PDA

View Full Version : Studes in Tornado need help



bams50
05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
From the Swap Page:

Wanted 62 Lark & 64 Champ truck parts
Hi, we were recently hit by a tornado here in Missouri and are in need of some parts to restore 2 original car/truck. The Lark make it through with very little damage, however the truck didn't make out so well. Here what I'm look for at the moment:

1962 Lark wants:

Rear Passenger Tail Tight
Rear Passenger Door Handle
Rear Passenger Door trim

1946 Champ Truck:
Front Windshield
Rear Windshield
Passenger Window
Passenger Door
Cab or roof
possible more upon further examining.


Any information to a restoration company is greatly welcome.

Tony
keypad@hotmail.com

Neosho, Mo



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Avantidon
05-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Bob, thamks for posting. I personally don't have the parts he needs but I am sure there are many here who do.

DEEPNHOCK
05-14-2008, 06:40 AM
46 Champ?

lstude
05-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I think the numbers are transposed. 64 Champ.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

tony
05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Hello, I'm the one who post this message. Yes that was a type-o on the truck, it is a 64 champ. I don't know a lot about the Studebakers other than parts are hard to find and rare. I'm hoping to fix the truck and return it to my wife's uncle who drive both of them regularly.

mbstude
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Tony, welcome to the Forum.

Studebaker parts are quite plentiful, and most of the time more reasonable than other makes.

Check out www.studebakervendors.com for a list of folks who most likely have everything you'll need. [^]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar-9.jpg

Gary1953
05-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Tony,
Welcome to the forum. We have a very active Studebaker Drivers Club Chapter in SW Missouri. Myron McDonald in Aurora, MO is our resident Studebaker go to guy for parts and service. He has a shop one block west of the Ford dealer in Aurora. You can look up his number ( I don't think I should post it here) in the roster or make the short trip over to his shop. He may have your parts available. As Matthew says above check out the web site also.
You can contact me off forum direct for more details about the Ozark Trails Chapter host for the 2011 SDC International Meet.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/Picture008.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

rockne10
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Tony,

A lot of folks don't even know the Studebaker Drivers Club exists and, they are the ones who get taken to the cleaners anytime they need a repair. Most of the parts you list are readily available at very reasonable prices.

Relax, take a deep breath and tell us more.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

tony
05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Well the best way i know to explain it is to show some pictures:

Before clean up:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_2178.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2179.jpg

the uncovering of the car:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2314.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2316.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2317.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2337.jpg

Truck upright:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_2248.jpg

Truck loaded up on trail to come home to garage:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_2364.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_2365.jpg

Move picture http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/

I was told tonight that the Lark could be a 41 though a couple days ago I was told it was a 42? as you can see the car was the luckier one of the two.

barnlark
05-14-2008, 11:58 PM
You still have typos..The lark is a '61 and the hardest year to find of the tail light lenses at a good price. NOS pair will set you back more than most fenders cost for a pair anymore. If you can find the broken one and fix it with epoxy, you will be better off. If not, you may be able to sell those housings and the one good tail light lens for a set of '60 housings and tail light lenses. They can be swapped, but require drilling a different hole for the light plug on your car to adapt them.

Bams, can that cab be straightened? It looks rolled like your recent '61 acquisition, only a little worse.

bams50
05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Dang, Tony- Those pictures sure are hard to look at. Sorry about the storm; hope you're all OK.

Barnlark is right about the Lark; it is a 61, and the taillight lenses are rare and quite expensive. They are obtainable, but I also recommend converting to the 59-60 style. They will fit correctly with a re-drill, and are MUCH cheaper; both for now and in the event of future damage. The door handle is common and cheap.

As for the truck: That would have to be evaluated in person to be sure, but it should be able to get by with a roof replacement. An experienced body shop will jack that roof back to where it belongs before cutting it off and replacing. Shouldn't be too hard to find a rusty donor for a roof and glass. If the floors are reasonably solid, I'd replace the roof. If they're rusty, changing the entire cab may be the way to go. Again, you should be able to find a donor.

Keep us updated. We want to help you through the process of getting these Studes back on the road ASAP!



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
05-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Adding for the truck: The fenders look solid, and that damage is reasonably easy to straighten- and those fenders are somewhat hard to find, although there are fiberglas repros available if you prefer. In any case, don't throw them away!



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

jackb
05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
...does tornado insurance exist ?? I'd like to help with some of the parts....either with or without receipts.....I have the door glass (Straight) and a couple 1960 Lark tail lenses & bodies...

Avantidon
05-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Tony, glad to see that you got my e-mail and were able to find us. Know all of this was very traumatic to you and others. The members of this site are more than happy to help you find all that you need to repair these vehicles for your Uncle. Take Gary Sanders advice and look up some members of the local SDC Chapter and they will also be available to help you. Good luck and yes keep us informed on the progress you make.

tony
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

You still have typos..

Yah, I had a hard time try to find the edit button to go back edit that and was a little short on time.


quote:Originally posted by barnlark
The lark is a '61 and the hardest year to find of the tail light lenses at a good price. NOS pair will set you back more than most fenders cost for a pair anymore. If you can find the broken one and fix it with epoxy, you will be better off. If not, you may be able to sell those housings and the one good tail light lens for a set of '60 housings and tail light lenses. They can be swapped, but require drilling a different hole for the light plug on your car to adapt them.

I did fine the tail lense in 2 pieces along with the door handle off the rear passenger door. Not sure that it will go back on though, the mount in the door may need some work. everything is cover from what i know, will know more friday.



quote:Originally posted by bams50

Dang, Tony- Those pictures sure are hard to look at. Sorry about the storm; hope you're all OK.

Yah, it mays my stomach turn see the truck in the shape it's in. The Car was the lucker one and just has a few thing wrong with it.


quote:Originally posted by bams50
Barnlark is right about the Lark; it is a 61, and the taillight lenses are rare and quite expensive. They are obtainable, but I also recommend converting to the 59-60 style. They will fit correctly with a re-drill, and are MUCH cheaper; both for now and in the event of future damage. The door handle is common and cheap.

As for the truck: That would have to be evaluated in person to be sure, but it should be able to get by with a roof replacement. An experienced body shop will jack that roof back to where it belongs before cutting it off and replacing. Shouldn't be too hard to find a rusty donor for a roof and glass. If the floors are reasonably solid, I'd replace the roof. If they're rusty, changing the entire cab may be the way to go. Again, you should be able to find a donor.

Keep us updated. We want to help you through the process of getting these Studes back on the road ASAP!

Thats what i figure on the truck. From what i saw sunday, the bottom end (frame & floor plans) of the truck looks solid for an everyday work truck. Finding a donor cab is going to be the hard part, i think.

The owner (wife's uncle)kept good care of the 2 vehicles. A local newspaper did a story a few years ago on him and the 2 cars. If i remember i see if i get a picture of it. if I'm not mistake that it the original factory paint job on the both.


quote:Originally posted by bams50
Adding for the truck: The fenders look solid, and that damage is reasonably easy to straighten- and those fenders are somewhat hard to find, although there are fiberglas repros available if you prefer. In any case, don't throw them away!


Thats what i figured too, a good body man could hammer the fend back into shape. The goal for me is to try and fix them both back to condition before the storm and return them to the owner for him to enjoy for what f

bams50
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I doubt you'll have too hard of a time finding a rusted out Champ that can donate it's roof and glass... anybody on the forum have, or know of, one?



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

arkiejazz
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
[:o)]I have a '61 Champ which is without engine or trans, but otherwise complete Arizona truck. Fairly straight and little rust. I'd take $600 for the whole thing. Come to Amarillo,Tx. and pick it up.[:o)](no,it isn't one of the ones below).

steve blake
http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010078-200x104.jpghttp://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010009-225x107.jpg

arkiejazz
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
[:o)]Hey Tony, I sent some pictures of the Champ to your email. Let me know if you get them.[:o)]

steve blake
http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010078-200x104.jpghttp://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010009-225x107.jpg

tony
05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
arkiejazz, Thank you, I have recieved them.

I do have some questions for those who know the answer:

Would the motor be ok if it where upside down and then right side up? meaning would this cause any issue in the head or with the pistons. What's the trick to popping the hood? tried to today to see how engine compartment is.

The '61 Lark will be going in for repairs. However the truck is in the air depending on insurance agent. Didn't seem to promising but hopefully there be some good news.

tony
05-16-2008, 10:06 PM
oh one more question, Can someone tell me what the factory color name is on the lark? That is the original factory paint job in the pictures for both vehicles. I was told it's supposed to be black but could be midnight blue?

bams50
05-17-2008, 05:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by tony

Would the motor be ok if it where upside down and then right side up? meaning would this cause any issue in the head or with the pistons.

I assume the engine was not running when it went over; so no, won't hurt it a bit. Might be a good idea to pull the plugs and spin it over to assure tha there's no big amount of oil in the cylinders, but other than that it'll be fine. It may smoke quite a bit for a while when it's first started. Be sure the oil is full.


quote:What's the trick to popping the hood? tried to today to see how engine compartment is.

Never had a Champ, but I believe they have an inside release like the cars.



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Warren Webb
05-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Tony, to open the hood on the Champ, behind the center of the grille, reach in the top opening & you'll find a rod hanging down. Push that over to the passengers side (i believe- mine is 65 miles away from me now to double check) & the hood should pop open. The Champ's dont have a hood release cable as do most other Studebakers.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

bams50
05-17-2008, 06:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by tony

However the truck is in the air depending on insurance agent. Didn't seem to promising

I'm surprised to hear there's any insurance on these (other than basic liability). I just assumed there was no insurance.

That being the case, the truck is still worth saving! That truck Steve offered is probably just what you need. If insurance pays, they take the vehicle to be sold for salvage. However, they will sell it back for a set price, to be deducted from the amount they pay, usually just a couple hundred! It saves them having to have it hauled to a salvage sale lot, paying the auction fees, and a ton of paperwork; so they're VERY motivated to leave it where it is[^]

Don't let it get away; let's get it back in service! [8D]



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

tony
05-17-2008, 09:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Tony, to open the hood on the Champ, behind the center of the grille, reach in the top opening & you'll find a rod hanging down. Push that over to the passengers side (i believe- mine is 65 miles away from me now to double check) & the hood should pop open. The Champ's dont have a hood release cable as do most other Studebakers.


Thats what i thought. I tried it yesterday and couldn't get it to go, but then again i was being gentle with. I try again today and see if i get this puppy up and running by tomorrow may. Have to finish the honey do list first:D then I can go play.

tony
05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50


quote:Originally posted by tony

However the truck is in the air depending on insurance agent. Didn't seem to promising

I'm surprised to hear there's any insurance on these (other than basic liability). I just assumed there was no insurance.

That being the case, the truck is still worth saving! That truck Steve offered is probably just what you need. If insurance pays, they take the vehicle to be sold for salvage. However, they will sell it back for a set price, to be deducted from the amount they pay, usually just a couple hundred! It saves them having to have it hauled to a salvage sale lot, paying the auction fees, and a ton of paperwork; so they're VERY motivated to leave it where it is[^]

Don't let it get away; let's get it back in service! [8D]


Yah, that was the impression I got from the agent. Now we're have to wait for him to do his paperwork and see what the rest of the family decides to do. If it's decided to let it go, i'm hoping to find a new home for it where it can restore or made use of.

question, if it is total wont the title be change to a salvage title?

8E45E
05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by tony


quote:Originally posted by bams50


quote:Originally posted by tony

However the truck is in the air depending on insurance agent. Didn't seem to promising

I'm surprised to hear there's any insurance on these (other than basic liability). I just assumed there was no insurance.

That being the case, the truck is still worth saving! That truck Steve offered is probably just what you need. If insurance pays, they take the vehicle to be sold for salvage. However, they will sell it back for a set price, to be deducted from the amount they pay, usually just a couple hundred! It saves them having to have it hauled to a salvage sale lot, paying the auction fees, and a ton of paperwork; so they're VERY motivated to leave it where it is[^]

Don't let it get away; let's get it back in service! [8D]


Yah, that was the impression I got from the agent. Now we're have to wait for him to do his paperwork and see what the rest of the family decides to do. If it's decided to let it go, i'm hoping to find a new home for it where it can restore or made use of.

question, if it is total wont the title be change to a salvage title?



Don't forget..your state's Disaster Relief Services may offer some financial assistance as well.

Craig

bams50
05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by tony



question, if it is total wont the title be change to a salvage title?



Depends on the state; possibly. But it may not apply to a vehicle that old... and even if it does, it doesn't make a difference- it can be converted back.



Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Boogs
05-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, that hurts to look at. Hope everyone is okay. Good luck with your search.

tony
05-17-2008, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by glen

Tony,

To answer your question about the paint color: the "Auto Color Library"
and Ditzler Paints says it's: "Velvet Black" with the paint code as P6210.
Unfortunately there is no color chip, for that color, on the site:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1962-studebaker-pg01.jpg

Hope this helps.....

glen


Thanks Glen, that does help.

arkiejazz
05-17-2008, 08:41 PM
[:o)]Tony, I sent the pictures you asked for. It doesn't matter to me if you buy the Champ or not, as I'm offering it to you for less than I have in it. I would, however, like to know whether you got the pictures ok.[:o)]

steve blake
http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010078-200x104.jpghttp://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/arkiejazz/thumbnails/p1010009-225x107.jpg

tony
05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Update Champ status:

Ok, Last night i was able to pop the hood (it was jammed). Took the spark plugs out and found oil on them. Clean them up and then remove what looks like a air hat for the carb? if i'm not mistaken, there shouldn't be any oil in this correct?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_1757.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_1758.jpg
(we found a third piece to this tail like yesterday, but the mounting hole is where is broke off on the car.)

Motor Picture:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_1759.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_1760.jpg

Since i'm this far along, is starting the truck anything like today's vehicle? meaning do i need to the cab to start or can i just reach in and turn the key? whats the shift position for the colum shift? hate to take out a car or put a hole in the garage.:)

Update Lark status:

ok the lark, i know there is a discussion about tail lights so i have a few picture for this 61 Lark. Also have a question about trim amd marking on the rear of the car.

tail light(driver side, notice it has a hole in it)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1729.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1733.jpg

Rear View:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1730.jpg

Up close drive side:
What's supposed to be between the tail light and plate? I see hole for mounting something.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1747.jpg

Passenger Side:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1731.jpg

Passenger Door & Door Handle:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1736.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_1735.jpg

Front Fender:
Missing the VI emblem (actually the V is stuck behind the lark but is no usable)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/IMG_2325.jpg

I've upload more picture for those interest.
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20before/
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/

rockne10
05-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Converting a salvage title can be done but it's a hassle you don't need. If you want to keep the truck and the insurance company wants to total it, negotiate.

Velvet Black is black. That's why there is no color chip for it; no pearl, no glitter. Black is black.

You have an oil bath air filter. Yes, there should be oil in it. There is probably a fill mark in the lower holding pan.

tony
05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Converting a salvage title can be done but it's a hassle you don't need. If you want to keep the truck and the insurance company wants to total it, negotiate.

interesting, i will keep that in mind.


quote:Originally posted by rockne10
Velvet Black is black. That's why there is no color chip for it; no pearl, no glitter. Black is black.

Figures, at least one car manufacture can keep it simple.


quote:Originally posted by rockne10
You have an oil bath air filter. Yes, there should be oil in it. There is probably a fill mark in the lower holding pan.


Cool, Did not know that. was going to poor it out but figure i better check.

Thanks rockne10.

wolfie
05-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Your shift pattern is a basic H-pattern.Same as a floor shift just moved to the column.First gear will be toward the driver and down,second toward the dash and up,third toward the dash and down,reverse toward the driver and up.Nuetral will be in the center and you should be able to discern it by the free travel front to rear.You can double check by manually moving the truck back and forth and assuring the drivetrain is disengaged.And yes you should be able to start the truck by reaching in.Steve

tony
05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
ok, new question: Is the model number 8E5-122 or just 8E5?

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/Champ%20Truck/IMG_1765.jpg

Update on the Champ, Motor will spin but not fire. have to do some more checking.

Just wondering, did they come with electric fuel pumps? just find it odd to see one on this truck may have been something added later.

mbstude
05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
The model is 8E5-122. All that says, is that it's a '64 Champ with a 122 inch wheelbase.

An electric fuel pump is not stock.

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/trucks_SNM3.jpg

Roscomacaw
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
C'mon Matthew. You know better. [:I] 8E says it's a 64. The "5" says it came with the OHV 6cylinder. And as you noted, the 22 is shorthand for the truck's 122" wheelbase.;)

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Roscomacaw
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I've got a USEABLE TL lens for this Lark. For postage costs I'd donate it.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

tony
05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
ok got another question, Firing order? just want to make sure i did put the wires back on correctly. I have a little more work to do for tomorrow.

wolfie
05-19-2008, 10:37 PM
With the truck being upside down I would check the points and distributor cap and make sure they arent soaked in oil.I would not really expect the seal to hold back the oil with the engine upside down for a day or two.I assume you have pulled all the plugs and spun the engine without them installed to disperse any oil that may have infiltrated there.Also that you either cleaned or replaced the plugs and actually have no fire.You can check power through that circuit by removing the distributor cap and holding the coil wire near a good safe ground then opening and closing the points with the switch on.You should get a good spark each time the points are opened.If anything is oil soaked it must be clean and dry to function properly. Steve

barnlark
05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Tony, I'll try to fill in some of the above unanswered questions.
The Lark...The "holes" you mentioned are for the most important trim piece..the Studebaker emblem! Easily found with any vendor cheaply. It may even have a few more holes back there for a TT emblem, which is the Twin Traction insignia (posi rear end to the rest of the world.) That tail light lens is probably roached. You may be able to epoxy it, but only until you get proper ones back on. They both are damaged, so a new pair are in order. The '60 set is a good offer, take it, unless you really can afford a set of real '61 lenses. There is one good one offered on the forum now, so that's 50% back to normal stock for you.
The truck...the plug wire positioning should be fine unless you took them off during all of this. As usual, wrong wire placement will seem close to firing, but will instead eventually create real fire...as in too much gas and a back fire in the face. You know that, so good luck. That oil bath air filter cleaner should have had lots of dust in that oil cup if it was working correctly. Of course being upside down may have cleaned it nicely for you. Can't wait to see the end of this saga and hopefully the nearby club members will help with it all. Best of luck.

tony
05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by wolfie

With the truck being upside down I would check the points and distributor cap and make sure they arent soaked in oil.I would not really expect the seal to hold back the oil with the engine upside down for a day or two.I assume you have pulled all the plugs and spun the engine without them installed to disperse any oil that may have infiltrated there.Also that you either cleaned or replaced the plugs and actually have no fire.You can check power through that circuit by removing the distributor cap and holding the coil wire near a good safe ground then opening and closing the points with the switch on.You should get a good spark each time the points are opened.If anything is oil soaked it must be clean and dry to function properly. Steve


I did pull the plugs and wipe them off and they sat for a day. (the truck has been upright for a week now. It was upside down for less than 24 hrs) I was give a key to the truck but it didn't work. Got the right one today, turn the motor a couple of times and then re-installed them. Made a few phone calls to a guy who does our race car motors. figure tomorrow i'll pull the plugs again and clean them with card cleaner. I'li check the distributor cap while i'm at it, didn't think of that. There is a lot of difference between this studes & my SBC.

I question the firing order just because #3 & #4 are close together. When i pulled them i laid them in order and close to their spot.

tony
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Tony, I'll try to fill in some of the above unanswered questions.
The Lark...The "holes" you mentioned are for the most important trim piece..the Studebaker emblem! Easily found with any vendor cheaply. It may even have a few more holes back there for a TT emblem, which is the Twin Traction insignia (posi rear end to the rest of the world.) That tail light lens is probably roached. You may be able to epoxy it, but only until you get proper ones back on. They both are damaged, so a new pair are in order. The '60 set is a good offer, take it, unless you really can afford a set of real '61 lenses. There is one good one offered on the forum now, so that's 50% back to normal stock for you.
The truck...the plug wire positioning should be fine unless you took them off during all of this. As usual, wrong wire placement will seem close to firing, but will instead eventually create real fire...as in too much gas and a back fire in the face. You know that, so good luck. That oil bath air filter cleaner should have had lots of dust in that oil cup if it was working correctly. Of course being upside down may have cleaned it nicely for you. Can't wait to see the end of this saga and hopefully the nearby club members will help with it all. Best of luck.


Thanks for filling in the questions i have, that does help. May do some hunting later when i go back to uncle's house, see if it's not laying in the grass. we found another piece of the tail light so who know. hoping to hear something soon on the lark so i can start gathering parts.

I do know uncle drove it to church yesterday since it's the only vehicle he has at the moment. his cobalt has been totaled and of course the truck is with us. only piece of advise i can give is move somewhere where there is no tornado's or have a real good insurance policies.

Many thanks to everyone who replied here or by email. :D

barnlark
05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Could have happened to any of us, Tony. Well, at least back here east of the rockies. I've lived through earthquakes in California and tornadoes here. I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes if we're rolling the dice and not directly in the center of either, but not much of a choice.
Hope we helped a little. Nasty luck for two Studes that lasted a long time over seriously bad odds just from the scrap yards all those years. Good luck.

tony
05-22-2008, 10:05 PM
another update:

Well I've been busy with work and did find some time to check the champ's distributor. It's dry, no oil inside, however i do suspect the distributor. No spark at the plugs. Figure it has to do something with points. Steve, the coil works fine. Also I did notice coolant in the #5 cylinder that i missed the first time around so i finished clearing the cylinder.

Mark57
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

C'mon Matthew. You know better. [:I] 8E says it's a 64. The "5" says it came with the OHV 6cylinder. And as you noted, the 22 is shorthand for the truck's 122" wheelbase.;)

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.


Mr. Biggs, rare that I could catch you up...[}:)];) 8E could be a '63 or a '64 - only the serial number will tell you for sure.[^]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0099A.jpg

wolfie
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Tony,clean your points with sandpaper or even a matchbook.I was able to buy replacements for my 53 at Oreillys for a couple bucks.You said the coil was good so I assume everything powered up as it should have.If the coil fired when the points were opened there are actually very few options to prevent it from firing the plugs,points not contacting or breaking,coil wire breaking down,condensor grounded,rotor button or distributor cap failing.They are listed pretty close to the order of probability.I would clean or replace the points then have someone turn the truck over while I watched the points(you can do it yourself with a jumper wire from the pos side of the battery to the switch terminal on the solinoid).You should see a light spark between the contacts as the engine turns over.These are really simple systems and pretty forgiving.Good luck,Steve

tony
06-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Here an update since it's been a while:

The champ truck has a new home in George as of this weekend. A family member has taken the truck in and pick up a parts truck off of ebay. But i have a feeling the parts truck is too far gone. I did past on the info i have collect to this family member.

As for the Lark, Last i heard it's in the body shop getting fixed up.

Many Thanks to all of you for your help.

tony
06-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Here an update since it's been a while:

The champ truck has a new home in George as of this weekend. A family member has taken the truck in and pick up a parts truck off of ebay. But i have a feeling the parts truck is too far gone. I did past on the info i have collect to this family member.

As for the Lark, Last i heard it's in the body shop getting fixed up.

Many Thanks to all of you for your help.

doug
06-23-2008, 01:49 AM
I may have missed some comments, but '59-'60 4-door lark doors, glass, fenders are a direct interchange on the pickup.

tony
09-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Greeting to All,

I thought I would drop in and let you all know that the Lark has made it home.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20After/IMG_1987.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20After/IMG_1983.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20After/IMG_1984.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20After/IMG_1985.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/61%20Lark%20After/IMG_1986.jpg

The sad news, the owner passed away last month. After the tornado, his health kinda went down hill.

As you can see from the picture the car is for sell, if anyone is interested in it feel free to message me for contact info. My Father-n-law is the person you will be talking to.

Mark57
09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Tony, Did the Champ ever get fixed up?[?]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

tony
09-07-2008, 12:04 AM
From what i know it's in George with another relative. Did get to talk to the this relative and he says he working on it with some buddies. Said the motor suffered some damage, something about the head was leaking fluid. He's planing to cut the top off the donor truck from Kansas and put it on this one.