PDA

View Full Version : 1961 hawk exhaust question

studelover
05-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I have the Silvertone stainless steel exhaust system from Mr. Simmons. This systen has great fit and the measurememts are so dead on I can't believe that he was able to bend the pipe without a hawk in his shop. I do have a question for the hawk owner's, If you had to remove your starter would you have to remove the header pipe on the driver's side? The reason I am asking is there is a slight leak at the header pipe, if I tack weld it will this come back to haunt me later? He told me to cut some slits in the pipe so it could be tightened better. I have seen many header pipe pic here and I have seen that some of you put two clamps on either side. I guess you all do it to get a better seal?

Studebakers forever!

StudeRich
05-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Actually the dual clamp thing is not what it seems, it is not "OUR" idea it is Studebaker Engineering's![^]

At the Bellhousing front cover plate there is supposed to be a Bracket to secure the system to the engine, Studebaker used a large one piece but Dual clamp to both secure the pipes to the engine AND clamp the Head pipe to the rear exhaust pipe at the same time. See Chassis Parts Catalog.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

N8N
05-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I thought the brackets had been discontinued by then, but the double clamps remained. There was a query posted just yesterday about the brackets with a picture but I didn't reply because I didn't know the answer to his question.

Anyway, I don't see an issue with a tack weld, you ought to be able to remove the starter without removing the pipe. I also have smeared the pipe joints with high temp silicone before slipping them together to seal them up - muffler cement also works but is more permanent.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

ROADRACELARK
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Unless you're a stickler for authentisity, I've had great success with the stainless steel band type clamps sold by Jegs and Summit. They seal great and they don't crimp the pipe like the original type clamps do. By rotating the band clamp, you can have the retaining bolts on top of the pipe and almost completely out of sight. Nice clean appearance. Hope this helps.:)

Dan Miller
Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.