PDA

View Full Version : Story of an r2 Wagonaire

bams50
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I bought my CO Daytona body from Brad Daugherty in MI. When I was out there I saw this old derelict wagon. I've been dreaming about Biggs' 4-spd. Wagonaire, and called Brad about the corpse in his backyard.

When I was there I took a look at it and noticed the oval on the fender where an emblem had been. Turns out the car had an interesting story:

A local guy he knew had a junkyard he was getting ready to clean out a couple years ago. He went to look around because he wanted a Stude V8 for a car he was working on. He walked around opening hoods and looking when he came to this car:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/Skytoptrip005.jpg

He peeked in and saw it was a stick, so he opened the hood... and was shocked to find an r2, absolutely complete! He asked the owner who didn't think much of it and sold it for a song![:p]

After he got it home, it turned out to be a full-package r2 car! So he went to work researching it, thinking he might have found one of 2 or 3 r2 wagons... His research revealed an interesting history; turns out the car was built in TX from the drivetrain of an r2 Hawk, and all the package stuff was added to complete the car. The trans. was a 3 O/D. Shortly after the car was built the owner was shot and killed. From there the car made it's way to MI where it became a Fire Chief's car, and was used for high-speed runs to emergency scenes. Eventually it ended up in the junkyard, where Brad found it.

Brad has the engine out and set aside for a 60 Hawk he's got. The rest of the package stuff he's keeping; already tried to buy it. The body is a fixed roof car, and is pretty well shot.

Who knows what other goodies are out there, just waiting to be discovered?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

sals54
05-13-2008, 01:39 AM
That is an awesome find. I love hearing these stories. I will have my 64 Commander Wagonaire out of the barn in a week or so. I'll post pix. It was a great find too. I can't wait to tell the story. It needs pix to make it great, though.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

Avantidon
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Thee cars are out there. Just had a friend call me about one sitting in shed when he went to buy logs. Doesn't know much about it but we sure are going to find out. He says it's worth saving if it can be bought.[8D]

62champ
05-13-2008, 01:40 PM
My Uncle always told the story of having the chance to buy a '63 Wagonaire with the R2 and 4 speed in it. I think this might have been in 1965 or 1966 - I will have to ask dad next time I talk to him.

The car was at the Studebaker dealership in Bryan/College Station. Dealer employee knew my uncle and dad and knew they liked fast Studebakers. He drove the car to my Uncles home (60 miles one way) to show it to him and have him drive it.

My Uncle said it was pretty impressive and it just had the 4 spd rebuilt in it. Problem is, neither my dad or uncle had the $1500 to purchase the car...[V] Wonder if this was that same car?

Oh well, he just stuck with the '60 Champ with the 289 circle track motor in it.

*Edit* Doh - could not see the picture when I wrote the above - would not have been the same car...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
[img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

nels
05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
There were 16 or 17 R powered wagons built in 64. Only one was an R2 and it was automatic. One R1 4spd was built.

monomaniac
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I had a 63 Wagonaire years ago with factory R1, automatic, air, electric rear window, PDB, PS, TT, compass. That was a great car. With the low center of gravity (sliding roof with extra crossmember) it handled in snow better than most vehicles. And what a sleeper -- nobody touched it between 50 and 80 miles per hour.
I was always getting teased at work for driving Studebakers. There was this guy with a Chevy truck who needed a ride one day to pick up his vehicle from a local repair shop. I gave him a lift. He never teased me again.

bams50
05-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Sounds great, Art. I'm trying to buy a local r1 for my Wagonaire, because I thought it would be a cool combo. You can bet, if I can buy it, the Forum will hear about it in short order!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

studegary
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I had worked on a similar Wagonaire to Art's that a guy in Cold Spring, NY bought new. He lived in Cold Spring and his business was in Manhattan (NY,NY). I don't remember where he purchased the car. His Daytona Wagonaire was a 1963 (sliding roof) Wagonaire with R1, A/C, AT, buckets and more. At the time, I also had a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire with 289, AT, ps, pdb, TT, air shocks, buckets, StaBars and more.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer