Got the speedo working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the speedo working!

Kent sent a treasure box up with Dick some time ago and I got over to Fred's last week to get it, finally. I installed the speedo cable in Bess and the speedo now works for the first time in, probably, several decades. Now I can tell why people are flashing those very interesting hand signals!

I got my first birthday gift is quite a few years ago yesterday. George, my roomate/landlord, gave me a service trailer. Kinda like a rolling toolbox. It's used and old, but really cool. Should look great behind Bess.[8D] Now I don't have to carry my tools in the back of the old girl. She should appreciate that! I know I will. All I have to do is replace that sloppy waterpump and put in a temp gauge that gives me something I can understand. Might as well put in an oil pressure gauge as well.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron - I know your joy! I had a '58 Transtar many years ago that had the speedo cable break shortly after I had bought it. It was a real pain in the a** trying to guess how fast I was driving and the many shades of grey and red primer on the truck did not function well as camouflage either! [}]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Good job, Ron! Now the only question is the accuracy. I often wonder if ANY cars below the 70s have accurate speedos[}] My 36K 65 Lincoln is inaccurate at different points, and that's another thing: These older speedos tend to be more or less accurate at different speeds, further adding to the fun[xx(]

If I want to be sure of accuracy, I take my GPS; but the problem os it looks SO out of place in the interior of a silly old 60 Lark[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

You think state-of-the-art looks archaic in a Lark? Try in a '50s wagon! Yeah, I get the idea that the speedo isn't accurate. Still its a good guesstimate.[:I][8)]

Here's what the trailer looks like on Bess:

Note the wheelcovers:

George says I'm sick (LOL).

It's not perfect, but I really like it. May have to put brakes on it though. Even empty the trailer's a bit much for Bess' brakes.[:0][B)]

Lotsa Larks!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
        X