Stude Makes Most Affordable Collector Car List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Makes Most Affordable Collector Car List

Can you guess which one? It is #10 on the list.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

I agree with most of the picks...
    but even if they were free (which they almost are...)
    Why would anyone want a Jensen-Healey?
    When I was in high school a doctor who lived across the street bought one. Went through an engine in the first year.

Same with The Shelby Dodges. When I was in the AF one of the airmen who worked for me had a blue w/silver trim fastback.
    We were wondering what was odd about it, it just didn't look right. Finally he noticed it. His front spoiler was for a silver car with blue trim. All the stripes were reversed.
    Somebody at the factory (and the dealership) wasn't paying attention.

And the Riveria is a neat car...but I wonder about the "affordability" for a nice 63-65 car.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

How about the 64 Daytona convertible? Maybe they aren't as affordable, although I sold mine at a reasonable price IMO.

I am always shocked at the low prices of 70s-80s Corvettes. There was an 85 at Carlisle that looked decent for $6,000

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
        I am always shocked at the low prices of 70s-80s Corvettes. There was an 85 at Carlisle that looked decent for $6,000
        Unless you're a fairly big-time collector you buy a car to drive.
        Who wants a 23 year old car what was probably thrashed by X-many previous owners? And some parts are very expensive.
        (At least with my Avanti I was fairly sure it wasn't beat from day one).
        The 84 and 85 'vettes weren't known for their build or engineering quality. And late 70's 'vetts had underperforming smog-strangled engines...and the 80-82 cars were silly disco-era caricatures of what was a good looking car in 1968.
        IMHO...
        Now, I wouldn't mind a late 80s-early 90s convertible...or a nice 63-67 Stingray.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My wife's ex-husband has a 63 split window Stingray in very good shape sitting in his garage gathering dust. Supposed to have been a 21st birthday gift to my stepdaughter but he won't let it go. Makes me sick to think of that great car going to waste.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I was concerned about the value of my 63 Daytona convert, it went for less then I expected, but better then a loss. I agree that they are very affordable convertibles and seem to be going cheaper recently. I suspect high gas prices and a soft economy might finally be having a effect.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Within 2 blocks of my house out here in the country, there was a 68 Shelby Mustang Fastback on the side of a barn, (not for sale). And a 63 Corvette split window under a guys patio with boxes stacked on it. (also not for sale). They sat for years and are now both gone. Maybe I should have been more persistent????

sals54
              sals54

Comment

I have been selling off a few parts for a long time Stude collector (who I sold my '63 Daytona to in 1976 for $60.00. [:0]) He has a '64 R2 Avanti that has been sitting in his garage for years. It has so much stuff inside you could not get in it (if you could even get the doors open ). It has a car cover on it and 3 layers of stuff on top of that. Who knows when it will ever run again (or when my will either).

I wonder what price makes the AMX "affordable"?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

The Jensen Healy was a good idea, with very poor quality control. I drove a very early one once and was impressed with its performance.

The Shelby Omni's are still used as autocross cars by many folks. Maybe the fastbacks were not as good as the four door version in the picture. It was fairly quick and competed on the track quite well with the VW Rabbit.

I would love to have a Hudson Jet. I'm glad to see it is considered affordable as the last one I saw was pretty high dollar and I have not seen one for many years.

I love the look of that era of Riveria but like was mentioned earlier I am not sure how affordable a good one would really be. The Javelin/AMX would be another car I would love to have.

The two I really have questions about are the Grand Prix and the Olds/Buick wagon.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

John, do you mind if I ask what the red '63 convertible went for? A beautiful, authentic-looking Lark convertible, for sure! You can email me if you'd rather...or not.

Thanks,
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I was concerned about the value of my 63 Daytona convert, it went for less then I expected, but better then a loss. I agree that they are very affordable convertibles and seem to be going cheaper recently. I suspect high gas prices and a soft economy might finally be having a effect.

JDP/Maryland
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:...and the 80-82 cars were silly disco-era caricatures of what was a good looking car in 1968.
                      I like the '82s... but having ridden in one, I realize why they look better parked than moving. Talk about being beat to death in a car.

Comment

Affordable is what brought me to Studes; that and the idea of the endless number of Big 3 cars seen at any show. All the cars I grew up with and owned and know so well have gotten to stupid prices[B)] As much as I love old cars, I'm interested in plenty of other things- like traveling with my family. No way I have any interest in sticking $30K in one car I'm afraid to drive- or that others can't feel comfortable looking at, riding in, or driving....

I'll glance at the Camaros, Vettes, and Hemi Cudas at the shows, yawn and keep on walkin' in my quest to find another Stude[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I would disagree with one "affordable" pick in this group: Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser wagons in good shape (they are serious rusters), easily command over $10,000 these days.

Studedude1961

Comment

The 63 convertible sold for $14,302, but I lowered the reserve from 16K near the end to my break even without labor.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Tim, thanks for posting the link. Studebakers have been affordable collectible vehicles for a very long time which is good for us who want to keep adding them to their collections and bad for those who want to sell them for big prices. More and more people are begining to realize the value in them so hopefully that might move the prices a little. IMHO, as for the Maco bodied Corvettes they are the ugliset car on the planet and everyone recognizes it so they remain nearly worthless.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X