PDA

View Full Version : Not sure a Skytop is for me after all...

bams50
05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I happen upon a 62 Lark brochure I hadn't looked at in some time. I got to the page with the Lark hardtop. In the text it says- direct quote-

"A happy choice for the young and gay! Gayer still with Lark's exclusive optional Skytop sunroof."

[:I]

I don't know how I missed this before! Maybe I need to reconsider my r2 clone project... don't want to give an incorrect impression on the street[:0]

Wonder if straight guys drive r2 Wagonaires?:D

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

rockinhawk
05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Go ahead with the project Bams, And paint it PINK. I recently saw a tough looking Red Neck type guy with a pink T shirt that said "Tough Guys Can Wear Pink!"

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

Mark57
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Aother reason to stick with a good, solid Studebaker Transtar! [}:)] :D

It's a "Haul of Famer" with "Big Truck Brawn... Power & Payload". and, it has "Husky New Truck Styling!" [^][8D]

No chance of an incorrect impression here... ;)[:o)]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0099A.jpg

61hawk
05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Could be worse, could be a Hybrid too.

mbstude
05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
There's a local guy here with a Pepto Pink '62 Lark. Four door sedan, OHV 6, and auto trans. Has power steering too. The interior is pink and white. It's a sight to see.

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar-9.jpg

JRoberts
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

There's a local guy here with a Pepto Pink '62 Lark. Four door sedan, OHV 6, and auto trans. Has power steering too. The interior is pink and white. It's a sight to see.

I'm not too sure its a sight I want to see.:D

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

GTtim
05-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh come on Bams, I don't think anyone will question your masculinity! Have some fun, go for it. Maybe the guy that wrote that had a few bars at the Gay Bar, which is of course in Gay, Michigan.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

BobGlasscock
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
CHAMPIONS RULE!

:D

No need for questions. :)

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

bams50
05-09-2008, 09:53 PM
:D

Gotta love that copy! There's lots of funny copy from those days that makes me chuckle- my sig. line, for example[:o)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by 61hawk

Could be worse, could be a Hybrid too.

Actually, mine is sort of a hybrid- 62 body, r2 engine, Mustang trans........

Luckily, no $6K battery pack in the trunk....

Parish, central NY 13131

barnlark
05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Even the Flintstone song has that in it... I know you aren't serious, so lets see that skytop done, pal, quit stalling! We want pictures of some serious body work this summer, Bams.
Two more things..as my neighbor explained one day about the color his wife chose for his house, "it's not pink, it's coral!" ...and a Stude truck doesn't always spell straight. Since this thread is probably violating some P.C. rules, I'll stop before I get yelled at, too!

avantilover
05-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Of course "Gay" was quite a compliment in the old days describing someone who was happy and carefree and pleasant to be with.

Just like Bams I imagine.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

bams50
05-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks, John, by your description I'd like to think it does fit!:D

Barnlark- I have been picking away at it some... after all, it's on stands in my middle bay in the garage[xx(] I'm taking lots of pictures as I go...

One of my hopes for Lancaster is a big turnout for Lark, especially Daytonas; I'm waiting till then to make a final decision on color.

So, I have time;)

Parish, central NY 13131

Roscomacaw
05-10-2008, 09:39 AM
How did Seinfeld say it?.... "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"[:X]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Steve T
05-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Hee hee!

Actually I was looking fairly seriously at a Pepto-pink '63 Lark four-door at the same time as I was checking out the blue '62 I now own. The '63 had a Chev 305 and GM floor-control auto in it. Figured I'd cruise it for one season in pink, then get it painted some less protrusive shade for the longer term...Neighbours would probably not have been too pleased that first year. They like Betty though. Think I made the right choice.:)

S.

63larkcustom
05-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I guess Archie Bunkers spirit is alive and well

bams50
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Every so often I see pink cars of all makes turn up... remember the 58 Stude wagon that's all pink? Owned by a lady, and pretty cool.

I definitely can't see a Daytona looking good in pink... but I'd take a 55-60 Caddy in pink in a minute![:p]

Parish, central NY 13131

studesnbldr
05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Is this thread even necessary?? If a "man" is so insecure as to worry about what people might say about his driving a supposedly femine color car, then he has issues. If you're secure in your masculinity, I say drive whatever color car you want & to h*ll with what others think. This is 2008 folks, not 1958. "Gay" in the context of the period brochure had the meaning of happy & carefree, not homosexual as the word is now defined. Call me too PC, but let's not portray the SDC as homophobic. This organization, like all others has gay (as in homosexual) members too, not to mention women, people of color, people with disabilities, etc. Let's keep this forum about the cars & the great Studebaker folks and not worry about what color is or isn't too "gay".

Christof Kheim
---studesnbldr
christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net

barnlark
05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Barnlark- "I have been picking away at it some... after all, it's on stands in my middle bay in the garage. One of my hopes for Lancaster is a big turnout for Lark."

I was just razzing you. That is a lot of work and you sounded pumped up after getting the R2, so I was making sure one brochure shouldn't change the progress! Going with red after all that? R2 emblems look good with that color.

Way ahead here, but what's the thought on the interior colors? What goes with autumn leaves blowing in the skytop?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0087-1.jpg

bams50
05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Actually, I'm 95% set on the red and white interior. I keep going back and forth between red and white; but I could still go with any color with a different color interior.

I'm still in the clean sheet of paper stage- or as Disney management calls it, "Blue Sky" stage.

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

I happen upon a 62 Lark brochure I hadn't looked at in some time. I got to the page with the Lark hardtop. In the text it says- direct quote-

"A happy choice for the young and gay! Gayer still with Lark's exclusive optional Skytop sunroof."

[:I]

I don't know how I missed this before! Maybe I need to reconsider my r2 clone project... don't want to give an incorrect impression on the street[:0]

Wonder if straight guys drive r2 Wagonaires?:D

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

Bob A. - I see the smile and know that you are only kidding. Fifty years ago, gay had a different meaning.

I have known several people that have owned new or used Skytops, including myself, and none were gay (in the modern sense).

I do know one guy that was the original owner of a 1963 R1 Daytona Wagonaire and he was/is gay (in the modern sense).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

raprice
05-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey, my '59 Lark Hardtop is pink (Tahiti Coral). You should hear the great comments I get from women. If I would have known how much of a "chick magnet" it is, I would have bought one when I was a young man.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

barnlark
05-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I saw a tahiti coral '59 four door lark deluxe in a driveway in Altadena, California two weeks ago while visiting my father. It was a very flat tahiti coral and the guy's yard looked like one that had more love into the car than the yard work. Odd for that area, but my guess is he's up in age, anyway he had taken the time to put tahiti coral scallops in between the silver ones on the full hubcaps. Cracked me up. My dad, not being a Studebaker appreciation guy, asked, "is that the original color?" to which I responded, "yes, coral." He, of course said "yuck".
You have to appreciate that color for the decade from which it came..even if it had turned a smog brown, flat coral by 2008. Cool car. Next time I go up there, under Mount Wilson, I will have to stop and talk to this guy, or gal, camera in tow..

Here are my friends Richard and Ann Lindsey's tahiti coral 1960 lark convertible in front of mine..not a '60 color, but he bought it that way. Very beautiful car.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0057.jpg

barnlark
05-11-2008, 11:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by studesnbldr

Is this thread even necessary??
Christof Kheim
---studesnbldr
christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net

I was going to let this go but I decide not to because most of us had made an effort to move on and discuss cars and Studebaker colors, which the last time I checked was within the realm of this forum. This thread started with a direct quote from an original brochure. It's funny how terms have changed and that's how I viewed that post. No one was bashed or meant to be bashed and when someone wants to censor an observation and opinions on this forum, THAT ticks me off worse almost as much as terming the SDC as homophobic because we may talk about it. No kidding this club has all types of people in it. All are welcome. "Gay" is a term they made up for themselves in the sixties, not a snide behind the back term, anyway. Big deal, nobody cares anymore anyhow. We all have to live with each other and I personally am not going to apologize for being straight anymore than I will attack those who aren't. People who ARE gay know how the world is and over-PC people can voice their opinion too, but I'd appreciate not being scolded for a legitmate subject that was not intended to insult anyone.