X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes in Tornado need help

From the Swap Page:

Wanted 62 Lark & 64 Champ truck parts
    Hi, we were recently hit by a tornado here in Missouri and are in need of some parts to restore 2 original car/truck. The Lark make it through with very little damage, however the truck didn't make out so well. Here what I'm look for at the moment:

1962 Lark wants:

Rear Passenger Tail Tight
    Rear Passenger Door Handle
    Rear Passenger Door trim

1946 Champ Truck:
    Front Windshield
    Rear Windshield
    Passenger Window
    Passenger Door
    Cab or roof
    possible more upon further examining.

Any information to a restoration company is greatly welcome.

Tony
    keypad@hotmail.com

Neosho, Mo

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Bob, thamks for posting. I personally don't have the parts he needs but I am sure there are many here who do.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

46 Champ?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think the numbers are transposed. 64 Champ.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Hello, I'm the one who post this message. Yes that was a type-o on the truck, it is a 64 champ. I don't know a lot about the Studebakers other than parts are hard to find and rare. I'm hoping to fix the truck and return it to my wife's uncle who drive both of them regularly.

Comment

Hi Tony, welcome to the Forum.

Studebaker parts are quite plentiful, and most of the time more reasonable than other makes.

Check out www.studebakervendors.com for a list of folks who most likely have everything you'll need. [^]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Tony,
              Welcome to the forum. We have a very active Studebaker Drivers Club Chapter in SW Missouri. Myron McDonald in Aurora, MO is our resident Studebaker go to guy for parts and service. He has a shop one block west of the Ford dealer in Aurora. You can look up his number ( I don't think I should post it here) in the roster or make the short trip over to his shop. He may have your parts available. As Matthew says above check out the web site also.
              You can contact me off forum direct for more details about the Ozark Trails Chapter host for the 2011 SDC International Meet.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Tony,

A lot of folks don't even know the Studebaker Drivers Club exists and, they are the ones who get taken to the cleaners anytime they need a repair. Most of the parts you list are readily available at very reasonable prices.

Relax, take a deep breath and tell us more.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well the best way i know to explain it is to show some pictures:

Before clean up:

the uncovering of the car:

Truck upright:

Truck loaded up on trail to come home to garage:

Move picture http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/ts_4s/

I was told tonight that the Lark could be a 41 though a couple days ago I was told it was a 42? as you can see the car was the luckier one of the two.

Comment

You still have typos..The lark is a '61 and the hardest year to find of the tail light lenses at a good price. NOS pair will set you back more than most fenders cost for a pair anymore. If you can find the broken one and fix it with epoxy, you will be better off. If not, you may be able to sell those housings and the one good tail light lens for a set of '60 housings and tail light lenses. They can be swapped, but require drilling a different hole for the light plug on your car to adapt them.

Bams, can that cab be straightened? It looks rolled like your recent '61 acquisition, only a little worse.

Comment

Dang, Tony- Those pictures sure are hard to look at. Sorry about the storm; hope you're all OK.

Barnlark is right about the Lark; it is a 61, and the taillight lenses are rare and quite expensive. They are obtainable, but I also recommend converting to the 59-60 style. They will fit correctly with a re-drill, and are MUCH cheaper; both for now and in the event of future damage. The door handle is common and cheap.

As for the truck: That would have to be evaluated in person to be sure, but it should be able to get by with a roof replacement. An experienced body shop will jack that roof back to where it belongs before cutting it off and replacing. Shouldn't be too hard to find a rusty donor for a roof and glass. If the floors are reasonably solid, I'd replace the roof. If they're rusty, changing the entire cab may be the way to go. Again, you should be able to find a donor.

Keep us updated. We want to help you through the process of getting these Studes back on the road ASAP!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Adding for the truck: The fenders look solid, and that damage is reasonably easy to straighten- and those fenders are somewhat hard to find, although there are fiberglas repros available if you prefer. In any case, don't throw them away!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

...does tornado insurance exist ?? I'd like to help with some of the parts....either with or without receipts.....I have the door glass (Straight) and a couple 1960 Lark tail lenses & bodies...

Comment

Tony, glad to see that you got my e-mail and were able to find us. Know all of this was very traumatic to you and others. The members of this site are more than happy to help you find all that you need to repair these vehicles for your Uncle. Take Gary Sanders advice and look up some members of the local SDC Chapter and they will also be available to help you. Good luck and yes keep us informed on the progress you make.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

You still have typos..
                              Yah, I had a hard time try to find the edit button to go back edit that and was a little short on time.

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                              The lark is a '61 and the hardest year to find of the tail light lenses at a good price. NOS pair will set you back more than most fenders cost for a pair anymore. If you can find the broken one and fix it with epoxy, you will be better off. If not, you may be able to sell those housings and the one good tail light lens for a set of '60 housings and tail light lenses. They can be swapped, but require drilling a different hole for the light plug on your car to adapt them.
                              I did fine the tail lense in 2 pieces along with the door handle off the rear passenger door. Not sure that it will go back on though, the mount in the door may need some work. everything is cover from what i know, will know more friday.

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Dang, Tony- Those pictures sure are hard to look at. Sorry about the storm; hope you're all OK.
                              Yah, it mays my stomach turn see the truck in the shape it's in. The Car was the lucker one and just has a few thing wrong with it.

Barnlark is right about the Lark; it is a 61, and the taillight lenses are rare and quite expensive. They are obtainable, but I also recommend converting to the 59-60 style. They will fit correctly with a re-drill, and are MUCH cheaper; both for now and in the event of future damage. The door handle is common and cheap.

As for the truck: That would have to be evaluated in person to be sure, but it should be able to get by with a roof replacement. An experienced body shop will jack that roof back to where it belongs before cutting it off and replacing. Shouldn't be too hard to find a rusty donor for a roof and glass. If the floors are reasonably solid, I'd replace the roof. If they're rusty, changing the entire cab may be the way to go. Again, you should be able to find a donor.

Keep us updated. We want to help you through the process of getting these Studes back on the road ASAP!
                              Thats what i figure on the truck. From what i saw sunday, the bottom end (frame & floor plans) of the truck looks solid for an everyday work truck. Finding a donor cab is going to be the hard part, i think.

The owner (wife's uncle)kept good care of the 2 vehicles. A local newspaper did a story a few years ago on him and the 2 cars. If i remember i see if i get a picture of it. if I'm not mistake that it the original factory paint job on the both.

Adding for the truck: The fenders look solid, and that damage is reasonably easy to straighten- and those fenders are somewhat hard to find, although there are fiberglas repros available if you prefer. In any case, don't throw them away!

Thats what i figured too, a good body man could hammer the fend back into shape. The goal for me is to try and fix them both back to condition before the storm and return them to the owner for him to enjoy for what f

Comment

Working...
                              X