welting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welting

I am attempting to replace the interior welting around the windows and doors of a 54 commander starliner. I have discovered that I need to lengthen the tab on the welting and my wife and her magic sewing machine took care of that. Do I have to take out the headliner? It looks good and I hate to disturb it. I have done some of the job around the doors but I am stuck on the part under the headliner. I would appreciate any tips.

If you can get toothpaste back into the tube, you can probably install the "windlace" without removing the headliner. It will be a challenge.
    The windlace is tacked under sheetmetal tabs which are part of the body stamping. A "toothed" strip is then screwed over the windlace and the headliner is tucked in to catch on the teeth.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

actually, I've been told that if you sew a piece of 5/32 welting on the tuck edge of the windlace it will grab onto the headliner teeth and stay in place. I haven't tried it myself but I got this tip from someone with a rather substantial fleet of Studes.....

Comment

Tuck it in long side the headliner with a dull putty knife or a plastic bondo spreader. You may need a little trim adhesive to hold it in a few loose areas,but it can be done.

Oglesby,Il.
        "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Go to a local upholstery shop and ask them to show you the tool for this. It is a half round, nonshark flat blad with a handle. The one I have was made by K-D tool co. It nolonger has a number. I don't know how on pictures yet.

Tex in Alabama
          53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
          X