drilling door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling door locks

I understand there is a way of drilling door locks to repair the floating bar - the one that just goes roundy-round instead of limited half-turns either direction - anyone got the specs on this?

Thanks!

Judy

Judy; you talkin bout the key cylinder or the rotary "Door Latch"? I don't know what a "floating bar" is.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The problem that you describe (roundy-round) is due to a small boss on the back of the lock cylinder being broken. A replacement of the whole assembly is the easiest remedy, but matching keys then is an issue. The lock cylinder itself can be replaced, but then matching keys is still an issue. A locksmith (or a crafty shade tree mechanic) can reset the tumblers.

The key (no pun intended) is knowing how to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. You put the housing in a vise, right side up, and measure back 15/16" from the front of the cylinder. Carefully drill a 1/8" hole down from the top. Go slowly and stop when you can see the edge of a brass strip. Take a piece of stiff wire and depress this brass strip (it is spring loaded). This will release the lock cylinder to be removed from the housing. You will see where the boss that prevents full rotation is broken from the back of the cylinder. Find a used assembly that isn't broken, and remove its cylinder in the same way. The tumblers can be swapped so that your existing key works, Then insert the cylinder back into the housing. A dab of caulking to cover the drilled hole is a good idea to keep dirt and water out.

Hope that this helps.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Wow, great tip, Jim! Makes me want to go do it just to see how it works, just so I'll know if I ever need to!

Thanks for sharing![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

We received a hand-out on this technique at our meeting last night, with one additional suggestion - rotate the key so the head of the retaining clip is opposite to the drill bit, that way you don't have to worry about drilling too deep and slicing the retainer in two.

j

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

The problem that you describe (roundy-round) is due to a small boss on the back of the lock cylinder being broken. A replacement of the whole assembly is the easiest remedy, but matching keys then is an issue. The lock cylinder itself can be replaced, but then matching keys is still an issue. A locksmith (or a crafty shade tree mechanic) can reset the tumblers.

The key (no pun intended) is knowing how to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. You put the housing in a vise, right side up, and measure back 15/16" from the front of the cylinder. Carefully drill a 1/8" hole down from the top. Go slowly and stop when you can see the edge of a brass strip. Take a piece of stiff wire and depress this brass strip (it is spring loaded). This will release the lock cylinder to be removed from the housing. You will see where the boss that prevents full rotation is broken from the back of the cylinder. Find a used assembly that isn't broken, and remove its cylinder in the same way. The tumblers can be swapped so that your existing key works, Then insert the cylinder back into the housing. A dab of caulking to cover the drilled hole is a good idea to keep dirt and water out.

Hope that this helps.

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

Comment

quote:rotate the key so the head of the retaining clip is opposite to the drill bit, that way you don't have to worry about drilling too deep and slicing the retainer in two.
            Now that's a great idea!

It should be noted that this information pertains to the later model locks of the style without a swinging cover. I don't know if there is a similar procedure for the older locks.

Another common annoyance is a car where someone has replaced the door locks, and you have three different keys to deal with. I have bought spare used lock assemblies (cheap) at swap meets. Once the cylinders are removed from the assemblies, changing the tumblers to match an existing ignition key is not too difficult. IIRC, the tumblers each have three possible heights. With a couple "parts cylinders" to work with, you can match the door locks to the ignition key.

Jim Bradley
            Lewistown PA
            '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Here's a back-handed solution.....don't ever lock your car. I have had my Studebakers broken into twice. There was nothing to steal, but the carnage caused by the break-in cost me a bundle. I've since then just left the cars open. Invite the would be thief to carefully open the door and peruse the empty interior and leave without doing damage. Works every time! (I think)

Brian K. Curtis,
              1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
              1949 1/2 ton pickup
              1963 GT Hawk custom
              1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Working...
              X