PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Question.

Studebaker2JZ
10-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Long story short I have a totaled Totaled Toyota Supra Turbo (around 700 WHP), and a 1951 Studebaker Pickup (was sitting in a field for over 20 years) that I recieved as a graduation present from basic combat training, both of which on my hands doing nothing.

I'm determined to swap out the motors of my vehicle, from the stock (non-running)Inline 6 and transmission that came with the studebaker to the 2JZGTE and 6 speed manual transmission from my Supra. Well to make a long story short, what all are the dificulties that I'm facing? I've already swapped in a Mark Williams Dana 60 rear end, and now I'm looking to finish the project by installing the motor and transmission.

What all is there that I should be expecting? I've already had the body fixed (pannels replaced, rusted patches taken out, chopped the top 4 inches, leaded, and painted) the frame was also restored while the body was being fixed. I know that I might have to modify the Firewall to make the motor fit, and the Intercooler is going to be hard to install but thats ok. And if this helps any I'm a mechanic by trade for the Army so I know how to do alot of stuff on my own without having to pay someone to do it.

Any Suggestions are gladly welcomed.
Eric

1951 Studebaker Truck. 2JZGTE, 6 Speed, Dana 60.
Proud Soldier in the US ARMY.

DEEPNHOCK
10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
You should encounter the typical swap issues (not problems....challenges!)...
Engine and trans mounts.
Shift and throttle linkages.
Driveshaft adaptation and shortening/lengthening, plumbing (and in your case intercooler plumbing).
There is no book written on your swap, so have at it and discover as you go.
Sounds like a neat combination.
A high tech (by Stude standards) powerplant lugging around an overweight chassis and body.[:0]
Ought to be fun!
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker2JZ

Long story short I have a totaled Totaled Toyota Supra Turbo (around 700 WHP), and a 1951 Studebaker Pickup (was sitting in a field for over 20 years) that I recieved as a graduation present from basic combat training, both of which on my hands doing nothing.

I'm determined to swap out the motors of my vehicle, from the stock (non-running)Inline 6 and transmission that came with the studebaker to the 2JZGTE and 6 speed manual transmission from my Supra. Well to make a long story short, what all are the dificulties that I'm facing? I've already swapped in a Mark Williams Dana 60 rear end, and now I'm looking to finish the project by installing the motor and transmission.

What all is there that I should be expecting? I've already had the body fixed (pannels replaced, rusted patches taken out, chopped the top 4 inches, leaded, and painted) the frame was also restored while the body was being fixed. I know that I might have to modify the Firewall to make the motor fit, and the Intercooler is going to be hard to install but thats ok. And if this helps any I'm a mechanic by trade for the Army so I know how to do alot of stuff on my own without having to pay someone to do it.

Any Suggestions are gladly welcomed.
Eric

1951 Studebaker Truck. 2JZGTE, 6 Speed, Dana 60.
Proud Soldier in the US ARMY.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

CHAMP
10-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the forum Studebaker 23Z! Sounds like an interesting swap and it will definetly be different! I would take it one step at a time. First get the engine and trans. in then go from there. It would be nise if you have some friends to help. I wish you luck and thank God for our troops.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

studeclunker
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I hope you are good at welding. Please be aware that what you are about to do will cost quite a bit. Have you looked around for a donor engine for the Studebaker? I don't mean to be negative, just to see you have a positive experiance in what you're doing. Good luck.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Roscomacaw
10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
As Jeff says, YOU'LL be the expert on this swap from the moment you do the first trial fit.
Since the engine and truck are from two different worlds and eras, it'll be up to you to integrate them to where they'll serve you and hopefully live up to your expectations.
One thing the Stude has going for it is it's LARGE engine compartment. That'll be a plus as far as accomodating the *** powerplant.

Don't expect much specific advice from Studebaker folks since probably 80% of them go with the stock Studebaker powerplants and the balance (that go with alternative power) had to pretty much go it alone when they did their adaptations. There's no "This is how you repower a Studebaker" book out there. You'll be authoring the latest chapter!;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Jeff_H
10-23-2006, 02:40 PM
If your donor car is fuel injected, don't haul its remains off till you have everything working on the new installation. I put a computerized fuel injected drivetrain in my '53 and had bought a wrecked car for the donor. I pulled out the drivetrain and what I ~thought~ was all the relevant harness, etc. It was nearly 4 years from when I pulled the engine till it was running again in its new home. I kept the carcass in storage and went back to it a couple times to get "Stuff" that I missed that would have been annoying to try getting at a boneyard if I'd not kept the donor vehicle. Even then I made lots of trips to 'yards looking for little things I could use since it was definately a fully custom installation. Don't forget to keep a list of repair parts in your vehicle when done too. Eventually, you'll forget exactly ~what~ weird combo of things you used.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop