Cuttin' Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttin' Coils

I am lowering my 53 commander starlight by cutting the frt coils. It has been forty seven years since I lowered a 53 by cutting coils. I have forgotten if I cut one and one half ,etc. Can anyone give me a kind of rule of thumb on how much is how low. NO, I am not cutting the ones I am using later for a restoration. They are spares, but I still want to do it only once.

Tex in Alabama
    53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

My 53 commander had new heavy duty springs in the front and sat 3 inches too high. I had a local but well recommended spring shop remove 2 inches (their number) from the top of my springs. They cut them off with a torch, square, not tapered (although tapered with a torch would be too soft to count). The front end came down exactly three inches. It didn't affect handling at all.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 197 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

This is what 1 3/4 torch cut coils looks like on my car, no rubbing and nice and low. I think 1.5 coils is probably a good number for standard springs.

54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

Thanks guys. This is the help I needed. I had in mind cutting one and one half coils. I think I will go to the one and three quarters. Brian, the look you have on your car is what I am going for. Thanks for the pictures. How about alignment, did you have any problems? Anyone else want to add anything ?

Tex in Alabama
        53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54stude

This is what 1 3/4 torch cut coils looks like on my car, no rubbing and nice and low. I think 1.5 coils is probably a good number for standard springs.

54 Champion coupe
          48 Champion Convert

54stude,

That is one great looking C-body! The stance looks just right to me.

I took the liberty of adding the pics here so everyone can see 'em.

Paul
          Winston-Salem NC
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Here's a side view of my 54 with 1 1/2 coils cut up front and 3 inch lowering blocks out back.
            sals54

Comment

I lovit!!!!! Ilike the stance on both these cars. What size front tires and what kind of wheels. Thanks for this picture. Did you have alignment problems?

Tex in Alabama
              53 commander coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

My black 54 has 205-65-15 up front, and 265-50-15 in the rear. Ford stock rims up front. I will be changing to Dodge rims, though just cuz I like the rim design better.
                No alignment problems. It tracks straight and true and does not wear tires uneven at all.
                I think this may be about the max I would go with the stock suspension cuz the camber is maxed out at this setup.
                I am also using a 1 1/4 inch sway bar up front for handling. You can't believe the difference that makes. Some people on this forum have suggested that my car can't handle as well as I say it does, but if you set yours up like this, you will be amazed. And it's cheap, too.
                sals54

Comment

Now I'm just testing to see if my signature box if finally working.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

Testing signature box again.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

Aahhh, that's better.

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

MY 2 CENTS. Cutting coils has always changed the alignment, in my experience. Upper and lower arms are different lengths, ergo different arcs. Lowerering changes the position of the arms in that arc. Would be wierd if the camber didnt change. Caster may not be affected. Usually creates toe out for the same reason. outer tie rod is now above the inner & pulls the rear in, toe out. this is generic, not stude specific.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                        "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

That's why you have to realign the front end after cutting the coils.

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829

MY 2 CENTS. Cutting coils has always changed the alignment, in my experience. Upper and lower arms are different lengths, ergo different arcs. Lowerering changes the position of the arms in that arc. Would be wierd if the camber didnt change. Caster may not be affected. Usually creates toe out for the same reason. outer tie rod is now above the inner & pulls the rear in, toe out. this is generic, not stude specific.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Douglasville, Georgia
                          Be sure to check out my eBay store
                          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                          for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Don, I know I have to realign the gront end. I was just asking if the front end had enough adjustment to realighn after lowering. Right Jerry, it will change. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Tex in Alabama
                            53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I think I mentioned that in my post. The camber did change. I had to adjust it out to its max to get the wheels straight. Once done, though, I have not had any problems with tracking or tire wear. The ride is firm and confident. I don't hesitate to move very quickly around corners. It shocks many. If I'm in a particularly fiesty mood, I can go through a corner with great gusto. The back end will come loose if pushed to the extreme, but the flat cornering allows me to gain control with a little steering and a bit of throttle. Too much fun.

sals54
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X