBay ad.
2) He truthfully lists it as being in terrible condition.

As to your complaint that he didn't spend any time tidying up the mess - are you nuts? No amount of dolling up will change the basics of that car - or get any more bidding action (not that any will happen unless a buyer is very local).

That car has been in the defacto crusher of nature for years, its removal will beautify the place where it has wasted for so long.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

avantilover
05-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Is something like this worth the money for the parts you could salvage? I mean the dashboard, Steering Wheel, some outside and inside trim and maybe some panels? Doors???

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

gordr
05-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Hmmph! Start price of $399 is the same as scrap value? They must pay an awful lot for scrap in Kansas. So much of it has rusted away, that by weight, it wouldn't likely fetch much more than a C-note.

I think I did a lot better with my white '64. Bolted on another important part tonight: the license plate. I'm going to drive it a bit.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

bams50
05-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Around here it would sell for about $250 for scrap![:0]

It seems that seller has bought or been given charge of an old junkyard somewhere, and thinks he's going to make a fortune selling the cars on eBay[xx(] Everything he's listed is similar condition with high opening bids...

Given a crack at that one I'd save the buckets/console, side trim, and window regulators at least. Oh yeah, and the license plate on the rear floor;)

Of course, if it was within say an hour's drive I'd go a couple hundred just to put it out back for parts

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

DEEPNHOCK
05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Around here it would sell for about $250 for scrap!

They are getting $350 for scrap cars here in the southeast...
I have seen all sorts of 'stuff' yanked out of sheds and bushes.
Saw a Mercedes that had a tree growing through it dragged off (without the stump or top 90% of the tree[:0])
Nothing would surprise me any more.
At least he spent $10 offering it up for parts.
One hit would pay for 30 listings, so it isn't that awful a deal for him to list.
But it is 'interesting' to see scrap cars get CASO assigned values.
(Must be some powerful sunglasses;))
Jeff[8D]

barnlark
05-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Scrap yards say China is buying every bit of chewed up steel and any kind of metal they can get their hands on. Cars like this are getting $300-$400 here, too. If people are so low these days as to rob homes of copper and the aluminum siding right off houses while the owners are at work, I'm thinking there won't be a junk car to be found anywhere pretty soon. Someone took apart huge aluminum bleachers at night from a local school and tried to scrap that across the border in West Virginia last summer, for crying out loud. We better get those parts while we can, folks..

BobGlasscock
05-14-2008, 08:35 AM
That same seller has at least 2 more Studes listed from the same estate sale. A grain truck with the cab floor filled with junk up to seat level and a flattened tire sticking out like a sore thumb. And a 50 Champion that I would almost go for just for the body parts and trim. No bumpers, though.

He's obviously just trying to clear the land for crops.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

DEEPNHOCK
05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Corn for Ethanol?, or a cover crop for PIK payments?
One way or another, it's probably a AG subsidy thing..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

&lt;snip&gt;
He's obviously just trying to clear the land for crops.

Chris Pile
05-14-2008, 09:26 AM
All the Studes currently listed by this seller are from the Marine Wolf estate, a former SDC life member.
Several other Studes from this estate have been sold, in fact the M-series truck has been on eBay before and not hit its reserve.

The cars are NOT in Pratt, they are in Derby, Kansas - just south of Wichita. If you need help, PM me.

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

torker
05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
That starting price may be scrap value of a car loaded & hauled across the scales, not one that is sitting in a field somewhere miles from the crusher. The seller did not take that into account when pricing it, I guess.

PackardV8
05-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Here, they want gas tank and tires removed, loaded, hauled across the scales and wait ten days for the check to be mailed to a verifiable driver's license address. Even with all the hassles, there is a line at the scales.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Roscomacaw
05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
That's sure a straight-lookin' M15 he's sellin'!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

bams50
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Here, they want gas tank and tires removed, loaded, hauled across the scales and wait ten days for the check to be mailed to a verifiable driver's license address. Even with all the hassles, there is a line at the scales.

Here in CNY, they come and get them, and take them with tires, gas tank, everything. My buddy had a few out where they weren't accessible with a rollback, so they brought a payloader and went after them. No muss, no fuss, and $300 for the average car! I wish I had a yard full of 'em!

But don't worry- anything from the 60s back is safe here, regardless of what scrap gets to;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Chris Pile
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Note this, guys!

The seller is not setting the prices, the executor is.
The stuff sat in the barn and the hedgerows for 30+ years waiting for the late owner to "restore" them.
He had no skills, no money, and no idea how to save these.
Give the seller a break, he's getting it from both sides.

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

Gordy911
05-14-2008, 06:42 PM
He told me I could fly in and drive home but tires need air.

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

Shawn
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
As far as cleaning them up. That is along the lines of you can polish a turd all you want, but in the end all you get is a shiny turd.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
58 Packard Golden Hawk
62 Hawk
62 Lark
63 Lark
64 Lark
63 Champ
Currently I own:
84 Mercedes 380SL
92 Range Rover (for sale)
99 BMW 323I
and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Chris Pile
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
quote:He told me I could fly in and drive home but tires need air.

There are Midway Chapter members nearby who would help you.
You needn't "go solo".

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special