Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP ASAP! Tightening of Crankshaft Bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ASAP! Tightening of Crankshaft Bolt?

I am trying to reassemble a car [u]today</u> and need any recommendations on an easy way to arrest the engine so the crankshaft bolt can be properly retorqued withoput the engine rotating?? I could try and secure the flywheel, but do not know how without possibly damaging the ringgear teeth.
    The car is a 259 V8 with an automatic trans.
    Your help is appreciated.

Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
    Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    ckheim@yahoo.com

Easiest way is to block the wheels, put the tranny in gear, and torque away.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Easiest way is to block the wheels, put the tranny in gear, and torque away.
      Whacker- Your suggestion would work great if my car were a stick, but my car is an automatic. Suggestions for an automatic??

Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

I just jam a screwdriver in one of the teeth and brace on the block. I've never busted a tooth.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I just jam a screwdriver in one of the teeth and brace on the block. I've never busted a tooth.

JDP/Maryland
          I've done this dozens and dozens of times and never had a problem.

Comment

Nylon rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole...don't forget to leave some hangin' out (G)

Comment

Screwdriver in the flywheel teeth. No way you could harm anything like that.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Thanks to JDP, bams50, & Allan for their input. The screwdriver method works just fine.

PS to 'bige'- a couple of friends have tried the rope trick and ended up with bent valves! Just a word of caution.

Christof Kheim
                ---studesnbldr
                Christof Kheim
                ---studesnbldr
                ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

There are 2 Top Dead Centers. The one with both valves closed is when the plug fires, so turn the engine until the rotor points to the wire leading to the cylinder about to be roped. Use a long plastic straw in the plug hole as a gage and rotate the engine counterclockwise (to resist clockwise bolt tightening rotation) to about mid stroke and feed in plenty of rope.

Comment

Thanks RE: the rope trick...I did it once to replace valve springs so the rockers were off, but I didn't think about the consequences in other situations.

Bought a $10 piston stop a few years ago for the crank bolt stuff.

quote:Originally posted by studesnbldr

Thanks to JDP, bams50, & Allan for their input. The screwdriver method works just fine.

PS to 'bige'- a couple of friends have tried the rope trick and ended up with bent valves! Just a word of caution.

Christof Kheim
                    ---studesnbldr

Comment

Nylon rope works just fine. You just want to use a cylinder that is at TDC compression stroke.[]

Gordon

Comment

Hi, new to the forum; Studebaker mechanic for 20 years. last worked with Bill Oliver in So-Cal; Try this:
                        Rotate the crank until the #1 cylinder is starting to go up on the compression stroke.
                        Remove the #1 plug, and feed in cotton clothes line into the hole. leave about 6" out for removal. turn the engine over by hand until it locks and then tighten your bolt!
                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X