1949 Truck VIN Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Truck VIN Location

I was given a Studebaker truck from my father in law before he passed away. I just got this truck home after it has been sitting in the California desert for more than 30 years. There is no interior in this vehicle. I was told it was a 1949 (my in laws have not been able to find the title yet). I cant seem to find the VIN on this truck. Any help would be much appreciated as I would like to research the truck some prior to starting restoration. I do have what I believe is the original flathead engine and transmission.

Thanks for any help out there. I am really excited to get started on the truck restoration.

Open the driver's door, and look on the 'seat riser' panel just below the seat, right above the 'step plate'. You should see a little stainless tag with all sorts of stuff on it, including the (stamped) serial number. Post that number and someone on here can tell you what year it is.

Good luck on your project. You've come to the right place for information.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matthew...I looked last night and if I am looking in the right location, it doesnt appear to have the ID plate on the truck. I looked on the inside of the door where the well is for the step up and it looks like there was a location for riveting a plate (I noticed almost the identical thing on the passenger side as well). I do have the stamp number off the block as being 1R99106. Any suggestions here? Thanks...Steve

Comment

Your engine number is correct for a 170 cubic inch truck engine in a 2R series truck, made between 1949 and 1953. Those nubmers started at 1R-001 and ended around 1R-148xxx. As a result, your truck's engine is more likely to be a 50 or 51 model, rather than 49. You seem to be looking in the correct place for the serial number, so apparently it was either stolen or lost. Many states used to use the engine number for registrations purposes, so you may not need a serial plate if the title shows the engine number.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip...thanks so much. I am learning a lot about the Studebakers through all of the knowledge on this site. I am joining the Studebaker Drivers Club and look forward to the continued relationships that I make on this site. My wife and I are planning on attending the national meets which sound like fun.

Comment

Forgot to mention my location. Steve Saeger in Marysville, Ohio.

Comment

Here's a blury photo of the cab, paint numbers plate. It seems that your Serial number plate is missing, it's a stainless piece with black overlay that was simply screwed on. The trucks assymbly line number and pertinent gross weight numbers were stamped. Good luck with it.

1 2r-c2 = cab model, they all were this number 49-53
              2 Cab number next - No attempt to match these with serial numbers, serial number not cab number tells the order in which your truck was made on the assymbly line.
              3 Trim number
              4 Paint code mine 2204, these told the color combination of truck and wheels only. Iroquois Blue with red wheels, (I always for get either cherokee red or cimmaron, either way you get the idea) Paint formula's themselves have to be researched.
              Post a picture, I'm sure we can help in letting you know the color, The year possibly by what's on the truck, ie shocks, rear end tags, heater boxes, interior shots etc. Those engines are truck specific so as far as a restoration point your on track.

19492r5

Chop Stu
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Steve-
                Given that you don't have a serial plate, you need to do everything you can to either find the title or obtain a duplicate from the state in which the truck was last registered. Some states destroy all records after about 25 years, while others will generate a duplicate for a small fee if the last registered owner (or their heirs) requests it. If the truck was registered with its engine number (and the engine number in the truck matches that number), then you don't really have to worry about having a serial plate. Once you determine the exact year of the truck, you could probably even obtain a used serial plate from the correct year if you wanted one. Of course, the serial number wouldn't be the "correct" one, but it would be appropriate for the year of your truck. I know that a number of SDC members save serial plates from Studes in junk yards, and might be willing to part with one to make your vehicle more correct.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks guys...the picture does help me determine I am looking in the right place and yep...it is gone. I will work on getting some pictures together this weekend and post a link to where they exist so maybe you could help me better determine the year on this truck.

It is in really great shape having been sitting in southern California for 30+ years. It was sitting in at my in laws place in the southern Mohjave Desert. I have everything with the truck. The only thing wrong with it is a dent in the drivers side rear fender which looks like a good body man could pull out.

I am fortunate as my father is an engine builder and has a full machine shop so rebuilding the engine and transmission is something he knows quite well. The transmission still works as well as the water pump etc. He pulled the cylinder head and no rust or anything in the engine.

Steve Saeger
                  Marysville, Ohio

Comment

Welcome, Steve. The Ohio Region would be glad to have you as a new local member. We have a small meet this summer and a big one at Wink's in Barberton the last Saturday in August every year. We have many knowledgeable truck guys, Ed Davies being one of them. Check the roster or email me and I will give you our local info. We'd like to see that truck at a meet..

Comment

[img][/img]

Some of the trucks last year at Winks

[img][/img]

Your desert truck would fit right in there!

Comment

I finally got a few pictures of this truck on line. I will load a few tomorrow from work as that is a faster connection and wont take me as long. You can see these at:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Steve Saeger
                        Marysville, Ohio

Comment

Nice Pics Steve, I hear those 2R5's with the Wine Barrel engine, run pretty good!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Truck's makin' a whiskey run!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Looks like yer ready to stock up on gas before it goes to six bucks a gallon...

Comment

Working...
                              X